Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water guns > General
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 05-19-2006, 08:41 PM   #16
Silence
Administrator

UserID: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duxburian
If you want double stoke pumps, tracked ones are extremely easy to do that with. In fact, I don't even see how a non-tracked one would work with double stroke pumping...
The method I suggested for building a non-tracked two-stroke pump should be abundantly clear from the "Two-Stroke Pump" thread. While it may be slightly harder to implement--it has messed up the layout for the homemades I'm going to build--it will provide nearly twice the pumping ability, without the extra length that m15399's tracked pump in the link involves.

When I mentioned the possibility of modifying a CPS 4100 to use a non-tracked pump, it was more of a joke. However, I'm still disappointed--it should have been possible to create at least a 9" pump, which would have given slightly less (but more drawn out) pumps to fill the CPS bladder.

Hopefully, the cheap Plasti-Dip mod for my CPS 4100's slippery pump handle should do the trick...though it still won't be as good as one would hope. The thing about non-tracked pumps is that the handle can be perpendicular to the pump shaft, and that means your hand will have a better grip and won't slip as easily. A good example is the XP series, but those guns also feel very flimsy all-around...

I probably won't need to hold the gun in a more comfortable location such as on the track of a pump simply because I will rarely be running around trying to find people to fight in large battlefields. Encounters are so close in time that I am either shooting or pumping before the next showdown.
Old 05-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #17
DX
A Shrouded Figure

UserID: 75

A long time ago, I made a design for the two-stroke concept to be implemented in a tracked pump. The funny thing is, despite there being very few changes necessary, it never got built for one reason or another. But if one wanted to do it, it would be extremely easy with very little alteration of design needed.

You can make tracked pump handles perpendicular. You just do something along the lines of using a T piece for the handle and attach something sticking down from it.

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!
DX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #18
Silence
Administrator

You should post the design for your two-stroke tracked pump in the thread I linked to, or at least post a link to the thread in which you first proposed it--assuming, of course, that you posted the concept. I'm interested.

Sure, I could add a perpendicular handle, but it wouldn't be that great because your hand won't actually be pushing along the line of the pump shaft. In a non-tracked pump, even ones that use Ts (but not Ls, as used in the XP series), you're comfortably pushing right against the pump shaft. However, I'm really excited about adding liquid latex to the grip of my CPS 4100's pump, so I'll try that and report back as to how it was.

It's funny how a CPS 1200 review thread got turned into a discussion of the CPS 4100's pump and a debate concerning the types of pumps.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:10 AM   #19
isoaker_com
Administrator

UserID: 301

Not sure I'd recommend a two-stroke pump for general handheld water blasters. While it is more efficient in a sense (pumping water during both the pulling and pushing of the pump shaft), from a usage-sense, it feels a lot more awkward. Storm Guns used two-stroke pumps. Resistance while extending the pump means one needs to hold the blaster more tightly with the supporting hand. Though good for building muscles, people are generally stronger at squeezing their arms together as opposed to spreading them apart. I'd be more inclined to recommend larger single-stroke pump volumes instead. I miss the older pumps like on the XP150 that pushed just over twice the volume of the current modern stock-soaker pump. If they slapped a XP150 pump onto the CPS1200, it'd be an even better stock soaker than it currently is. :P

Old 05-20-2006, 10:21 AM   #20
Silence
Administrator

In the two-stroke pump thread, joannaardway mentioned that the volume of the pump shaft will cut down on the volume of the compartment farther away from the user. If you make it big enough, you could get about 1/2 or 2/3 the volume in that compartment than in the standard pumping compartment, and that would be quite useful without adding extra hassle. I'm also going to create a pump grip shaped like a large "O," so my thumb, which is inside the "O," can help push the pump out; it might be like the Defender's grip.

But I concur, larger pumps are definitely much more battle practical. I will almost certainly use a 3/4" ID in the pump of my linear PCgH, but if I also build the nonlinear PCgH that I first proposed, that will use the 3/4" pump and the linear PCgH's pump might be only 1/2".