Pistols: Backup or Regular weapon in it's own right?

General water gun discussion.
Blues

Pistols: Backup or Regular weapon in it's own right?

Post by Blues » Fri May 28, 2010 9:53 am

Just wanted to ask your opinion on the subject. We all know that a regular gun is best, but in the right circumstances, can a simple trigger pistol be as useful as a full sized super soaker? I know I had one that was. A yellow luger that had 10 meters of range on it. Unfortunately it was thrown onto some concrete and broke. What's your opinion and have you ever had a pistol that's good as a regular weapon. Note that modified guns don't count.

cantab

Re: Pistols: Backup or Regular weapon in it's own right?

Post by cantab » Fri May 28, 2010 3:30 pm

If you mean squirt guns, they're only worth it for stuff like Assassins.

If you mean compact pressurised blasters, they work well in OHKO games if they have good range, in general if no heavy weapons are being used, and also if mobility is important above all else.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Sat May 29, 2010 2:07 am

Squirt pistols are a terrible choice for secondary weapons. A small Max-D or XP usually makes a better compact sidearm.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 29, 2010 3:12 am

Because there are pressurized reservoir blasters available that are the size of squirt guns, they make a much better choice. Squirt guns are cheap and really not much of use, but you can make games that use them. (i.e. Your water warring group may use squirt gun duels as a tiebreaker, or to settle disputes, or you may have a soakfest assault game, where one team has to achieve an objective but faces heavy opposition because they have squirt guns and are fighting people with regular soakers, then the assault/defense groups switch roles between rounds.)

Edit: How did I make so many terrible typos on here? 0_o
Last edited by C-A_99 on Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat May 29, 2010 1:49 pm

No pressurised blaster can get as small as the smallest squirt guns. You can get ones that are like less than two inches long. But they hold hardly any water and really are just for Assassins.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sat May 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Actually, isn't the XP 70 about that small?
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 29, 2010 7:13 pm

Most small squirt guns aren't much smaller than the XP270 though. I haven't seen any smaller than the little pistols with a 3" "barrel" and with a handle that goes up to your middle finger.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun May 30, 2010 11:40 pm

No sorry, wrong gun, I meant the XP 15. The XP 215 is also really tiny.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon May 31, 2010 3:27 am

Yeah, my ss10 looks to be a bit smaller than the XP 15, or the same size, but I'm not sure.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

DX

Post by DX » Mon May 31, 2010 5:57 am

Keychain soakers are tiny as hell, don't have much more output than a standard squirt gun, but those things get ranges...my old MXL keychain soaker could hit 25ft. Back in high school, I would bring it into classes and shoot friends - people were always surprised by the range.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Chernobyl

Post by Chernobyl » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:17 pm

Is this the MXL keychain soaker youre talking about.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Super-Soa ... B001KN99G2

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:12 pm

cantab wrote:No pressurised blaster can get as small as the smallest squirt guns. You can get ones that are like less than two inches long. But they hold hardly any water and really are just for Assassins.
One handed guns can work quite good with big shield in other hand. I have 1 meter wide plastic shield, but it is useful only in short duels. It gets annoying if you have to carry it around for 2 hours...

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:11 pm

You can one-hand air pressure blasters just as easily with a shield and get 3 times more range. For the cost of having to pump it occassionally, it's worth having the range. Also, shields tend not to be useful if they aren't large, depending on how skilled the player is and the rules of the game pertaining to hits.