Solenoid/Sprinkler Valve

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:24 pm

I know. It's odd to see a moderator asking questions in their own forum, but I need to know how these things work. I am thinking about getting one and modding my Douchenator. I need to know how the electrical part of it works. I'm not the best with electronics (Been shocked several times) so I want to make sure its in my capability. :P

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:27 am

Hmmm... Either nobody knows or nobody has read this, nib. I know this is a bump, but that's the point to draw attention.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:06 am

I'd reccomend not using the electric part on a sprinkler valve. On my wbl that has the valve, the electric part doesn't even work right. If you turn the solenoid a 1/4 turn, it will manually open the valve. This is not the same as using the manual bleed knob, which will over time ruin the valve. Also, (I know this about the regular ones, not sure about the inline) they make a Hasbro HQ of a lot of noise. Use in a fight might make someone call the cops to complain about noise. Just get a 2" ball valve, oil it up, and itll work fine on your wbl. If it doenst open well, duct tape a metal rod on the handle so you can have more torque when you're opening it.

true2blue92

Post by true2blue92 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:26 am

Originally posted by NiborDude@Mar 15 2005, 02:24 PM
I know. It's odd to see a moderator asking questions in their own forum, but I need to know how these things work. I am thinking about getting one and modding my Douchenator. I need to know how the electrical part of it works. I'm not the best with electronics (Been shocked several times) so I want to make sure its in my capability. :P
[snapback]23131[/snapback]

Ok I know this is a little old but if you havn't found out...... Sprinkler valves are very simple once you understand them. What happens is the air pressurizes in the valve and it has to be equal on the top of the valve above the diaphram (a little black rubber thing). So lets say you have 10 psi of pressure in the valve there is going to be 10 psi above the diaphram. Now once they become unequal the valve lets all the air out. So what the solenoid does is clicks this little piece of metal to let just a little air out. Therfore the air on both sides isn't equal. So the all the air realeses into the barrel. Although to get the solenoid to work it takes 24 volts. There are different ways to get this one is by making a project box with a button to release it. Although to do this you will need 3 9v batteries (really is 27v but it will be fine). The 9v batteries run out about every 5-10 times you shot it and can get very expensive. So to get the same method you can moddify the sprinkler valve and don't use the solenoid. To do this you would drill a hole in the top and attach a blow gun. Which is a little thing you hook up to a compressor that just shots air. So when you pull the trigger on the blow gun it preforms the same method and lets just a little air out. If you would like to know more on how to do this and maybe some pics just say so. :)