Hello and questions regarding homemades

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
unigamer

Hello and questions regarding homemades

Post by unigamer » Fri May 19, 2006 1:18 pm

Hello, I am new here.

I would like to make the standard APH
http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/aph.php

I live in the UK and am hoping that someone can suggest a good website to get parts from. While many sites such as Screwfix have some of the neccessary parts they don't have everything.

Thanks! :)

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central; it's good to see yet another person who wants to make a homemade instead of getting a commercial soaker.

First of all, while I haven't read or used the "PVC In The U.K." thread over at SoakerMedia (SM), it has a link to some PVC suppliers. Once you're here for a while, you'll learn that there are quite a few people from the UK who need access to such parts. Ben occasionally offers shipment of parts, especially LRT (which can also be ordered from McMaster-Carr), which is used in CPHs. I suggest you build a CPH, as that might be cheaper and will certainly be more battle-practical than an APH, and if possible, you could use a metal ball valve instead of a standard PVC one (metal ball valves open and close with a click, allowing better pulse shots and the like, so they're similar to Max-D triggers--except, of course, they don't break). Good luck!

unigamer

Post by unigamer » Sat May 20, 2006 9:38 am

Thanks for the info. What is a CPH? I searched and checked the glossary but could not find what you mean. Sadly, this gun will probably never see that much warfare so I am not fussed if it is not the greatest battle gun.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 20, 2006 3:08 pm

The problem with the search tool is that it disregards search terms that are too short in length. Maybe Ben can change that...

CPH stands for Constant Pressure Homemade--basically, the homemade equivalent of Super Soaker's CPS guns. Generally, they involve using Jubilee clips (round metal clamps) that attach LRT (Latex Rubber Tubing, which is the bladder material for CPHs) to the main body. Ben's CPH, "Leftovers," basically revolutionized the homemade soaker "industry."

Because they use CPS technology, CPHs can provide constant power--which translates into constant range and output--throughout a shot, because the same amount of force is applied by the rubber no matter how full the bladder is. This also means you can get a powerful shot after only one pump, though it won't last too long. If you're here for a while you'll become acquainted with CPH technology and the other variations such as PCgHs (stands for PreCharger Homemade).

By the way, did you read all of the articles and everything at the main SSC site before visiting the forums? Even if you're not interested in all of them, they provide a great introduction and a vast amount of background knowledge.

CPHs can be much cheaper than comparable APHs, but it depends on where you get the materials. For LRT, you'll probably have to go to the McMaster-Carr website, but the other materials are similar to those of APHs. Good luck with your homemade water gun, and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Last edited by Silence on Tue May 23, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unigamer

Post by unigamer » Sat May 20, 2006 3:54 pm

Yes I have read through all of the articles - some of them a couple of times :D . I understand how both CPS and APH work, I had just not heard the term CPH :)

I will have a look at building a CPH but I thought I'd read here that they are quite tricky to get right.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 20, 2006 8:39 pm

I don't think they're too tricky to get to work--though you should ask Ben if you really need to. You could PM him if he doesn't reply here soon, as it is hard to see all the new threads (they don't show up as yellow in the subforum index).

Now back on topic...

I forgot to mention that the "blueprints" for Leftovers are supposed to be over at SoakerMedia (SM). I haven't searched for and read the article/thread(s), as it doesn't look too hard to do. However, you can see a picture of it at Soaker Sagas. UPDATE: I looked everywhere at SM, but I couldn't find the article or a thread about Leftovers. Sorry.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Sat May 20, 2006 9:17 pm

Welcome to the task of locating parts in the UK.

There are two main suppliers:

Pipestock (sells 6 metre lengths in almost every size ever created - Go for class E pipe - yes, it is more expensive but it is also safer) - if you want it, they do it.

And

Koicarp.net (cheaper - sells 3 metre lengths, but has less products - only does Class E - will not do below 3/4" pipe)

Google them - they'll pop up. I would post links, but I've engaged "lazy mode".

Screwfix is good, but not for homemades. If you need a compressor at any point, then they are probably your best bet.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 20, 2006 11:10 pm

There is one thread concerning an early CPH that Ben built; it's called "The Beast." The link to the picture doesn't work, but I'm quite positive he renamed it Leftovers.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 21, 2006 3:09 am

Leftovers and that water gun are completely different. Leftovers was very much like a PowerPak, while the thread you linked to was the more common "CPH"-type water gun people seem to want to make.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 21, 2006 3:15 am

Well, there you go. With the picture of the Beast not working properly (I'm assuming that hosting got messed up since it's been so long), I could only tell that the two weapons sounded similar. Sorry about that.

I'm still looking for that good picture of Leftovers. Once you (unigamr) see that, you should get the idea; basically, just imagine the APH with LRT instead of a PVC PC, but with the LRT mounted horizontally. You don't have to mount it horizontally, but it helps with laminar flow and it doesn't protrude as much. The air that is inside the soaker when you store is let out as soon as you shoot the gun pointing up, so you don't need to worry about trapped air, either. I am more interested in CPHs and PCgHs than in APHs, in case you didn't realize that by now ;) ...

EDIT: I found the SSC Leftovers thread, but it doesn't have much in it. I'll keep looking at SM, as I've been thinking about doing a Power Pak-like sidearm that has a special strap and trigger system instead of a grip so you can pump your primary weapon without dropping the SC one.
Last edited by Silence on Sun May 21, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unigamer

Post by unigamer » Tue May 23, 2006 6:30 pm

Thanks.

I'll let you all know if/when (hopefully ;) ) when I start building.