What to scare crows with?

General water gun discussion.
Auskar

What to scare crows with?

Post by Auskar » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:15 pm

I want to scare crows. I want to shoot them with water, I just don't know what would be the best gun and I think you guys are the best at advising me.

I need some distance, not a lot. I need some accuracy, not a lot. I don't want to hurt anyone on the ground. I want to scare the crows, Their constant "caw-caw" irritates the he(ck) out of me. I want to get them and get them good.

Specter

Re: What to scare crows with?

Post by Specter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Use a hose? Create a homemade is probably the best choice.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:09 am

I'm not sure if a water blaster WOULD scare crows. The usual birdscarers are devices that make a loud noise, like a gunshot, but you probably can't use them in town.

Other possibilities include a replica predatory bird (like a hawk or owl), ultrasonic devices, various things intended to be moved by the wind, and of course the old-fashioned scarecrow.

Wikipedia has an article, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_scarer
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:09 pm

[QUOTE=cantab a loud noise, like a gunshot, but you probably can't use them in town.
[/QUOTE]

He could get a cap gun which uses caps placed inside the gun (its basically a really small amount of gunpowder in a plastic shell) the gun has a hammer which strikes the cap when you pull the trigger and sounds like a real gunshot which should definitely scare them.

heres a picture of my cap gun. I think it cost around $15-20 USD and uses 8-shot ring caps which are the loud ones
Attachments
0301091159.jpg
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:15 pm

Honestly, you'll have a tough time clearing 25 feet of height. Not worth it.

cantab has made several good suggestions if all you want to do is scare the birds. :cool:

Daniel

Post by Daniel » Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:47 pm

how far away are the crows?