Fix the pump handle

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
RodeoBlaster

Fix the pump handle

Post by RodeoBlaster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:19 pm

Howdy,
My SS cps 1200, which is about ten years old has finally broken. The grip for the pressure pumping handle snapped first, and now the white tube that is the main body for the plunger has now broken. Does anybody know how to get a whole new plunger handle? I can slip it out of the action by pulling a couple of screws and insert a new one. Let me know. Thanks, I need to squirt fans athe the rodeos I work at.
-RodeoBlaster :cool:

totokan

Post by totokan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:31 pm

There's an article on the main site that deals with this, it's a pvc replacement handle.

RodeoBlaster

where is "the main site"

Post by RodeoBlaster » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:43 pm

totokan- where exactly is this article located? Under a posting?

totokan

Post by totokan » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:17 pm

http://www.sscentral.org/tech/mods/cph.php
If you go to the main site and look under mods, it's called "Custom Pump Handle", but I linked it for you.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:20 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central, RodeoBlaster!

Wow, I forgot about that article...thanks for finding it again :) . You kinda stop looking through old articles after a while, I guess.

Consider simply sliding a wooden dowel into each broken half of the pump tube and using glue to hold it in place. The CPS 1200 is fairly prone to broken pumps because the pump handles are not tracked on the soaker case.

Or you could try replacing the pump with one from another water gun. The dimensions are usually similar.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:39 pm

Most non-tracked pumps that aren't from Pressurized Reservoir guns are all interchangeable, even the PR ones work (but you need to seal something). Even WW guns use the same size pumps.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:57 pm

While the article is not on the website (actually, it's not even written), two years ago I did repair my CPS 1000's snapped pump tube. The repair was actually fairly easy despite what some might think. I had a three pronged attack plan: to strengthen the inside of the pump, the outside, and the broken joint itself. I will explain the repair for now. Pictures aren't on this computer, but I will look for them.

I strengthened the outside with a brass tube available at hobby shops that fits smoothly over the tube. They have these tubes available in diameters in increments of 1/32 of an inch from what I remember, so finding a tube that fit right was easy.

The inside of the tube was strengthened with a wooden dowel.

The joint itself and the entire thing was to be finalized with a good epoxying. I ran out of time back then to do that. Sadly this repair was never completed. I think I'll get to it in the upcoming weeks.

If you don't want to repair the broken shaft, note as some others had that the pumps are for the most part interchangeable. The water gun companies seem to use the same pump diameter for most water guns. If you choose to replace, you should realize that the pumps of today's water guns are often much shorter than those of the older water guns. You might have to epoxy on a dowel to add some more length.

Whatever repair option you choose, we'll be here to help you out if you have any questions, so don't hesitate to ask. ;)