CPS Bladder repair.

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
joannaardway

CPS Bladder repair.

Post by joannaardway » Thu May 04, 2006 9:05 am

I have formed this topic because there are so many discussions on fixing CPS bladders, and it would be best compiled into one thread.

This thread will cover all types of bladder (Diaphragm, Cylindrical, Spherical, etc.)

To the best of my knowledge, there are no glues that will repair these.

Also, there may be chemicals that can melt tears in the rubber back together, but these will not be easily accessible to the public, will not restore them to 100% and may well be toxic.

LRT can be used for Cylindrical bladders, if you can get it.

There are rubber sheets that will allow you to repair the Diaphragm type, and this is probably the easiest repair of the lot.

I have not been aware of a repair for Spherical types, but, if anyone has, enlighten me.

Use this topic for general discussion, but be civil.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 13, 2006 10:42 pm

Theoretically speaking (nobody has done so yet, to my knowledge), the cylindrical bladder repair should be the easiest one. There are two scenarios:

1) Water is leaking out of one of the bladder-to-plastic tube seals. This can be solved quite easily--essentially, one should use a Jubilee clip (one of those circular clamps commonly used to seal hoses onto fittings) over the seal that came with the soaker. Tighten it until it feels like a solid seal has formed, but do not overtighten the Jubilee clip! Overtightening is a common cause of LRT rupture in CPHs.

2) The CPS bladder has ruptured (either over the seal or in the middle). This repair is slightly more difficult, but you'll definitely see CPH-like performance. Remove the CPS bladder, hopefully by using a knife to pry the rubber off the fixed plastic fitting (in other words, not the moving one). Then, before proceeding, scrape or sand the remaining glue off of the fitting. After that, cover the fitting with glue (needed because of the lack of a barbed fitting) and attach a somewhat shorter piece of good LRT. Clamp each end of the LRT with a Jubilee clip, and use a barbed fitting for the free-moving end.

Assuming you can't completely remove the old CPS bladder from the fitting, slice it off right at the edge of the old fixed fitting. Then, attach the LRT using the steps described above, with the LRT clamped over the rubber stub. This isn't too clean a solution, but it should do. In addition, slicing off the old bladder might actually help you pry off the remaining rubber due to the better access, but I'm not too sure.

Covering a leak with a rubber sheet is, unfortunately, a very poor solution. It leaves a weakness somewhere, and isn't very clean at all. If it's a cylindrical bladder, you might as well just use new LRT for the repair/upgrade.

If you're going to post questions about CPS bladder repair, I suggest you post general ones here; for example, "What type of glue (if any) should one use in a repair?" Specific questions just seem to clutter stickied threads that stay alive for a long time.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:37 pm

Yes, I know this is a double post, but it's important: for people who haven't kept track, Ichabodv asked for help in his thread entitled, "CPS 2000 Bladder split, help please!" With help from Ben, he successfully replaced the old bladder with LRT, and then Ichabodv developed a comprehensive guide called "CPS 2000 Bladder repair, how to..." His success is revolutionary, and the guide might be very helpful for those looking to repair and/or replace cylindrical bladders.

The Stealthy Panda

K-mod

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:26 pm

If one of my CPS PCs broke, I would jus K-mod (or colossus) it. :)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Repairing a CPS bladder is not that simple. Neither balloons in the K-mod or bike tubes in Colossus seal onto the rubber. And even if they did seal, the bladder would only expand in the area that was already split because the bladder tends to do what is easiest, and where the bladder is thinnest is the easiest.

Similarly, melting the damaged area together wouldn't be pretty because it would be very hard to melt it together completely and if it was melted like that, the bladder would likely inflate weird in that spot.

Replacement or removal of the damaged area are essentially the only options. ;)

The Stealthy Panda

Post by The Stealthy Panda » Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:01 pm

Hmmmm...that makes sense. But how would one replace the damaged spot? I suppose you could just put in another PC... if you had a broken CPS lying around. :p
Last edited by The Stealthy Panda on Sat Apr 21, 2007 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:51 pm

From what I know, cylindrical bladder CPS guns don't have very compatible bladders. Spherical bladders are generally interchangeable, but not these.

You essentially attach the LRT like you would to a homemade CPS gun. Get a Jubilee clip (a hose clamp, in other words) and tighten it over the LRT, which goes on the plastic piece. Ichabodv's thread might have some details.

soakertoss

hmmm...

Post by soakertoss » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:45 pm

i dont think any thing is wroung with my cps 4100 other than its just worn out how do i replace it??

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:25 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central, soakertoss!

This thread was posted before a guide on the repair was and it needs to be updated. Here's a two links that explain the repair procedure:

http://forums.sscentral.org/t3710/
http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/cp2000.htm

:)