Max-D 2000 Mod Question

Threads about water gun modifications.
Gold Hawk

Max-D 2000 Mod Question

Post by Gold Hawk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:29 am

We all know that the Max-D 2000 has a VERY noisy trigger.

I am planning a huge water war months from now, and my brother is my team's scout, and guerilla fighter. I want him to engage the enemy if he sees them. He like to travel VERY light, and the heaviest gun he will use is an Aquashock Sneak Attack. But usually he carries his trusty M-D 2k.

If he engages the enemy, I want the attack to be smooth and SILENT.

So it comes down to this:

IS THERE A MOD TO SILENCE THE NOISY TRIGGER PROBLEM?

-Commander Gold Hawk
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

sbell25

Re: Max-D 2000 Mod Question

Post by sbell25 » Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:06 am

There was a mod that Hunter did to his Flash Flood a while ago, which sounds like what you want to do: FF Silent Trigger Mod

I've always had trouble with using rubber bands as a replacement for the spring though. Another alternative is to get a pistol that has a silent trigger. I've found that the Lanard X3.5 is a good pistol with a silent trigger, although it's nozzle is smaller, around the same size as the smallest nozzle on the Tiger Shark.

The only problem with Lanard is they have bad quality control. You might have to return the gun several times until you get one that works properly. Once you do, they're a great pistol.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:48 pm

I have an old Lanard Aqua Blaster, and it works fine.

Back to the original subject, that's funny cause my brother also has a Flash Flood. I should try that mod you mentioned when I open it up to fix it today (something came loose inside).

So do you thinki it's applicable to the M-D 2k?

-Gold

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:36 pm

That modification should work for all Max-D guns because they have a similar valve assembly. The Max-D valves are the only valve that Super Soaker uses now.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:13 pm

Woah, hold on.

You're saying the FF is a Max-D gun?!

I didn't know that.

-Gold

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:40 pm

The Flash Flood isn't really a Max-D series gun, but it has Max-D technology. The ball valve firing valve is Max-D technology.

Every pressurized Super Soaker I can think of since 2004 has used the Max-D trigger system. Despite the fact that it limits performance in reality (at least in their current implementation), they continue to use it.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:30 pm

Max-D trigger systems use ball valves (for flow) and a weird spring system (for that clicky, snappy feeling). It's like a keyboard: you start to apply force to the trigger, then once you reach a certain threshold, the valve snaps open.

Of course, the valves are rather unreliable and they often won't close all the way as the water guns age.

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:10 pm

Wait a minute...

Didn't the Max-D triggers give a slight boost of power over just a ball valve trigger, allowing them to shoot oh so slightly further? I know they suck and wear down over a very short time, and are noisy, but it does,(I think) give a little range boost of about 1/2-1 inch.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:34 pm

Max-D technology is a ball valve: There's nothing truly special about it. In theory, this would work great--full, uninterrupted flow is good for performance; but in practice, Hasbro makes in the inner diameter of all the pipes tiny, restricting flow which in turn restricts performance. Kinda makes you think, right?
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:54 pm

It is sad that Hasbro started pushing Max-D as a performance increase when the only version they put out decreases performance. That's not to say that Max-D style valves have to be really small, but we haven't seen a large finger pulled one yet. I suspect this is because little kids would find a larger valve harder to pull, but that is just speculation. If the only way to get high flow is through normal pull valves, go with pull valves. High flow is obviously more important than how laminar the flow is.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:06 pm

Ben wrote:High flow is obviously more important than how laminar the flow is.
That's true regarding the valve itself. You'd obviously want laminar flow coming from the nozzle.

In my experience, the Max-D lineup was a suitable replacement for the XP lineup, disregarding the unreliability and the best water guns like the XP 150 and XP 300. Unfortunately, the CPS line was pretty much ditched anyway.