Flash Flood - Riot Blaster Broken

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Irunan

Flash Flood - Riot Blaster Broken

Post by Irunan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:02 am

I tried reading through other posts and stuff about the Flash Floods, but I'm having trouble finding one that matches my problem.

I have the STE Flash Flood (green - 2005 model). I pulled it out the other day to use in a water fight and my riot blaster does not work. Everything else is functioning properly, but when I pull the riot blaster trigger absolutely nothing happens. I know when I tried to use it last summer I would have to pull the riot blaster trigger three times before it'd shoot any water.

We do have well water so I'm not sure if that could be part of the problem or not. I don't want to open it up if I don't have to. I just need to know if it's pretty much junked and if I should just get a new one from Target (ugly orange). I'd really like to be able to save my Flash Flood if it's possible.

Thanks for any help.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:40 am

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

Does it make any noise when the riot blast trigger is pulled back? If not, the problem most likely is that the little wire leading to the valve fell out of place. That should be a very repairable problem.

I think we'll need a little bit more information to offer a repair however. I'm certain the water gun isn't fatally broken. However, just saying "this part doesn't work" isn't much to base a diagnosis on. A little information about when it stopped working, what was happening when it stopped working would help too.

Also, if you can get the water gun open to investigate, many times the problem's repair becomes obvious. While you might not want to open the water gun, opening isn't a problem and shouldn't take more than 15 minutes if you have trouble.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:11 pm

I'm thinking it's a trigger lock-up, it happens all the time on my 2006 FF, when my rubber band repair gets weak on the main trigger and my FF trigger, while the spring's been intact for about a year, still has weakened and locks up. As of now, I haven't found a good solution, all I know will work now is a rubber band that happens to work.

Irunan

Post by Irunan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:45 pm

2005 >Well, I got it the first year it came out and it worked fine during that summer.
2006 > I think in the beginning of last summer it wasn't working at all. After I kept trying it in various water fights, it eventually began to work after three riot blast trigger pulls. I would pull the riot blast trigger once and nothing would happen, I would pull it twice and it would sound like water was moving around, some might have dripped out. On the third pull it would finally shoot the water out.
2007 > This year when I pull the trigger it's completely silent. The trigger feels like it's pulling fine however.

There was never a specific time during/between water fights where it suddenly didn't work anymore. It seems as though the problem occured during winter storage in my closet. It's gotten worse through each storage.

Other than the riot blast nozzle, everything works perfectly fine on this gun. There's no leaks, the triggers all feel strong still, the main nozzle shoots great, and it pumps well too.

I guess I'll try to open it up later today and take pictures of the innards. I don't have the gun with me right now, but am I going to run into the nozzles being glued on the 2005 STE version? If they'll get in the way of opening her up, how would I go about getting them off? I don't have access to too much so I can't do anything too drastic(like sawing).