CPS 1000

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
totokan

CPS 1000

Post by totokan » Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:22 pm

A CPS 1000 I have leaks when the tank is filled. I have discovered this is caused by a broken piece of plastic connecting the tank to the pump and everything else. After disassembling it, I tried to glue it using contact cement (The only glue I had) but it didn't hold well. Any Ideas? Also, the pump is missing. I want to know if I can use the one from a Max D 5000. Ill upload pics once I get the camera to work.
Broken Part:
Pump I want to use:
Last edited by totokan on Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:13 pm

Hmm...sorry, but I'm having a bit of a tough time visualizing the problem. Could you point to or highlight the broken section in this image? Thanks. :)

My only suggestion is to use a much stronger glue like epoxy or something. Almost all internal cracks can be repaired using plain, strong glue.

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:37 am

With epoxy, do you need to clamp it down? Also, I forgot this pic, sorry:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:38 pm

Clamping helps, especially for pressurized areas...this area isn't pressurized. What I would do is coat the surface in epoxy, fit the pieces together, and wrap it with duct tape. That'll hold the parts together well enough, and duct tape is good enough that you could even forgo the epoxy. Using glue, duct tape, or a combination would be a good idea.

If the Max-D 5000 pump (?) fits well in this pump tube, then just use it. Otherwise, you might have to fashion your own pump with O-rings.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:17 pm

The reservoir to internals connection is typically secured with an o-ring. For purposes of making the gun easier to disassemble, it is best, IMO, to find another o-ring. You don't need to secure it at all because the frame does that, you just need a seal there.

For the pump, just try to get O-rings to fit in the rod and shaft so it seals. For finding o-ring diameters, just measure them and find them at a store or http://www.mcmaster-carr.com

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:45 pm

Hmm... How a pump that originally pumps air could be reused to pump water? (MD 5000 has a single pressurized reservoir)
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:26 pm

The O-ring has to be adjusted or replaced so that it's stationary. Pumps that pump air have O-rings that allow air to go in when you're not pushing on the pump. Also, it obviously has to fit inside the pump shaft. Experiment and see how that goes.

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:40 pm

The pump fits nicely where the other one went, and after plugging a small hole in the middle, it works fine, and even before that, in a wet test before the glue hold broke, it pumped the water normally with no leaking (except where the glue was)
EDIT: Using some silicon sealant I have, I'm going to seal the superglued parts, to make a more permanent hold. This would be the best course of action, as the silicon sealant prevents leaks and acts as a bondant to hold the parts I missed.
Last edited by totokan on Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Air pumps can also use standard O-ring configurations. The special pump you're talking about would probably require too much unconventional design to be bothered with for a commercial water gun.

Maybe you should try just the duct tape first. After all, if it works, it works - and most importantly, it's reversible. Duct tape works well enough for reservoir cracks, and here it won't even be visible externally.

Anyway, good luck with your repair! :)

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:34 pm

just duct tape didn't seal well. The method described above worked fine, though. Also, the pump works just as the stock one does, the problems I would have encountered, as you described them (pump not forcing pressure? You lost me), did not occur. To rephrase that: The pump from my Max-D 5000 works the same as the stock CPS 1000 would. But, for future reference, I'd like to know if the article on building a homemade pump would be relevant for making one for this gun.

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:51 am

AHRG! The pump, as expected, did NOT work. It tried to pressurize the reservoir (I've been calling it tank since I couldn't figure out how to spell it :( )instead of pulling water into the line. So, any suggestions? It's been a few days, so I think it's okay to reply instead of edit.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:56 pm

Right, double-posts are worst when people add things just minutes after posting. I'd never have seen this update had you not posted. :cool:

Maybe the Max-D 5000 pump does have a check valve built in. If that's the case, then there'll be a stretch of the pump rod that the O-ring/seal can slide over. When you pull the pump out, the O-ring/seal slides past a hole in the rod, allowing air from outside to pass into the pump tube through the hollow rod. When you push the pump in, the O-ring/seal slides back across the hole, effectively sealing it off.

See if that's what happens here. Does the O-ring/seal slides a bit on the pump tube, and over a hole? If that's the case, you can plug up the hole with epoxy.

totokan

Post by totokan » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:18 am

yeah, it was. I tried a different pump, one from a Water Warriors: Lightning. It worked, but the gun's power isn't worth the pump being removed from a stronger one, although it has some problems.
EDIT: That's not very clear, is it? The Lightning works, but the trigger doesn't close properly and my way holds it ok (turn nozzle selector to a middle position). The CPS 1000 works fine, but doesn't have any strength (even a simple Vaporizer is stronger than it) and the trigger area (pistol grip) is falling apart.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:59 pm

Well, as guns age, these problems occur more often.

Once again, I would just use the pump from the Max-D 5000. You'll have to take epoxy or some other glue and seal off the opening at the end of the pump rod. You could insert a piece of wooden dowel and glue that in there if you wish, as a plug. That'll make sure the sliding of the O-ring doesn't make a difference.

Good luck with the repair! Sounds like you're almost there. :cool: