SC Power Pak Problems

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
JLspacemarine

SC Power Pak Problems

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:25 am

I've just got a SC PowerPak from one of my friends today (the same one who gave me his broken SC 400 and CPS 1200) and yes, it is broken. The problem is that once filled, it leaks a lot from under it's nozzle selector. I can shoot with it but I'm out of water after 10 seconds. I know, there must be something cracked inside the gun. But the real problem for now is that i don't know how to open it, I can't remove it's casing form the nozzle selector. So I need help from anyone who have an SC PowerPak in his possession , or anyone else who can send me some links and pictures of a opened SC PP if possible.

Thanks!
Last edited by JLspacemarine on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:03 am

Hmm...I originally thought I needed to unscrew the screw on the nozzle selector in order to open my CPS 4100, but it turned out that both halves of the casing just went around the selector. I was disappointed in being unable to get out the screw, but then again, that strength is required to hold the selector in place while firing.

So, make sure it really is the nozzle selector and not something else. You could also try prying the pieces off if necessary, but pictures would really help us (that is, the people who don't have SC Power Paks).

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:57 am

As much as I'd like to offer help, fact is, how the nozzle selector is attached to the blaster part of the SS Power Pak is something I'm not 100% sure about. As I only have 1 and it still works fine, I've not attempted to open it. The problem yours has is either a faulty trigger of a problem with the fast-fill nozzle valve. Have you already tried removing all the screws from the blaster part to see if that helps you remove the nozzle? I realize the nozzle selector seems to go around both of the plastic halves of the casing, but perhaps if the casing is looser, it may allow the nozzle selector to be removed without force.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:43 pm

Here are some pictures of my gun. As you see, I can't open it more than this for now, I'm afraid of breaking something if I use more force.

Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:07 pm

To tell you the truth, it looks more like some of the internals might be stuck somewhere in the plastic opening. Open the soaker as much as possible and see if that's the case (no pun intended); if so, then try to move the internals first.

Otherwise, you might have to pry the nozzle selector from the gun. The interesting thing is that it isn't actually glued on (not completely, at least) as seen in the first picture, so I'd say something else is the cause of the problem.

The SC Power Pak is so awesome...I want one!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:41 pm

I'm fairly sure that you can buy replacement PowerPak guns directly from Hasbro. In fact, I just checked and you can: http://www.hasbro.com/forms/orderform.c ... ker&sku=SS

With a replacement available, if you wouldn't feel confident repairing the problem, just buy a new one. From what I know however, they have a limited supply of these parts and will only provide them as long as they have them. Nothing new is being manufactured according to a question I asked them.

However, with replacement being an option and the gun being broken, don't worry about breaking it further. The worst that could happen is that your partly broken water gun is now a completely broken water gun, and you can replace the broken part!

Sometimes you do have to force things open with water guns and I'm sure someone will eventually appreciate a guide on opening a PowerPak. I'll admit that I don't know a single person who has. I can't offer specific advice, but I will say that they glue a lot of things on hard and sometimes sawing what appears to be stuck off is the right thing to do. There also could be an internal screw only visible with the water gun open or with the nozzle selector removed. Try removing the nozzle selector.

If a replacement from Hasbro is not available because they actually have no PowerPak guns in stock, you also could replace the gun with a homemade equivalent. Using a hose handle nozzle would provide similar function and wouldn't cost as much. ;)

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:21 pm

Ben wrote:I'm fairly sure that you can buy replacement PowerPak guns directly from Hasbro. In fact, I just checked and you can.
This is for US residents only, and I live in Canada :mad: . So unfortunately I can't take the easy way.( If this service exists for Canada residents you could always send me the link)
There also could be an internal screw only visible with the water gun open or with the nozzle selector removed. Try removing the nozzle selector.
It does not seems to be removable, because the quick fill nozzle dose not move with the selector. It is made a little larger at it's base to make the nozzle selector unremovable from outside, and I think the quick fill nozzle is glued to the trigger valve.

At least I have a last resort solution. I can see the part of the casing that prevents me to remove one half, the part is stuck between the trigger valve and the nozzle selector (i think you can see it in one of my pics). Sawing off that piece would be an idea, but it would make the trigger valve's plastic casing weaker.

I won't be doing this for now because usually I'm not sawing anything to fix my soakers, so I'll wait for more suggestions from you guys.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:42 am

Unless that piece is the barrel ( :p ), you probably wouldn't do too much damage by cutting it out.

Anyway, a quick Google search (just a guess really, I didn't know for sure) found their Canada replacement parts order form page. Unfortunately, I don't see Super Soakers listed--although it might use a different name. Sorry.

Perhaps somebody would be willing to get the gun for you...

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:18 pm

SilentGuy wrote:Perhaps somebody would be willing to get the gun for you...
It would be very nice indeed :) , the backpack does not leak at all, but my gun is very used and damaged. I would be willing to pay a little more to buy a new one (it would cost more than it's original price because of the shipping).

I see that my last option is my only one to open that gun, so ill try to cut the part I was describing in my last post. I'll post back soon.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:24 pm

Good, cutting that part was the right thing to do, but since I can't see any cracks on the tubing from this side, I'll have to do the same to the other side for a better view.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:15 pm

Have you tried filling the soaker while this side plastic is off? That might show a leak somewhere...although it doesn't look like removing either side harms the gun. Hope all goes well!

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:56 pm

In the pictures, the O-ring is missing, that went around the QFD part of the nozzle. Would that have any effect on this, or is that unimportant?
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:16 pm

This could very well be the problem. I don't really know where the quick fill nozzle is, so I wouldn't know for sure anyway--but it sounds like it could be the problem. I thought I had asked this, but looking back, I guess not: Does it leak when you fill it up? If yes, then you've probably found the problem.

Then again, I might have missed it when skimming the above. I'll read JLSpacemarine's posts again.

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:26 am

Sorry,but it is not so simple. I already know that the o-ring is missing. I just had to put some duct-tape around the quick fill nozzle to fill the gun. It was more important to know if the gun was broken at first, adding a rubber o-ring on a broken water gun is not very useful ;) .

The real problem is that the trigger valve is cracked. But, even if the crack is shorter than the one on my splashzooka's trigger valve (see my first repair, it is very similar), the higher pressure of the SC power pak makes it harder to seal perfectly with epoxy. Also, there is a little crack on the tip of the inside part of the quick fill nozzle, resulting water spraying out continuously until the blaster is empty. I can't see any way to seal the part directly, so right now I'm thinking about possibilities to create an homemade equivalent. Feel free to post any ideas if you can.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification(s). Perhaps this trigger valve is actually harder to seal up than the Splashzooka's (I'm assuming you've tried epoxy here), but not necessarily because of power differences. Technically, they're both designed to be filled from standard hoses, so they will have similar power. If you're getting better range/performance with the Power Pak, then it's probably because of the nozzle selector.

A homemade gun is a good solution, but remember that the convenience of the rotating nozzle selector probably won't be there. However, it should be just as functional. Hose handles, ball valves, and pull valves are all viable trigger designs, especially in this case.