CPS 1700 Broken trigger transfer

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Hyper

CPS 1700 Broken trigger transfer

Post by Hyper » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:38 am

Finally I'm getting my long-awaited water battle, so I grabbed my CPS1700 and loaded it for a small test.

I pumped it to full power and pulled the trigger. It gave some resistance and then...nothing.

The gun was stuck pressurized. As I read in the guides this means opening up the gun. This was no small task. Everything opens up fine except for the orange nozzle (selector) cap at the front which was glued. Not even with a screwdriver I could get it loose, since the glue appears to be stronger than the plastic. So, the only way to open it was by brute force. This damaged the orange nozzle cap but I think technically everything is fine. When the gun was open the still pressured PC separated a bit to release the pressure.

With the gun finally opened I found the problem: the plastic part that transfers the force from the trigger to the firing valve was broken.
The plastic is broken at the red circle. The metal piece was broken loose.

I'll make some photo's later. I glued the broken plastic back with epoxy yesterday and I'll (try to) reassemble the gun today. I hope it works.

I have good hopes to get the gun back to work. To be continued.
Last edited by Hyper on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resistance is futile. You will be soakinated.

Fredcompany

Re: CPS 1700 Broken trigger transfer

Post by Fredcompany » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:09 pm

Good luck getting this to work!
This seems to be a common problem with the Max-D trigger valves (not that part specifically, but just generally the valve) The Max-D valve seems to be the worst-made part of Super Soakers.
I'm a dude

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:46 pm

Yeah, but a CPS 1700 doesn't have a Max-D valve.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:43 am

Yeah I didn't think while I was typing that
I'm a dude

Hyper

Post by Hyper » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:20 pm

Victory!

But it was a hell to get it assembled again. The casing refused to pop back in place because of the pins at the front-side of the gun. When I finally assembled it it was a failure: The gun was leaking heavily at the point where the pressure chamber connects to the tubing.

So, I had to re-open it. I found out that one of the rubber O-rings was out of it's position which caused the leak. I repositioned it and tested it with some air pressure and it held.

When I re-assembled it for the second time it leaked at the nozzle. The nozzle was locked in the open position because the metal pin holding the trigger valve mechanism was misaligned.

Now, after the third assembling it works fine again. The crack in the plastic which I caused by forcing it open does not affect the functioning of the gun.

I think I'm ready for the water fight now. I'll also bring my XP310 as backup in case it would fail again.

No photo's, I forgot taking them because I was so focused on getting it to work...
Resistance is futile. You will be soakinated.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:40 pm

Nice to see you got it repaired. And yes, water guns with hefty trigger valves generally have trigger axles that fit into holes in both sides of the case.