Full auto power from a hose?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
agateophile

Full auto power from a hose?

Post by agateophile » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:15 pm

Hello, I am a monument of ineptitude searching for answers. I was ranting to a friend of mine when I had the idea to make a super soaker that would fire like a gatling gun of sorts. I supposed that it could be A.) powered by a hose plugged straight into the back, and B.) mounted on a tripod.

The only plans I managed to scribble out resembled the effects of a drunken palsy victim attempting a crossword puzzle, so I came to the great world wide web for help.

Is this sort of thing possible? Or at least affordable? The main things I am looking for is the full auto aspect. Help will be rewarded with my best wishes. Thanks.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:48 pm

So are you looking for something that splits a shot into many small "bursts" to simulate bullets? In the water warfare world, the lasting shot found on soaker--and even more so on hoses, as they can shoot indefinitely--is pretty much like a machine-gun. A gatling-gun would, I suppose be different, but you could simulate one.

Assuming you're fine with just a standard stream, you can do pretty much anything with a hose. If the standard hose nozzles are too turbulent and low-range, then you could get conical nozzles or just create a homemade attachment using PVC. Of course, make sure the barrel is narrower than the inner diameter (ID) of the hose.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:03 am

This is a pretty good idea, either way it's a good idea for some to create something that enhances the range of the hoses. The issue with mine is that the hose screw on is permanently attached to the faucet and the sprayer is permanently attached to the hose end. The other hose is for refilling. Making a modification to the firing hose would be rather hard.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:17 pm

You can buy a "sweeper nozzle" for a hose that has a conical nozzle and a ball valve for less than two dollars. Theoretically, that's about as good as it gets when it comes to efficiency. In fact, that's all that Supercannon II has.

It probably wouldn't be worth the effort to make a mechanism that broke the shot into loads of little burts. The XP 90 had a mechanism like that which people did like, while it worked that was! Part of what make water guns good is the duration of the shot. I can understand the need to extend the duration of the shot with a portable water gun, but be serious here. There's nearly infinite water, so why extend the shot?

It's possible and wouldn't cost too much, but I don't know why you'd do it. Let me know if you'd still be interested in the burst fire because I could tell you how to modify a ball valve with some sort of hand crank to do it. I'm assuming that you can provide a tripod. ;)