Max-D 5000 Pump Problem

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Gold Hawk

Max-D 5000 Pump Problem

Post by Gold Hawk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:30 pm

I have an itty bitty problem with my teammate Eric's Max-D 5000.

When you pump it, the pump slides very, very loosely, and it does not pressurize at all.

I opened it up, and checked it out today, and I can't find out what is going on with it.

Can anyone help me?

-Gold
"Missing isn't the worst part. The retaliation is." -Gold Hawk

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

Drenchenator

Re: Max-D 5000 Pump Problem

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:10 pm

I can see one of several things wrong: a check valve is broken, the pump seal is bad, or the relief valve functions too early. Does it leak at all? If not, then it is either a broken check valve or relief valve, and both are major problems.

If the check valve is broken, it will be the input one--the one closest to the reservoir. When the pump moves, no pressure is created because the water can flow back into the reservoir. The only thing you can do in this case is order a new one or make a new one.

If the relief valve is broken, it may be best to remove it. Simple as that.

But I'm unsure which problem the gun has; in both cases the symptoms seem much the same--if you open the gun, both cases will appear identical. I can think of a simple test though which should tell if the input check valve is broken. Open the gun and remove the pump and valve assembly. Take out the pump rod and pour water down the shaft itself. If it fills, that means that the input check valve isn't broken. If water flows through, it is.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:41 pm

Drenchenator wrote:I can see one of several things wrong: a check valve is broken, the pump seal is bad, or the relief valve functions too early. Does it leak at all? If not, then it is either a broken check valve or relief valve, and both are major problems.

If the check valve is broken, it will be the input one--the one closest to the reservoir. When the pump moves, no pressure is created because the water can flow back into the reservoir. The only thing you can do in this case is order a new one or make a new one.

If the relief valve is broken, it may be best to remove it. Simple as that.

But I'm unsure which problem the gun has; in both cases the symptoms seem much the same--if you open the gun, both cases will appear identical. I can think of a simple test though which should tell if the input check valve is broken. Open the gun and remove the pump and valve assembly. Take out the pump rod and pour water down the shaft itself. If it fills, that means that the input check valve isn't broken. If water flows through, it is.
Thank god, it filled. :)

So you're saying I need to either remove the relief valve, or I need to fix the pump seal.

How would I go about fixing the latter?

"Exsisto validus, fortis aequora." -Motto of the HydroHawks Soaker Assault Squad

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:27 pm

There's a problem here. The Max-D 5000 is a pressurized reservoir water gun. In standard soakers, pumping moves water from a reservoir to a pressure chamber that is filled with air beforehand. The presence of the water in the chamber compresses that air, generating pressure, and the air pushes back on the water when you shoot.

In pressurized reservoir soakers, there's only one tank, not two. You fill it with water, just like a reservoir. But pumping forces air into the tank.

The problem still lies with either the pressure release valve or with the check valve, though. You can still fill the pump with water to see if anything squirts out of the check valve. Depending on the location of the pressure release valve, the method might even work for that. But if the PRV release excess air directly from the reservoir, and not from the pump, then there's a problem: pumping is going to put water into the reservoir (since the pump's been filled) and release air instead.

Ask if there's any confusion about how the systems work. The different types of water guns can cause confusion, especially given all the terminology. :cool:

Anyway, I hope you get the problem fixed!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:39 pm

Another problem not mentioned is that the cap might not be tight enough or on at all. Check the cap. ;)

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:09 am

There's a problem here. The Max-D 5000 is a pressurized reservoir water gun. In standard soakers, pumping moves water from a reservoir to a pressure chamber that is filled with air beforehand. The presence of the water in the chamber compresses that air, generating pressure, and the air pushes back on the water when you shoot.

In pressurized reservoir soakers, there's only one tank, not two. You fill it with water, just like a reservoir. But pumping forces air into the tank.
Oops, I guess I didn't know that. It doesn't help that it has a fake pressure chamber then. Either way, the problem could be one of the two things I said before.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:15 am

Is there supposed to be a rubber thing on the end of the Max-D 5000's pump stick?

If there is, that could very well be the problem.

There was nothing in the pump shaft when I looked.

Woah. :eek:

-Gold

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:24 am

Yep, that means the pump seal is bad (or in this case missing), so that would be the problem.

From what I know, Max-D water guns use simple rubber O-rings as their pump seals. Take a picture of the end of the pump seal and post it here if you don't think it uses O-rings. The basic #9 O-ring likely will fit. All you have to do is repair then is visit a hardware of home improvement store and look for some #9 O-rings. Here's a picture of what the container should look like: http://images.sscentral.org/aphparts/12.jpg

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:48 am

Wow, thank goodness you made the discovery. I can't believe we didn't think of that. I guess CA-99 pointed it out at iSoaker.net. :)

There are numerous guides to making your own pump:
Drenchenator's
m15399
Ben's APH article
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Changed the APH link so it goes directly to the pump part.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:10 pm

Ben wrote:Another problem not mentioned is that the cap might not be tight enough or on at all. Check the cap. ;)
Funny you should mention that, cause an old team member had a Max-D 5000, and he though it was busted. Turned out the cap wasn't on right. :p

But the trigger wasn't very strong cause he had left it outside for 3-years, and the trigger broke.

But I checked the cap on this one.

I think it's just the O-ring that is the problem.

-Gold

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:56 pm

Ben wrote:Yep, that means the pump seal is bad (or in this case missing), so that would be the problem.

From what I know, Max-D water guns use simple rubber O-rings as their pump seals. Take a picture of the end of the pump seal and post it here if you don't think it uses O-rings. The basic #9 O-ring likely will fit. All you have to do is repair then is visit a hardware of home improvement store and look for some #9 O-rings. Here's a picture of what the container should look like: http://images.sscentral.org/aphparts/12.jpg
I've got the O-ring, what do I do to attach it?

-Gold

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 am

You may not have seen my post (after Ben's)...try refreshing the page. I linked to a few pump guides that show how to use an O-ring for the seal on the pump.

In your case, you could just put the O-ring on the end of the rod and wrap electrical tape or duct tape on each side of it to prevent it from sliding.

Gold Hawk

Post by Gold Hawk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:55 pm

This can be closed. I fixed it and it works fine.

-Gold