CPS 1000

Threads about water gun modifications.
illi

CPS 1000

Post by illi » Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:42 am

Hi everyone. I got a CPS 1000 from my cousin for $20. I want to do a check valve freezing and a K mod. Can you guys give me some pointers on the check valve freezing. Also, can you tell me how many balloons should I use?

THANKS

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:51 pm

How heavy a mod would you like to do? These days, most people just add 10-20 balloons and don't disable the pressure release valve. Commercial water guns aren't designed to take too much extra pressure and they will eventually break down - that's why they have the pressure release valve in the first place. Also note that adding 50 balloons isn't going to increase the range as much as you think; indeed, if the stream starts to break up, then you may start losing range.

Thus, I would forgo the PRVD and add just a few balloons. Remember that with a PRVD, if you overpump by just one pump, you'll blow a connection inside, and even if you don't overpump, the gun will wear down much more quickly.

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:51 pm

I wouldn't discourage the heavy mod, just know the risks.

- The safe pump limit for a 1000 is not known. Once you disable the PRV, no one can tell you how many pumps it can take before you blow out the trigger valve. 10 is the number for a heavy 21K, but a 10K is more powerful than a 21K, so the 10 pump limit may not be accurate.

-Very heavy K-mods [70 balloons and higher] wear out the trigger valve over time [year or more or regular use]. Eventually, it will need a rubber band repair to help the trigger valve close, and eventually that may cease to be effective as well.

Now with that said, you can push ranges into homemade territory [over 55ft] with a heavy K. There is a point where the power will break up the lamination, but you can restore lamination with a multiple nozzle mod. That is a MUST for a heavy K-mod, at least if you want the ranges such a gun has the potential for.

No soaker has a power-to-size ratio as great as a heavily K-modded one. You also get stream speeds that only the most powerful homemades can match. On the flipside, pc shot time will be cut as the pc has less room to expand. Every mod is a balance - increasing x will decrease y.

As far as light mods go, they are parabolic - a middle number of balloons is often optimal for range and overall power. Too few balloons won't give you enough power, too many and you won't be able to use the power. 10-45 is the amount most commonly used when the PRV is still in place. Optimal range is 20-35 balloons for many K-moddable guns, including the 1000.

While light Ks cause very little stress to a gun, you probably won't break 50ft range. They are safe, however, as the PRV will stop you from over-pumping.

The choice is yours. For some background info, I was once one of the heaviest k-modders of all time, and then lost the guts to continue with the powerful stuff as those great guns broke down. If you do heavy mods and then stop, you really miss the power. My light Ks get the job done fine, but it's not the same.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!