Cardboard boxes for barricades

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:55 pm

I came up with this idea the other day, and it must have been used before:

Cardboard boxes for barricades

Before you all laugh your heads off and point out that water...er...soaks cardboard, read on.

One of the main types of water fight is a water war (as opposed to a duel, etc). Now we all know that water won't destroy concrete. (OK, in very large quantities, maybe. But we're talking about water fights here.) And a good thing too - if it could destroy concrete, it could destroy more that that. We don't want to maim or kill people in a water fight. (If you do, seek out a good mental doctor immediately. ;) ) So barricades built out of concrete, etc, are pretty solid against invasion from water troops, I.e. the walls will take it. :huh:

But in real warfare, those barricades could be demolished with explosive. Artillery units, for example, could blast the troops out of a concrete barricade. So what's the water war equivalent? It's simple, of course. Explosive shells = Plastic bags full of water. That is, anything from water balloons to carrier bags.

So similarly, what could be as a suitable medium to suffer damage from plastic bags full of water? Um...um...let me think...what could we use? You've guessed it, cardboard boxes. Pile them up at pinch points and you have an emplacement offering good cover for a limited amount of time. You could stuff them into gaps between buildings, and so on. (Not that I'm saying, "You mustn't use harder cover already there" :Hey, that's funny.: )Make rules that they can only be blasted by water, and that they may not be simply pushed out of the way by enemies. Of course, once you've finished the fight, you'll have some clearing up to do (wet cardboard...ugh). :angry:

So there you are. Another step towards added realism in water wars. Obviously it's not for everyone, but I think I may start using it. Comments? Is this an absolute no-no? :(
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:28 pm

Sounds good, an extention of the SoakerTag idea! Similarly, each team could have a fire, set to a certain size, and you could win by putting it out. That would make sure people would stay near it and the game would be harder and longer because they have to feed the fire occaisonally. Fires could be replaced with sponges or something else if you don't like that idea.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:38 pm

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Apr 5 2004, 05:28 PM
an extention of the SoakerTag idea
I suppose so in a way. I wasn't thinking so much of it being a requirement to soak or blast the cardboard, just as something you had to do if you wanted to get through. Makes it a bit more interesting..oh and it shouldn't be too expensive or time-consuming to set up either ;)

EDIT:
Similarly, each team could have a fire, set to a certain size, and you could win by putting it out. That would make sure people would stay near it and the game would be harder and longer because they have to feed the fire occaisonally. Fires could be replaced with sponges or something else if you don't like that idea.
Isn't the sponge idea 'officially' (so far as water fight type names can be 'official&#39 ;) known as "Saturate that Sponge"?

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:50 pm

Good idea, but I think that plastic tubs would work better.

Besides, you can use the leftover tops for sheilds :D
I don't check this forum anymore.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:51 pm

I would expect plastic tubs to cost more and also harder to get...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:55 pm

Tubs should be harder to get and more expensive. I personally would use some plywood.
Isn't the sponge idea 'officially' (so far as water fight type names can be 'official&#39 ;) known as "Saturate that Sponge"?
No, that was Commander Bob's slogan at his site.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:32 pm

I'd have thought plywood would also be more expensive than cardboard boxes. Also it would not be the same, in that the only way to get through it would be to knock it down by chucking a carrier bag full of water at it. It wouldn't weaken or sag like cardboard when soaked or hit by, say, a CPS 2500 blast.

Remember, we're talking here about a deliberately imperfect water resistor :D like cardboard. B)

vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:42 am

Then, why don't you just hide in the box, with your blaster sticking out? :Hey, that's funny.:

Sorry about the old topic bump, I'm just bored.

EDIT: If you use a pizza box, it'll last a while, even against the heavier CPS weapons (CPS 2000/2500), but if the CPS in question was heavily modded(collosus, k-mod, cvf), then bye-bye pizza box :Hey, that's funny.: .

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

DX

Post by DX » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:34 pm

Well, you'd be finished off by one nicely placed water balloon. Cardboard would be interesting if you wanted to add a variable to the game, walls that had a limited time to last. Those conditions would force both sides to take the offensive, resulting in an interesting battle.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:24 pm

Cardboard is easy to stack and very cheap. Plywood or plastic barracades are hard to move with.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

War Admiral

Post by War Admiral » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:42 pm

I was thinking about making a whole base out of cardboard. Its not a stupid cause you can just throw away the cardboard after your done. plus you can fold and make the base colapseble.
It is the old who declare war but it is the youth who die for it.
-Herbert Hoover

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:05 pm

if you wanted a collapsable base that would last nearly forever and is completely waterproof, go to your local glass shop and check out prices on sheets of acrylic. you could put the sheets on hinges.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

War Admiral

Post by War Admiral » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:07 am

Hmmmm....interesting idea
It is the old who declare war but it is the youth who die for it.
-Herbert Hoover

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:09 am

I got the idea because acrylic is used in case modding (if you don't know, don't ask) all the time.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:24 am

Perfect...because then I could just use my awesome extremely loud/powerful WBL and **** that cardboard up! :Hey, that's funny.:

No but really, it is a great idea. Doom's fire idea