Tips on painting

Threads about water gun modifications.
Chewie

Tips on painting

Post by Chewie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:08 pm

Hi, guys. Its been a while, but I finally got a Monster-XL. Right now I'm painting it (don't worry, I taped the purple chambers), but my spraypaint tends to bead and run when I spray the orange nozzle parts.

Can anyone recommend a good brand or type of spraypaint for painting?

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:28 pm

I think you're supposed to give it a protective coat of laquer first. Then again, I've never painted any of my soakers before.

Chewie

Post by Chewie » Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:55 pm

I painted my CPS2500 before without any odd prep, its odd.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:33 am

You shouldn't need any special bran of paint to achieve a good effect, just good technique and some careful prep beforehand. First of all, make sure you wash with warmy soapy water the pieces you're having trouble with. This will help to remove oils that may be causing your paint to bead. If you want, you can prep your surface first with primer, not lacquer. When you do decide to paint, look for spray paint that works well with plastic. The best I've used is Krylon Fusion. It's made specifically for plastic. However, I'm know there are cheaper generic brands out there. When you're painting make sure to begin and end each stroke off of the plastic. The initial burst of paint is always the biggest and will cause uneveness in your coat, something that will cause your paint to bead.

Good luck and soak on.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

CROC

Post by CROC » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:49 pm

If anything, the best thing to get is Krylon paints. They may be expensive (~15$CAD), but they are waterproof, and dry in 12 minutes or less.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back