Modding the Monster XL

Threads about water gun modifications.
Plank

Post by Plank » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:28 am

Hi. I'm new to the SS modding scene, and SS's in general as I've been "off" them for more than a few years now. I was wondering if it's possible, once I get my hands on a Monster XL, to mod it to the equivalent of a dual CPS 2000 or something by doing collosus, check valve freezing, nozzle enlarging, replacing parts, backpack modding, etc?

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:00 pm

Modding any Blaster is possible, and the Monster XL is no exception. While it is true the Monster XL is the biggest, its not the baddest. The Monster XL can be check vavle freezed, Colossused, etc, but Id leave it as it is if you are new to Modding. While it sounds cool to mod, there is always that chance that you could screw it up, and the Monster XL has many, MANY screws. So its up to you when you get it, but I think the Super-Cannon is good by itself.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:34 pm

Welcome to SSCentral. People have collosused MXLs before. I'm not sure about the power-up, but you always could keep on layering. Or you could try using the LRT (if they make it that big). Either way, I think you could get it to be more powerful than a CPS 2000 with the right mods. You may have to do some reinforcements and such, but if you put your mind to it I'm sure it can be done.

Problem is, these days MXLs almost always go for over $100 on eBay, the only reliable known source to get them. Good luck on getting an MXL, you'll need it. If you'd still like to make a super-cannon, homemades always are an option.

http://forums.sscentral.net/index.php?showtopic=1261

I need to get that image back up, but if you're interested, there's about all the info I have written on my own CPS super-cannon. The PC needs to be completely redone now, it literally exploded. I do plan on making a more powerful one when I redo the PC, rest assured that will happen. It already gets over 60 feet in range, if that's not power I don't know what is.

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:55 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Oct 16 2004, 10:34 AM

roblem is, these days MXLs almost always go for over $100 on eBay, the only reliable known source to get them.  Good luck on getting an MXL, you'll need it.  If you'd still like to make a super-cannon, homemades always are an option.

Homemades are always another answer ;) Here are a few links to get you started:
1.) Check Valve Freeze
Optional, but if I were to do it with a lot of layers, Id Check Valve Freeze. Caution: Done Improperly, internals will EXPLODE.
2.) There really is no article on colossusing, but it can be done by removing the outer case of the PC in Cylindrical weaponry. From there the extra layers can be slid on, check isoaker.com for a few pics of that.
3.) Trigger Reinforcement - Might as well do it now before it snaps. Its a dang sturdy trigger, but will need reinforcement after its beef-up.
4.) Backpack Modification - Heck, Id go the extra mile to do this. Cheap, affordable, and your a walking tank with a twin, barrel blaster to back you up. If you can carry the weight of this mod (Will hold you down I gurantee) then go for it.
5.) Opening the Blaster Check this out, just for reference.
6.) Anatomy of the Soaker check this out as well, so you know what someone is talking about.

All in all, Search around and ask questions, thats the best way to learn experience and gain knowledge in what you are doing. Ask Doom if your interested in Homemades, hes the expert (not me! :P )

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:44 pm

Here is a collosus mod to a 4100. Do basically the same thing only twice. Make sure you layer both chambers the same, just to be safe.
Colossus
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:07 pm

http://forums.sscentral.net/index.php?s ... entry16440

Read that too. I've written an actual guide (and have pictures, just didn't use them). Wait for the site update to find a bunch of new mod articles, and article in general.

Plank

Post by Plank » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:11 am

Oh thanks a lot guys. Sadly I missed out on a US$60 ebay auction for an MXL today at 6am cos I didn't wake up when I should've :( . It woulda come to over AU$115 anyway, including postage to Australia, which really is pretty expensive. Offtopic I got an XP 215 today :D . I wonder if theres any mods for that :P

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:44 pm

Of course there's mods for the XP 215. I don't think you'd want to do any though, stock it's about as good as it'll get. I know I said something along these lines before, "You don't want to modify a 5" TV to be a big screen." Being small and relatively unpowerful is just in it's nature, and there's not much in the way for mods you could do.

But if you really wanted to, a Pressurized Reservoir Check Valve freeze and Nozzle drilling's about all you can do.

Plank

Post by Plank » Sun Oct 17, 2004 2:21 pm

Yeah I get what you mean. I'm not really trying to get anymore power out of it, I just wanna see what I can do as a silly thing cos it's such a tiny gun :P

On another note, would it be possible to make a pressurized backpack for it, like the SC Power Pak's backpack?. I've got this crazy idea of making a pressurized backpack, hooking it up to replace the small resovoir, drilling a much bigger nozzle, CVF, adding a custom pump handle and then re-enforcing the insides so as to make this innocent 215 into some kind of super pistol. Or would the piping inside the 215 hinder this amount of water?

As an idea, try to imagine a dual 215, dual pressurized backpack system with the power of say a CPS 2000 or something. Thats what I'm after :P

EDIT: and I'll add some straps to it as well ROFL

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:13 am

For all that trouble you might as well make a homemade. The piping of the XP-215 will restric flow. As well, the trigger valve can't handle much pressure because of its nature of design. And, you would need to make a new pup(very hard to add to such a small gun) because that little pump would take all day to pressurize a backpack. And for all the trouble of adding a pump, makin your own gun would probably prove easier, and better.
Its all in the PVC.
BlueSoak.net

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:23 am

And even then, all of that work would be outdone by a slightly bigger xp. If I wanted to get some radical xp class soaker I would just use an xp 20, 220, 240, etc. There would be much less work and more in the output department. There is only so much you can do to a soaker and your xp 215 monster would be really pushing the limits.