Two-Part Trigger Rods

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
DX

Two-Part Trigger Rods

Post by DX » Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:40 am

I'm interested in hearing about what these are for really, and if they are better than the traditional single=part rods.

Context - I opened an airtech 3000 [air powered Nerf gun made by Hasbro in 2003] for modding purposes, played around with the internals, and realized that this thing has a trigger rod setup unlike any I've ever seen [Nerf or water]. Normally, trigger rods consist of a single long rod that extends out from the trigger valve with a spring and trigger connection on the end. Well this one was made of 2 rods - the first being solidly attached and separated from a looser second rod by a little white coupler-like thingy. The loose rod contained the trigger and spring. The rods act as one when fired.

I would suspect that the loose rod acts to protect the valve from wearing out, yet I don't know the physics of it. If it were to serve this purpose, why wouldn't Hasbro have put it in water guns?
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

isoaker_com

Re: Two-Part Trigger Rods

Post by isoaker_com » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:33 am

The most recent time I can recall seeing a two-part trigger rod in a soaker is in the Super Soaker HydroBlitz. It was needed to convert the angle from pulling the trigger to a more suitable angle for turning the ball valve to open it. I can only suspect the Airtech 3000 needed a slight angle adjustment to activate the trigger valve, but pictures would help confirm whether or not this is true for the Airtech 3000.
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

Silence

Re: Two-Part Trigger Rods

Post by Silence » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:40 pm

Yep, I'm interested in pictures too. At a guess it *does* sound like the coupler between the drive shafts on a pickup truck, which allows the angle between the cab and the bed to change as the truck hits bumps.

But if the angle difference is unnoticeable, as appears to be, then it seems like they could have just realigned the trigger guide to the valve. Perhaps it's just redundancy to help the trigger pass the QA tests.