Need simple pump desing?

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
powersurge919

Need simple pump desing?

Post by powersurge919 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:11 am

I'm in quite a dilema here. I need to make a very simple pump for my riot cannon. please help. ;)

m15399

Post by m15399 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:15 am

powersurge919

Post by powersurge919 » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:49 am

m15399 wrote:Honestly. It's right on this website.

http://www.sscentral.org/tech/homemades/pumps.php
Also see:
http://www.geocities.com/m15399/pumps.html

But i've seen those 2 and they are not descriptive enough.
:confused: _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
sorry about the lines but my explorer is not letting me post under "100 characters". Why is this?___

st_jimmy

Post by st_jimmy » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:10 am

Ummmm.... those are really descriptive articles. How much more can it be described? Exactly where are you lost?

powersurge919

Post by powersurge919 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:51 am

I'm a pretty simple person when it comes to building things that i've never made before.

Could someone draw a diagram that shows how the pumping action works to get air/water to a "PC". once I understand this I can build my Heavy Riot Cannon wich I will put instructions on how to build it here soon, or atleast untill I can understand this thing.

supersoaker

Post by supersoaker » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:09 am

powersurge919 wrote:I'm a pretty simple person when it comes to building things that i've never made before.

Could someone draw a diagram that shows how the pumping action works to get air/water to a "PC". once I understand this I can build my Heavy Riot Cannon wich I will put instructions on how to build it here soon, or atleast untill I can understand this thing.
A search at howstuffworks will reveal all... It helped me understand everything about it, seriously, water goes in,from the resevoir, water goes out to the PC's, it's not hard...

st_jimmy

Post by st_jimmy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:55 pm

Oh, so what you don't understand is the whole pumping mechanism, not just the pump shaft. I see now. Like supersoaker said, the howstuffworks page is great (http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/ ... laster.htm.) Once you've figured it out, it all becomes extremely simple. No magic involved at all.

What exactly are your plans for this riot cannon?

edit: oops my bad
Last edited by st_jimmy on Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:59 pm

When you extend the pump, water is sucked into the tube from the reservoir (the check valve layout only allows the water to come from the reservoir, and not from the PC). When you push the pump in, water is pushed into the PC (once again due to the check valve layout).

st_jimmy, your link doesn't work because your URL code included the closing bracket...take that off and the link should be fine.

powersurge919

Post by powersurge919 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:02 am

yeah i just found out about the the check valves when shopping at home depot. i asked the store employee "what is this?" "its a one way valve. :| " "WOOHOOOOOOOO!!"

but can i just use water pressure instead of air pressure?
you know like i pump in so much water the pressure goes soooo high and squirts out a realy realy small fine nozzle on the barrel.

now lets talk about custom pump desings. you know complicated ones. :D
{ARMOURY:}
(SS) : 1x 50, 2x 100 (CPS) : 2x 2000, 4x 1000, 1x 4100, 2X monsterXL (APH) : 1x Agitator II, 4x Agitator III, 1x Unfinished SuperCannon 2... and 2 arctic shocks and an arctic blast.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:55 pm

No, water can barely be pressurized. It takes a massive amount of force to do so, so what we do is use water to displace the air inside the PC and compress the air. That is what creates your pressure, and it is for our purposes impossible to compress water.

There are only two complex homemade pump designs that I know of, and I invented both of them. The "Two-Stroke Pump" is used by Storm in those pistols, and I will use it my homemades--especially my smaller ones, because quick pressurization is essential in sidearms. The other design is the "Multi-Stage Pump," and joannaardway had plans to use that in her PCgH. The multi-stage pump has multiple pump tubes of different widths in one, and the larger width gives fast pressurization while the smaller width gives high pressure.