Water Launchers

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
DX

Water Cannons [formerly called launchers]

Post by DX » Thu May 04, 2006 10:11 pm

Instead of making an ITWL-only thread, I decided to make a general water launchers thread. I would rather promote all forms of water launchers rather than just one. It would be really cool to see a whole new class of weaponry debut on the field of battle and create whole new tactics for them.

First of all, you might be asking, what the heck is a water launcher? Well, it is neither a normal water gun nor a water balloon launcher. A water launcher uses power like a water balloon launcher, but shoots a solid stream like a normal soaker. The main purpose of water launchers is deadly strikes in just the right situations. In general, you get one good shot and then must either retreat or have covering fire to re-pressurize. Output can be made to be easily over 60x. You are basically shooting a firehose for a few seconds.

What options are there? Well, you can use pre-charging tech in a PCgH, simple air pressure in an ITWL, or a piston in a Super Cannon. Those are the three main designs which have come out so far. Improvements include the MS ITWL and Super Cannon II. All of these look/work different, but all do accomplish the same task.

What is the advantage to using a water launcher? These radically redefine the concept of the sidearm. No longer do you need to have a small gun for backup-style purposes. Now you can have a specially designed weapon for special uses. In stand-offs or ambushes, nothing will intimidate an enemy more than unleashing a giant stream of water that flies beyond the normal fighting range. Despite the ITWLs not being finished, I know the range will be huge. A pc of a water balloon launcher used as a water launcher can obtain 40ft range at a negative 10 degree angle. So think about a properly designed water launcher at 45 degrees!

The concept of water launchers is certainly not new. However, enough designs exist now to call it a new class of weapons, just as soakers and water balloon launchers are their own classes. Water launchers add a new dimension to the battlefield. New tactics and strategies can be created via their use. I personally will be really excited when I have time to finish ITWL and MS ITWL. The debut of a new class of weaponry on the hardcore level never fails to make a battle interesting. The debut of the Douchenator changed the way we will fight night battles from now onward. Heck, the debut of the 21K changed the way we fight any battle. However, unlike water balloon launchers, water launchers have the potential to be deadly effective anytime because leveling a wide stream full of power is different from shooting small water balloons into the air and hoping they hit their targets.

Viva La Tech! [url=http://javascript%3Cb%3E%3C/b%3E:emoticon%28%27:soakon2:%27%29]Image[/url]
Last edited by DX on Sat May 06, 2006 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 04, 2006 10:39 pm

I posted my opinions over at the "Water Launchers" thread at SM. Thanks for listening to my opinions over here.

Now, which thread do you intend to be the main one? You can't really keep a very good discussion up if the two parts go in completely different directions...

DX

Post by DX » Thu May 04, 2006 10:43 pm

I would actually rather have all three topics go off in different tangents, which would maximize the amount of unique discussion. Being on the staff of three forums, I am not really supposed to favor discussion at one over another. People have liked it better when I have shared ideas in more than one place.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 04, 2006 11:38 pm

Hmmm...I see your point about a greater ability to explore all ideas. I'm assuming you also posted at iScF, since you mentioned 3 forums, but that surprises me--I haven't seen much homemade discussion over there. However, as this is revolutionary, a wide starting area might help boost the popularity. I can't wait to see pictures or, if possible, video of your ITWL and of it firing. Just imagine a thick blanket of water falling on top of 5 people 50 yards away.

I believe you first suggested this for breaking the 70-foot mark, and now I know that there's a fair chance that that will happen. Even if the range isn't that superior, you'll have a crazy mid-range device that can repel any invaders and cover any passageway. That would be impressive in itself.

I'm wondering exactly how turbulent the stream will be. Due to the nature of the weapon, I doubt the stream will resemble a nicely laminated one like in a soaker at all. In addition, you might have to use a plunger sabot as in a PCgH in order to make sure the air doesn't mingle with the water. Finally, a way to ensure the usage of the plunger sabot (I think) :D ! Of course, you will need some truly superior method of eliminating the pressure after the sabot has been completely propelled to the end of the barrel, as a simple slit would cause the water to seep out. Maybe a traditional sabot is the only option after all...

Now that I've been thinking about WLs for a while, I've decided to design a different version--essentially an incredibly high-powered PCgH--yes, a soaker, not an actual launcher. You use a Schrader valve to get something like 250 PSI in the back of the PC, and somehow, a pulley system can be rigged to pull the plunger back or you pump water into the front of the PC--however, this method require a ball valve. With the pulley system, you turn a crank to compress the air in the PC, and then you muzzle-load the weapon with water. There might even be a pin that is set to stop the plunger at a certain point and allow for multiple shots. Yes, this idea isn't anything like the ITWL, but it's something. I'd go with the ITWL any day.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 05, 2006 6:53 pm

Never ever shoot water separate from the air in something like this. A pc full of air will not be able to handle a barrel full of water at high pressure. Example: Wetmonkey once filled a water balloon launcher barrel with water. The barrel broke off and the pc shot backwards for 20ft. In this concept, you've got to have the air and water together. Not necessarily mixed, but in the same chamber, yes. Gravity prevents them from mixing, at least in the air pressure types.

The stream from the test pc was suprisingly laminated. Like a 2500 stream just several times wider and thicker and with actual kickback. The air pressure water launchers don't need a plunger or a sabot or anything fancy. Just pressure and water and gravity. Oh and never put 250 PSI in one of these. American [not sure about other countries'] 3" PVC is pressure rated for 260 PSI, but it is safest not to exceed 150. You don't need to exceed 100 if your design is laminar and efficient anyway.

I can't wait to finish my 2 water launchers. Just one more day and then I can get back to work on them. They are actually closer to being done than some might think: just have to drill 2 holes, screw in the schrader valves, and glue those two segments to their ends of the Ts. Only problem is I need to borrow a neighbor's drill since mine is broken.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 05, 2006 7:51 pm

I'm taking your word for the air and water needing to be in the same compartment...but if this is the case, then you must make sure that you don't release the air, or you will have to completely pump it up again (assuming we're talking about my PCgWL). In my PCgWL, I doubt the pressure will be enough to break the weapon. However, I will put some thought into your point before I build a PCgWL (if I ever do).

Will your weapon have two separate Schrader valves--one for the water and one for the air--that feed the PC? That would seem useful in your design. Also, because you won't separate the water and the air, you should take some precautions, similar to the PCgWL's plunger effects, to prevent having to pressurize the air again: record the PSI after filling the PC with air (but before the water), and stop your shots when the PSI drops down to this level again. There may be some method to automize this.

However, stopping the shot at the air-only level of PSI might have the same effect as using a plunger--I really don't know.

I like getting to talk about completely different things in the same thread at different forums...that was a good idea after all.

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 05, 2006 9:40 pm

It is impossible to reach the air at the end of a shot. The air pressure will run out before that happens and the shot will end. Also keep in mind that I am quite used to metal ball valves and am very good at tap shooting with them. If I see the shot is losing too much pressure, I can simply flip the valve back. However I have no PSI meter other than the one on the bike pump, so I can't tell how much pressure is used. To get the best range and output, though, you need to use all or most of it. That's why I came up with the MS ITWL. Lower range and output, but will retain enough pressure for multiple shots. [There is also still the option of using everything by turning both ball valves].

Two schrader valves makes no sense. You can't pump in water with a schrader valve, it is air only. Think of re-inflating bike tires, that's what shcrader valves were designed to do. Also don't forget that in the ITWL, the pc is practically the whole gun. There is no reservoir, and the barrel is short.

Yeah it's kind of hard to explain without pictures. When seen in a picture, there can't be any doubts about anything because it is so simple! :p

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 05, 2006 11:43 pm

Well, that just goes to show that I am incredibly naive when it comes to WBLs (and their technology as used in ITWLs). I was under the impression that the pressure will be released in a huge rush, especially with the wide nozzles of ITWLs. However, I still don't see how using long shots will give you improved range, although it will increase the net water output.

With the Schrader valve pumping the water idea, I was really just carrying over something from the inferior PCgWL...I shouldn't have put it there. Nevertheless, I assumed that you could get a Schrader valve that doesn't rust and attach a large reservoir to it. If that's impossible, then I'll just be content with the standard ITWL idea.

I'm getting an idea of how your ITWL will look. If you wanted to make it even smaller, then you could make a short-barreled underslung version, but with the PC in the top length and the barrel with the water in the bottom. That would also be easier to implement in a 4100 WL, if this method works.

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 1:37 am

I'm getting an idea of how your ITWL will look. If you wanted to make it even smaller, then you could make a short-barreled underslung version, but with the PC in the top length and the barrel with the water in the bottom. That would also be easier to implement in a 4100 WL, if this method works.
You've just outlined the concept of the inverted-T design, only in some complicated form that has me confused. :p

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 06, 2006 12:46 pm

Like isoaker_com, I would prefer the term "water cannon." I used the word cannon in my Supercannon II because it is much like a cannon (more than a launcher to me). "Water cannon" also is a popular search keyword, and for that reason alone I feel we should use it. I use search terms not only to get more visitors, but to speak the same terms as my visitors.

Other than that, I don't really have much to say as I have been working on my own water cannon, Supercannon II. I would like to see others use larger and more powerful water guns, but I don't know how useful they'll prove in battle.

Supercannon II should be completed once I create a working, sealing, moving piston, but that might be harder than I believe it is. I've already tried a few ideas, but I think the best idea would be to get a circular drill bit the same size as the PVC and drill out rubber from a rubber sheet. The only problem would be finding the drill bit. I'm also considering buying several 4" ID O-rings to see what can be done with them. Hopefully I'll work out a viable way to create a piston water gun and others will follow suit.

I've began working on another water gun that should have no trouble during construction and I'll let everyone know about it upon it's completion (hint: it's a backpack water gun).

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 06, 2006 5:15 pm

@ Duxburian: My suggested design is essentiall an inverted-T water launcher, except instead of using a 90 degree turn, it uses a 180 one. This makes the launcher slightly more convenient because its shape will be more linear and easier to implement, especially in a 4100 WL. However, since I have not seen any images of your launcher, I am unsure of how practical its design may be--I am under the impression that it will have a huge tube sticking out above it for the air.

@ Ben: I don't think there are any drill bits that are 4" in diameter. However, you could trace a circle on a rubber sheet and use a cardboard cutter to cut out the circle.

Aren't most of your homemades backpack types? :p

DX

Post by DX » Sat May 06, 2006 5:25 pm

Shrugs...I guess it would be better to use the term "water cannon" then, opposed to the word as I am. [Addiction to Civil War movies has made me stick to "cannon fires solid shot only"]

That means the ITWL and MS ITWL are now the ITWC and MS ITWC. I'll change the topic titles later, and try to edit the names, otherwise it will get really confusing really fast. Speaking of confusion, expect pictures of the mostly finished water cannons I'm making today. A picture says a thousand words, especially for this.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 06, 2006 5:29 pm

Thanks for offering to post the pictures--they will be truly revolutionary.

Just in case you hadn't noticed, I recently added "ITWL" to the "Duxburian Dictionary." I'll change that to "ITWC," and in bold in a new post, I'll point out the change.

You might want to leave a few posts about the change, or there might be even more confusion than normal...

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sat May 06, 2006 5:58 pm

I posted a picture of the design at iSoaker, but the top might go higher now that you mention it.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 06, 2006 7:07 pm

@ Ben: I don't think there are any drill bits that are 4" in diameter. However, you could trace a circle on a rubber sheet and use a cardboard cutter to cut out the circle.
You don't use a drill bit for things larger than about one inch. You use a hole saw. I should have said that, but I couldn't remember the word because I use hole saws so rarely. ;)