My first super soaker-Secret Strike-but there's a problem.

General water gun discussion.
Squirt

My first super soaker-Secret Strike-but there's a problem.

Post by Squirt » Sun May 20, 2007 3:22 am

Hi I am new here I just bought our first super soaker today. We got a super soaker Secret Strike(its bright green and orange, box says Aquashock Secret Strike level 5.0) at walmart today for $14.88 and took my son straight to the park to try it out. But as soon as we got it out of the package, filled water, and pumped-the water started to shoot out the nozzle at the same time I was pumping it. This secret strike has a trigger therefore the pumping will build up pressure and the trigger releases it. Is my SS Secret Strike broken/defective? Or am I doing something wrong? We ended up playing baseball at the park...Hey, that's funny!...please help. Thanks in advance. :)
Last edited by Squirt on Sun May 20, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revise SS model

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Sun May 20, 2007 10:34 am

Hm, sounds like a common problem, the ball-valve is stuck in the open position. There are several possibilities for why this is happening.

1: The spring in the Max-D trigger is not snapping it closed.
2: The rotating sphere somehow got sticky and is refusing to move.

Open up the gun and look at the internals.
Flip the valve closed with your finger, then spray some lube down the nozzle and around the outside of the valve. (Silicone lubricant works best for this).

If the gun is still not working, I'm sure that somebody else here can give you a link to the rubber-band repair method, because for some reason I'm unable to find it right now.
Captain-Canis: Founder of the Maple-Mountain-Marines.
Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 20, 2007 2:29 pm

Another possibility is to simply return it and get another one. You should be able to return it in most cases and is something to try before attempting to repair.

And for the same price, I'd have to recommend a different gun, the Water Warriors Tiger Shark. It's simply more powerful and has better range as well as capacity. Yes, it doesn't have the 90 degree nozzle, but if you're careful you can still sneak around corners with it. (especially since the CPS-like pressure system allows it to fire at any angle without the shot getting misty) You can find Tiger Sharks at most places, though maybe a few Targets might not carry them. (the one near me doesn't, not yet at least, but another one I went to carried more Water Warriors guns than Soakers)

Squirt

Post by Squirt » Sun May 20, 2007 3:21 pm

Hi thanks for replying...yeah I might just take it back to wally world. They have water warriors there too. I actually bought the two pack water warriors Black widow and returned them because they leak a lot at the pump handle and the bottom of the back reservoir. Do all these water guns(water warriors and super soakers) leak some and are they normal?
So is water warriors a pretty good brand? I have never heard of them so I was leary to buy one.
Are there any other comparable good brands?

DX

Post by DX » Sun May 20, 2007 3:49 pm

A water gun which works perfectly does not leak, except maybe a little bit at the nozzle after a shot. Leaking of any other kind indicates a problem.

Since it is a store-bought gun, I'd just return it. I would also suggest a Water Warriors brand gun, either the Tiger Shark or the Orca. There are a few other brands out there, such as Storm, but their guns are often hard to find and the companies themselves often no longer operate. You might find knock-offs or imitation guns, but they tend to be weak and poorly constructed.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 20, 2007 5:20 pm

Welcome to the forums! Sorry to hear about your woes with stock soakers, as most guns don't have such problems.

Just in case you're still interested in repairing the water gun, check out the open trigger valve repair article. Or a similar article at the Super Soaker Workshop.

I also recommend the Tiger Shark and the Orca. Make sure your hand fits in the small Tiger Shark grip though.