water mine!!!!!????=)

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
gummybear.na20

water mine!!!!!????=)

Post by gummybear.na20 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:41 am

not sure if this should be in off topic , homemade or here..........
anyways i've been working on a water mine.
its suposed to shoot water when steped on
so i've came up with two ideas, (note that i came up with the idea half a minute ago)
1. check with a stick attached to the stopper thingy, so when its pushed it opens the valve, and a pressure chamber on other side with a tubeless tire schrader valve,water goes over the stopper thing in the valve ( theres this big gap that they leave)
2. two caps and conecting pipe, first cap has hole on top, put a piece of rubber with wood backing and a screw in middle( use to plug hole), second cap has schrader valve . when screw is steped on it displaces rubber plug opens hole. thats the basic concept, but u could add a return spring and guide on the top. and yes i know theres no water resevoir, i can't see a good solution other than plain pipe with silicone

thoughts, comments, concerns, ideas?

cantab

Re: water mine!!!!!????=)

Post by cantab » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:49 am

If you really want to make a water mine - something that's likely to be of limited use anyway - I'd suggest a claymore approach. Basically, a pressure chamber feeding multiple nozzles, aimed in a fan at the target area. The mine is mounted above ground, so thus must be concealed/camoflagued.

The difficult bit is figuring out how to trigger it. A tripwire won't be able to open a ball valve. You could try using a sprinkler valve, electronically. You'll need some sort of logic circuit, so that breaking the tripwire causes current to go to the valve
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:51 pm

cantab wrote:If you really want to make a water mine - something that's likely to be of limited use anyway - I'd suggest a claymore approach. Basically, a pressure chamber feeding multiple nozzles, aimed in a fan at the target area. The mine is mounted above ground, so thus must be concealed/camoflagued.

The difficult bit is figuring out how to trigger it. A tripwire won't be able to open a ball valve. You could try using a sprinkler valve, electronically. You'll need some sort of logic circuit, so that breaking the tripwire causes current to go to the valve

or a magnetic reed switch could be used to activate the circuit, when the trip wire pulls the magnet away from the reed it goes off.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:28 pm

I currently use water bottles with 2 holes drilled in them. They're really just for fun instead of being a serious attempt to get kills. (in fact, no one calls their deaths when they step on one, not even me, probably due to the very limited amount of water they dish out)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:51 pm

It sounds like there are two general techniques: use the weight of the foot to shoot the water, or pressurize beforehand and use the weight of the foot to trigger the burst. The former is easier to build, but the latter is obviously more powerful. Cantab and C-A 99 seem to be suggesting the former.

Gummybear, your second solution sounds effective, but you don't have to limit yourself to a single length of pipe with a tiny needle or whatnot for the trigger. Also, you can get cheap pushbutton if building one is too difficult. But a tripwire using one of Specter's reed switches would be best because it's easy to trigger over a large area. If you're familiar with electric circuits, an infrared proximity sensor or invisible tripwire is even better.

Specter, how did you hear about magnetic reed sensors? From your robotics projects?

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:24 pm

Silence wrote: Specter, how did you hear about magnetic reed sensors? From your robotics projects?
I think i was looking for some simple electronic circuits or something to build and different switches i could use and stumbled upon them. for example like a window alarm, if a window is pushed up and the switches dont line up a buzzer will sound.

but i think we did have reed switches in our robotics supplies as well. we just never used them
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:35 am

Silence wrote:It sounds like there are two general techniques: use the weight of the foot to shoot the water, or pressurize beforehand and use the weight of the foot to trigger the burst. The former is easier to build, but the latter is obviously more powerful. Cantab and C-A 99 seem to be suggesting the former.
No, I was suggesting pre-pressurisation. Basically a multi-nozzled gun with an automatic trigger. Probably not by foot pressure either - the breaking of a tripwire can cover a larger area, as large as the mine will soak.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

gummybear.na20

Post by gummybear.na20 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:20 am

i've gone ahead with my second design, its seems to work great. return spring works, the thing is sealed. just waiting for pvc cement to dry and silicone to cure
its kinda like a small toy. i made it with 1 1/2 in pipe. Probly weaker than a water bottle , but still fun to play with. jsut think about these at the beach . i'd throw a decent amount of sand in the air. good thing is that this design only cost 4.20, which is a third to a fourth of the cost jsut for the check valve of the first design

but anyways, i'm probly gonna do a large claymore later, i was thinking of doing a modded sprinkler triping physicaly. the modded one shown on this site, has a blow gun thing.so loop a string tie it so thing when pulled sets of blowgun, which turns the switch. that'd be the simplest, but it'd probly not work half the time

the eletronics sounds good, but im worried about power supply and complexity,and budget

gummybear.na20

Post by gummybear.na20 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:36 pm

i didn't consider the fact that it takes a good amount of force to break the seal, so i didn't put a nut infront of the rubber, i did remember to but a washer and nut behind it though.
now its seals up, but the rubber staysbehind, when the bolt is pressed down( i replaced screw and wood with bolt and washer, so prototype failed

and now the question is how do i get the rubber stuff to go along with the bolt , since theres no space for a nut cause its pressed up against the top of the cap. I was thinking some sort or locking washer, what do u guys think?
Last edited by gummybear.na20 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Techie

Post by Techie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 pm

(If I seem to have NO idea what this conversation is about, then you could just ignore me) You could use a few small regular washers that are crazy glued together and then krazy glue that to to the bolt. I once did something like this with a bunch of idiots with REALLY big guns, and those washers worked perfectly.

IF NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY SENSE, THEN DISREGARD IT.
You know what turned Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. If I were called "Annie" for 20 years, I would get pretty pissed off too.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:27 pm

The thread is months old, and they probably have moved on.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Techie

Post by Techie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:47 pm

Crap. oh well, worth a try. would my suggestion work anyway?
You know what turned Anakin Skywalker to the Dark Side. If I were called "Annie" for 20 years, I would get pretty pissed off too.