CPS 2500 leaks from trigger valve (Fixed for now)

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
daanj

Post by daanj » Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:16 pm

Hey guys,
My trusty CPS 2000 was stolen (can you believe it?) a couple of days ago (actually I lend it to my brother, who took it to school, and someone stole it while he wasn't paying attention). Anyways, he tried to find me a "new" second hand CPS 2000, but came up with a 2500.

However, it is broken. When you pump it, the pressure chamber slowly releases water without pulling the trigger. At first I thought the rubber cps bag was broken, but after opening the soaker up, I found the problem to be the trigger valve. Water and air is escaping via the metal rod that's inserted into the valve, as visible here:

The 2 pieces of the trigger valve itself however are, in addition to some screws, glued together.

So now my question: Is there any way to stop this leak without having to cut the valve open?

Thanks a lot,
Daan

death angel

Post by death angel » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:42 pm

Try using the rubber band method, or the spring method as shown here. It's a really easy repair. That really stinks that you lost a blaster as valuable as the CPS 2000! Anyways, good luck with the repair! B)

~ Death Angel
Nintendo DS Forums!
No longer undiscussed!

daanj

Post by daanj » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:02 pm

Originally posted by death angel@Jun 10 2005, 11:42 PM
Try using the rubber band method, or the spring method as shown here.  It's a really easy repair.  That really stinks that you lost a blaster as valuable as the CPS 2000! Anyways, good luck with the repair!  B)

~ Death Angel
[snapback]25280[/snapback]

Thanks for the reply. I tried it, but unfortunately it doesn't work. So I just cracked open the trigger valve casing, figuring the o-ring on the metal rod must be broken. Indeed it was. Is there any way to remove the metal rod from the casing, so I can replace the o-ring? It seems like all the stuff is glued together.

I made a couple of pics of the situation. The pictured rod is the one to remove:

The broken o-ring isn't visible on the first picture, it's down there where the rod connects to the plastic casing. The leak is just about where the arrow is in the second picture.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:37 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central daanj! Enjoy your stay! I have upgraded your membership account.

I'm not very sure that there is a repair for the O-ring that is broken there. I've never seen the outer parts removed from that rod, and I doubt that it is possible without breaking the Super Soaker CPS 2500 further.

One possibility is the replacement of the valve, which would save the water gun but change how it operates. That would be a last resort.

Try some silicone glue or a lubricant that seals well. With silicone glue, you could squeeze some down by the location of the O-ring and hope that it seals it better. Applying the lubricant should be relatively straightforward as well - just get some on the rod on both sides and move it back and forth.

I would try to figure out a way to remove the O-ring, but I do not have a CPS 2500 to work on. My CPS 2700, which has a similar valve, I may be able to take a good look at, but I'm not sure if it will help very much.

daanj

Post by daanj » Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:02 am

Originally posted by Doom@Jun 11 2005, 12:37 AM
Welcome to Super Soaker Central daanj! Enjoy your stay! I have upgraded your membership account.

I'm not very sure that there is a repair for the O-ring that is broken there. I've never seen the outer parts removed from that rod, and I doubt that it is possible without breaking the Super Soaker CPS 2500 further.

One possibility is the replacement of the valve, which would save the water gun but change how it operates. That would be a last resort.

Try some silicone glue or a lubricant that seals well. With silicone glue, you could squeeze some down by the location of the O-ring and hope that it seals it better. Applying the lubricant should be relatively straightforward as well - just get some on the rod on both sides and move it back and forth.

I would try to figure out a way to remove the O-ring, but I do not have a CPS 2500 to work on. My CPS 2700, which has a similar valve, I may be able to take a good look at, but I'm not sure if it will help very much.
[snapback]25287[/snapback]

Thanks a lot for your reply. I will give the CPS2500 a closer look again this afternoon and let you know how it goes.

This website is great by the way, especially the home-made watergun info. I might try to build one myself when I've got some free time on my hands :)

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:07 am

Welcome to the forums!

Good luck on repairing your gun. I wanted to know though, the person who stole your CPS 2000 from you, is he a local person who goes to your school, as if he is, then I suggest that if you get your 2500 fixed then I suggest that you and your brother go up to him with the gun and threaten him to give you your 2000 back. Its 2 on 1 so just fire your 2500 at him and soak him then get him down to make him suffer. Then he may eventually give in and lead you to his house and give you it back. Then he will know that its you who is the king of water guns round your area not him. Sorry to hear it got stolen anyway. :(

*Wild Boys*

daanj

Post by daanj » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:46 pm

The silicon glue seems to hold, don't know for how long though, since it stretches along with the rod when it moves. This means the trigger is a bit heavy now too.

Anyways, I'll be gone for a week. I'll put the soaker back together afterwards, and we'll see if it works or if it won't.

daanj

Post by daanj » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:32 pm

I'm back, and have tested the soaker. Unfortunately, after a few pumps, the pressure became too high for the silicon and it popped. I'm afraid this soaker is a goner, unless someone has a really good idea. :(

daanj

Post by daanj » Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:13 pm

I figured what the hey, put some more silicone on there and put the thing back together. I'm glad to say the leaking is almost gone, at least the soaker is usable now.

Anyways, there's a new sort of problem: the stream (especially on 20x) is really ugly, it's "stuttering" badly. While pumping, it feels and sounds like there's some air being pumped into the firing chamber, and when firing it does indeed sound like a bit of an "airy" shot. When opened up and while pumping, air bubbles can be seen inside the tube leading from the reservoir to the trigger valve. So it must be a new (or old, probably) leak. Has anyone got an idea where this leak might be? Thanks again for all the help so far!

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:53 pm

Originally posted by daanj@Jun 20 2005, 09:13 AM
Anyways, there's a new sort of problem: the stream (especially on 20x) is really ugly, it's "stuttering" badly. While pumping, it feels and sounds like there's some air being pumped into the firing chamber, and when firing it does indeed sound like a bit of an "airy" shot. When opened up and while pumping, air bubbles can be seen inside the tube leading from the reservoir to the trigger valve. So it must be a new (or old, probably) leak. Has anyone got an idea where this leak might be? Thanks again for all the help so far!
[snapback]25384[/snapback]

Ok, now try sealing the connections with epoxy or another really strong glue, and see if that fixes the problem, that could be how air is getting into the tubing if you do not see any knicks in the tubing. As for the gutsy sound with the 20x shot, I believe that is normal. It is a 1 to 2 second shot, if it is blurting several times in that time frame, it may be that a valve is not opening correctly, but I doubt it. If I was able to see it in person, I could tell you. Try tightening/sealing those connections (example where the tubing connects to the resevoir, etc.) Also make sure that the reservoir cap is on tight.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:28 pm

To find a leak, you must dry pump your Super Soaker CPS 2500 in water to see where the bubbles come out.

To dry pump, remove all of the internal parts from your Super Soaker CPS 2500 and pump them until they are empty of all water (remember to pull the valve to release any pressure). Place the internals in a large bucket of water with the reservoir intake tube sticking out into the air and pump your water gun. You should be able to locate the area of the leak from the bubbles (if there are any).

daanj

Post by daanj » Tue Jun 21, 2005 4:39 pm

Thanks man, I think I nailed it: the connection between the pump mechanism and the big red water reservoir was a bit weak. I took it off, and it seems the o-ring in there was just a bit rotten. So I jammed some silicone in there. When the glue's all dried up (tomorrow) I'll report back here. I sure hope it's the last time I have to open this thing up ;)

daanj

Post by daanj » Wed Jun 22, 2005 3:28 pm

It's finally fixed. Not only was the connection between pump and tank bad, the pump itself also needed some help; it didn't seal well and let a lot of air in. I tried the pump fix as shown on this website with a lot of grease and now it works (for how long I don't know, but at least for now).

By the way, I got my CPS 2000 back!

Thanks for all the help,
Daan

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:20 pm

That's great news. Not only have you got your 2000 back you've gained a finally working 2500 from all of your hard, well earned work. Well done! :Hey, that's funny.:

Also, how did you get your 2000 back?

daanj

Post by daanj » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:26 pm

Originally posted by Wild Boys@Jun 22 2005, 06:20 PM
That's great news. Not only have you got your 2000 back you've gained a finally working 2500 from all of your hard, well earned work. Well done! :Hey, that's funny.:

Also, how did you get your 2000 back?
[snapback]25447[/snapback]

Yeah, I've got two huge cannons now :D

The CPS2000 was stashed in the trash by a "friendly" teacher, who apparently didn't like the sight of a supersoaker in school. Luckily the cleaner found it and called my brother. Totally ridiculous behaviour by that teacher, absolutely not what you'd expect from a supposedly grown up woman.