Good water gun for cat behavior modification

General water gun discussion.
mish_the_fish

Good water gun for cat behavior modification

Post by mish_the_fish » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:45 am

Hello,

We just adopted a new kitten. Here is his photo: http://www.zeuscat.com/momo.jpg

He is crazy (as most kittens are), and often does things like attack our older cat, or eat plants. He is in fact jumping on my keyboard right this instant, as I write this, making the composing of this message take quite a bit longer than it would otherwise. We would like to modify his behavior. A good way to modify a cat's behavior is to squirt him with water.

So I'm looking for a water gun with the following characteristics: (1) minimal leakage, as it may sit by the bedside or on a desk for long periods of time; (2) good range and accuracy, as it may be necessary to squirt the cat from across the room; and (3) able to be instantly deployed, for example, without needing to pump it up because it has been sitting around and has depressurized. It also needs to be (4) not too big or ugly, since it will sit around in various areas of the house.

A motorized option seems to be good for 1-3 above. When I was a kid, I had a motorized water gun (probably made by Entertech, although I don't remember). It was bright green, modeled after a 1911 pistol, used two AA batteries, and was pretty good, with minimal leakage, and decent range and accuracy. I used to annoy my brother and also shoot houseflies with it. But, it seems to me that today's market has very few motorized water gun options. I couldn't seem to find an analogous water gun.

I did find the "Saturator" series of water guns on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Saturator-Disrupt ... B003A01ZAQ

But, it was enormous, and makes loud sound effects.

Anybody have a suggestion for a water gun that fulfills the requirements outlined above? Thanks in advance for your unique expertise!

mish_the_fish

Re: Good water gun for cat behavior modification

Post by mish_the_fish » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:56 am

Oh, I should note that I did search the forum and found a few threads about squirting cats, but, sadly, they reference a lot of water guns which seem to be unavailable now.

I also found this on iSoaker: http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Analysis ... s_jet.html

It looks perfectly suitable but again, I can't seem to find it anywhere for sale. (Amazon.com is the best retail option for me, but, I'd be willing to do some more work than that to get a good water gun solution, too.)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:53 am

In the future, you can use the edit button if you forgot to add something, rather than making another post. (Just some basic forum etiquette.) Thanks.

I never owned any pets, though a friend whose house I frequent has one cat and several dogs. The cat is indeed quite lazy (but at least it meows back) while his dogs are rather annoying. I guess I have a tendancy to find dogs annoying though; the neighbors' dogs bark a ton when I shoot water balloons in the backyard, and every dog I've seen barks and rushes to the front door when someone shows up.

You may be better off with a manually pumped water blaster since you won't have to worry about batteries. For squirting pets, a Max-D 2000 or 3000 should do the job though you could also try out piston powered blasters. Piston powered blasters are easier to control in terms of power, but air pressure blasters' power can also be controlled by limiting the pumping done.

TheTyphoon

Post by TheTyphoon » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 am

I reccommend a Liquidator. Good range and accuracy, small, durable and not horrible enough to drown the poor puddycat.

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-HB52583-Su ... B0002S7UDK
My Current Soaker Loadout: CPS 2500, SC 500, 1 x Water Balloon

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Well, I'm a bit surprised that the Liquidator is still available but no one in their right mind would pay $30 for that. With a Max-D 2000 or 3000 (which can be found in stores usually for #5 ea. though the 2k may not be available anymore and the 3k is only sold in twin packs), you can get similar performance as well as control the power of the blast by limiting how much you pump.

Thus your best choices are air and piston pressure blasters. Air pressure allows you to fire a short sustained shot for those really bad behaviors. Both allow you to control the power of the blast easily. Chances are that a full powered blast is usually unecessary and will only piss off the animal.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:48 pm

The problem I see is that the preference for an instantly-fireable piston blaster somewhat contradicts the desire for no leaks. Piston blasters tend to be made more cheaply (well, the cheap ones, anyway!) and will often leak out of the cap.

For no leaks, a pressurised reservoir blaster would be best. But I'm not sure how long they'll hold pressure for. The Sting Ray leaks, as does the XP 215, so they're out. The XP 220 might be ideal.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:37 pm

Or you could just get one of the new line of super soakers at your local Walmart/Target. The rattler, shot blast, and bottle blitz are all piston based, and will be ready for when you need them.
It looks perfectly suitable but again, I can't seem to find it anywhere for sale.
The WW Tarantula is much better then the WW jet, but the only thing is how to find it.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:03 am

The Jet and Tarantula are good choices - they're recent, motorized water guns. Not as powerful as the largest conventional water guns, but I'm sure you don't need that anyway.

If you can't find either, a small, air-powered pistol should do. You can leave them charged indefinitely and there won't be much air leakage. Models by Trendmasters or Buzz Bee Toys are the most reliable; among the recent ones, the Deluge looks fairly good.

Regardless, note that I'd be wary of shooting a water gun in, e.g. the bedroom, especially if you have carpeted or wood flooring.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:34 am

I don't think the Jet would be powerful enough. The Max-D 2000 or 3000 are good choices, but it shoots quite a bit of water, which could ruin things in your house and get the cat too wet. I recommend the Water Warriors Stingray or Deluge. They have good enough range, but the output isn't great. In this case, this could be a good thing so that you don't ruin stuff or completely soak the cat. Plus, they're very small. The Barracuda may also be a good choice.
Last edited by martianshark on Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:19 pm

Maybe it was something with my batteries, but the Jet is dreadful, it barely gets squirt-gun range, no power at all.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Well like I said, air pressure guns can be controlled by limiting pumping. (And by shooting extra air out if you pump it farther than needed.) Motorized blasters cannot, which is one reason they're probably not a good idea. The Max-D 2k should do fine but if you can't find one, the 3k should be available. The trigger controls also make it easier to fire consistent, brief shots unlike with piston blasters.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:29 pm

If you find all of these guns too hard to find, or too much, you could always use a squirt bottle. :D

But I would caution against getting the cat too wet, as they become extremely hostile. (or at least, most of them do.)
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:18 pm

Hey, why not just use a squirt pistol? It has good enough range - possibly even better than a stingray - and no pumping is required.

By the way, another reason the Jet isn't a good choice is because it takes a moment for it to start squirting.