I need a concealable water gun

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
quaternio

I need a concealable water gun

Post by quaternio » Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:39 am

I'm playing a game similar to street wars (streetwars.net), and I need a gun that is concealable that squirts a minimal amount of water. In the second video on the above website is a design, but I'm new at this stuff and can't really figure out the components of the device in the video. Any small, easy, and cheap design like this will do, so if anyone can point me to specific design I'd be most greatful. Again, I don't need power at all, I just need to covertly get someone wet with something that has at least about a ten-ish foot range. I could probably go to Lowes and figure it out, but I've only got a couple of days to get something for this thing.

thanks a lot

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:25 am

I don't really want RealPlayer on my computer, so I can't view the video file. Maybe another program can play it...

Anyway, I'm surprised they've shown a homemade weapon. If that's the case, it's likely a PPP (PVC Piston Pumper), which I can link to on m15399's site if you want me to. If you only need 10 feet of range, then any old squirt gun for a dollar will do. Otherwise, I would recommend a soaker like the Buzz Bee Cricket--pocket size with decent range.

It's really not worth building a homemade unless it's going to be either simple or larger than 6 inches long :p . But the extra range could be useful, especially if your enemies can only shoot a fifth of your range.

quaternio

Post by quaternio » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:09 am

i'm actually refering to the embedded YouTube videos on the front page. anyway, it essentially is a three foot hose with a few valves (presumably for pumping air pressure, or something), a nozzle, and a bladder-like squeezable pump. The whole contraption fits into one long sleeve, accross the back, and out the other sleeve, with the pump in one hand and the nozzle in the other. Its just one long cord, and it might simply be a hose filled with water that is fired by simply squeezing the pump, the valve simply being there to prevent leakage when not in use. I thought that maybe somebody would have done this before and therefore might have recognized it. It seems to be somewhat similar to the "MWC" that was recently posted.

in the video, this actual device seems to shoot quite a bit farther than 10 feet, which would be nice. part of the problem is that there isn't really a great selection of water guns in stores at this time of the year, and i need something in a few days. i may resort to a simple store bought gun, but i thought i'd try to see if there is an easily made design out there (this one looks incredibly simple too).

---- apparently YouTube is down, so the videos on the main page aren't working at the moment
Last edited by quaternio on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:36 am

I'll get a design for you later today. This morning I need to leave. Until then, if you read this, let me know in this thread if you're fine with ordering things from McMaster-Carr.

quaternio

Post by quaternio » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:52 pm

i don't mind, i just don't know if i would get it in time; i live in a college dorm and all shipping service (usps, ups, fedex, etc.) go through the post office, which has limited hours for picking up packages. i might even be able to find LRT somewhere locally (but i'm not sure). in any case, i figured that i might have to use a substitute.

i really appreciate your assistence!

oh, and as a side note, finding McMaster-Carr through this forum is sort of a watershed for me. for a long time i've been looking to try to learn to make biodiesal, and its looking like this site has some of the large industrial-type stuff that i'll need to do it. it will be quite the learning experience though, because i'm not really a very mechanical person. perhaps some experience working with valves and so forth in homemade water guns will help me too ;)
Last edited by quaternio on Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:23 pm

It's relatively hard to make out the pictures since I had to skip through the frames, but it should be fairly simple. You'll need the LRT (did you find the link on the main page?), hose adapters (fittings that go into the LRT) and Jubilee clips (round clamps that hold the LRT onto the adapters), pressure-resistant hose tubing and adapters for that (one adapter should have a ball valve for the trigger), and a piece to connect to a hose for filling.

Ben's 2 Liter Homemade article is probably the most relevant. I'd suggest some changes, though. For example, the use of an adapter with a ball valve eliminates the need for the hose gun, but a nozzle system will help if you want much better range. The hose filling fitting will be in the same location. However, you will probably want LRT instead of an air-pressure chamber; some recent thread that I've linked to talk about balloons for the CPS chamber instead, so that's an option. Otherwise, LRT will do.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:37 pm

I didn't have any time today to do anything and have only a few minutes to spare before I have to return to writing two reports due tomorrow. Tomorrow afternoon should be more free for me. Sorry for the delay.

Also, I would highly suggest against any design similar to the MWC for several reasons. The MWC design is not powerful, is more complicated than it needs to be, and has no nozzle. Consequently it performs poorly.

What I have in mind right now should get about 40 - 45 feet of range for at least three minutes straight and be completely concealable... I'm considering making a prototype with some leftover parts, but not right now because I'm very busy.

quaternio

Post by quaternio » Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:46 pm

i'll take the word of experience then. thanks very much.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:06 am

I have a small prototype made. I'll edit in pictures and a parts list later today. This is very concealable in either a shirt or very baggy pants. I believe it would work best being concealed in a sweatshirt however.

Lukeh

Re: I need a concealable water gun

Post by Lukeh » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Hi, did you ever make the super concealable gun? something that fit up a sleeve and could be fired by the same hand would be great!

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:17 am

This thread is four years old. SSCentral has fairly low activity; do check the age of the thread before posting.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Lukeh

Post by Lukeh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:55 pm

I'd still appreciate a response, the age of the thread isnt a big deal, i'd only have made a similar thread if this didnt exist!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:07 pm

It would probably be better to make a new thread asking for help with building a water gun. Or PM the guy and see if he responds.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:28 pm

To answer the question, there isn't really a blaster which will do that for you. I would suggest something equivalent to a PR backpack, with a hose to a ball valve. It would be primed ith a bike pump. you would need to remove it to prime it.

EDIT: Never mind, you want the whole thing to be concealable.
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:39 am

A pressurized reservoir blaster that's very small and shaped accordingly would be about as far as you can get with this, if you need the entire system to be completely concealed. If you can use a backpack, you can get a lot more water and power.

The XP215 and generic squirt guns are the only blasters sold in stores that allow you to conceal within a sleeve. Otherwise, if you design your own solution, you can build small containers of pressurized water around yourself and use tubes to bring the water to your hand. Then, with a small, concealable valve, you can fire it there. You can also place the valve earlier along the tube system if you would rather fire with your other hand, but then once you fire, there will be a lot of leftover water that can leak out.

Here's an idea, if you can't use a backpack. Have several soda bottles in your pockets which will appear as simply drinks from the outside. These bottles need to be pre-pressurized before you soak your target, but if you don't want this pre-pressurization to be cumbersome, you'll need to spend quite a bit of money to design it accordingly. Assuming that's not a problem, have each bottle hooked up to a tube on the bottom. (The water must submerge the tube in each bottle.) The tubes will connect to each other, and will lead all the way to a valve on your hand where you can control the system.