Ocean Volcano Union: Battle Report 11/28/09

Post your epic water war tale!
JuchTurtles

Ocean Volcano Union: Battle Report 11/28/09

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:07 am

Water war today

It was a nice day and we decided to have a war. *HaroldBears (who I have to get on the WW network) and I called up all of the war members.

It was 3v2. *Here are the teams in the Ocean Volcano Union (I need to post about this too) with weapons.

INFrARED WAVE
Commandor HaroldBears: Monster X, Renegade
Fire Seitz: Vindicator, Secret Strike

C0BALT TiDE
Commander JuchJawsTurtles(me): CPS 1200, XP 270
Snake-Eyes: CPS 4100, Vindicator
Speedy Dog: Artic Blast, Storm 800

We played two different types of games, Capture the Flag and One-Hit Kills Respawn (we played first to five wins).

The battlefield was HaroldBears' house and the area around it. *There are some woods, some trenches we dug (with permission of course), and then some open areas. *The two bases are an elevated treehouse and a large trench.

It was like 50 degrees F today, so we all wore layers.

So here's what happened:

Capture the Flag:

We started out at our bases and when we signaled at each other to begin the war. *Speedy Dog stayed at the base with his guns pressurized and a spare Equilizer pressurized. *Snake-Eyes and I went opposite directions with him going around the house and I going into the woods.

I saw HaroldBears nearby, but he didn't see me. *I jumped into a nearby trench as he approached. *He didn't know I was feet away. *Ambush!

My 1200 soaked him thoroughly. *He ran back to his base as Snake-Eyes soaked Fire Seitz with an 8.5x blast from the 4100.

Snake-Eyes and I went back to base. *Speedy Dog was still there and nothing had happened. *Suddenly, the other team was nearby, and they were in another trench. *We exchanged shots. *Speedy Dog got hit once and then Snake-Eyes threw a balloon at them.

They finally retreated. *Snake-Eyes' 4100 was almost out so he grabbed the Equilizer and made the Vindicator his primary weapon.

We all took positions on the wall near the other base and fired with our highest range nozzles. *The height of their base gave them an advantage. *Water rained down on us, we ducked using the stone wall as cover.

Fire Seitz came down the treehouse and charged at me. I shot at him wih my XP 270. *Unluckily the shots missed. Lucky for me, Speedy Dog gave me cover. And we both shot at him until he left us.

I went over the wall and then to the treehouse. *They didn't know I was there.

I soaked them with my 1200 and then climbed up and grabbed the flag. *Then I jumped down and ran until I was at our base. *We'd won!

One-Hit Kills Respawn: first to five wins

After some drying off and refilling, we went back to our bases and started another war. *Our team was going to stay together and so we started off in the woods. *As the other team was approaching, we went into a trench.

They spotted us and fired. *We ducked for cover and shot back. *They jumped into a trench and we had a fire-fight. *Some kills were exchanged. *Speedy Dog and Fire Seitz had to respawn at the bases. *1-1. *HaroldBears retreated because Snake-Eyes and I were going to overpower him.

We also returned to our base. *Suddenly they ambushed us from behind a stone wall. *We ducked for cover and fired back. *Snake-Eyes and I shot down HaroldBears. *He had to respawn and Fire Seitz got away too.

For about fifteen minutes we just had attacks and counterattacks. *The score was 3-2 us. *I had not been killed so far.

Then we had another firefight in the woods in trenches. *I was almost hit, but I ducked at the last second. *Snake-Eyes climbed out and charged with a loaded CPS 4100 and Vindicator, both on largest nozzle settings.

He ran up and fired at both of them, getting two points. *We won again.

It was mostly because we had more players. *Hopefully we'll have a better turnout next war.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Re: Ocean Volcano Union: Battle Report 11/28/09

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:25 am

I can't even think about having a war in November here in MI. The off-season for us generally closes at September at latest. (we don't play when it's below 70 or 65)

Trenches generally don't seem to work for water warfare due to it's close range nature and the fact that one can easily arc shots or water balloons to attack a target hiding in a trench. Not worth digging them IMO.

Sounds like a fun war though. Good to be able to get one in before winter settles in. Generally, the more players you have, the less team inbalance there is, depending on skill and gun differences between players and how well those differences can be assessed to make strong, but balanced teams.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:38 am

Ya, I think it's the last war of the year. We dug trenches because we are going to use them for Airsoft and Nerf too. It's also for some cover, but streams do sometimes go over. Water Balloons are perfect grenades (haha).
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

DX

Post by DX » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:34 am

The old RM had an intra-team skirmish in December once, in a bamboo forest on Shelter Island. 50 degress was our cut-off temp.

Trenches sometimes work, if you have cover and an element of surprise. A trench below a wall makes for excellent defense. Otherwise...hehe there was a war at Waterbridge where they tried to defend from a natural trench. We were on the main path shooting in and got 3 kills in less than a minute of fighting. Usually open trenches are slaughter pits.

Looks like you guys had fun. Being outnumbered is actually an incredible advantage in some gametypes..the more lopsided the more power to the smaller team. 2v3 kinda sucks though, that's too close to invoke outnumbered advantages.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Ya, I'm either gonna have to get more to come or recruit more.

We only have about 8 members anyway overall.

It wasn't that bad at fifty degrees, as long as you weren't soaked completely.

Today's looking to be a nicer day so we might start something up.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:28 am

I still haven't seen outnumbering advantage in any situation yet. Perhaps if the game is score based and the smaller team has somewhat better players, it means more kills in less time, but thats as far as I've seen.

At even 65°, I don't trust many of the people I play around not to drench someone else. There are hoses around and so much as refilling a gun poorly results in VERY cold fingers. (unless you have ergonomical insulating gloves/mittens that can seal or something)

We do play in the rain though, given the temperature's acceptable. The weather gives an interesting change to the environment of a war.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:56 pm

It only comes out in games with respawning. Doesn't have to be OHS, but usually is. Also usually won't be seen unless tactics are taken very seriously, as it utilizes the desperate effect. You've got to be really motivated to use it. The gist of the outnumbered offense is that the larger team simply has more targets to hit than can be reciprocated. That's why outnumbered advantage grows as the disparity grows. The odds of multiple kills per player in 4v16 are better than 4v8. The smaller team does not need better skill or weapons, but less skill or worse weaponry will suppress the effectiveness of the strategy.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:42 pm

I think it's also because with a team of 2, if one has to respawn, the other is by themselves and usually flees - especially when he's fighting against 2 or 3 or even 4 or 5.

If it's 6v7, if one has to respawn, it's not putting you at as much of a disadvantage (5v7 or 6v6) and your whole team would not flee.

I'm gonna recruite more so that this isn't as much of a problem in the future.

It's definitely the last war - cold and wet (snowy?) weather is ahead for December.
SPLASH! You're dead!