Need tech help

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Soaker Mom

Need tech help

Post by Soaker Mom » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:07 pm

This may seem sacrilegious to most of you, so I apologize in advance. I took my son to a garage sale today and he left as the proud new owner of an A.R.M. 4000 XL. It seems, from what I've read in some other threads, that this is the perfect gun for a 5 year old. The problem is that we can seem to find out how to load it. I'm thinking that we may be missing a piece or so. I can only describe what we have as the body. The arm bends as it should, but there is no detachable piece that I would guess holds the water supply. I see a green clear tunnel that has no plug, so it holds no water. There is a screen of types that is at the top where the shoulder is. I hope someone is following this description somehow and might be able to tell me what I'm missing (either part wise or intelligence wise :confused: ). Thank you for your help.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:59 am

The ARM 4000 XL uses a backpack as a water reservoir. I'm not sure if iSoaker has a review of the ARM 4000 XL, however I know from the one I own that it utilizes a clear green backpack. It is more than possible to build a makeshift backpack out of a garbage bag and a few couplers, however I'm not entirely sure how the back pack attaches to the gun (whether it is a threaded adaptor or a quick disconnect).

If I were you, I'd opt for creating a homemade backpack, one with more capacity, and that can easily fit inside of a standard backpack.
Last edited by wetmonkey442 on Sat Jul 08, 2006 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:27 am

Actually, I was getting around to replying, but I'm glad wetmonkey442 responded first. Why? Because otherwise, I would have needed to find a picture of the soaker; but now we know the problem.

The trash bag backpack is very simple and cheap, so there is nothing to worry about. The article should explain everything fairly well, but I must add that you should use a plastic bottle of the type Doom/Ben suggested, as opposed to a PVC system--which I though would be more solid. While using PVC allowed me to have well-attached hose fittings, it added weight and cost, and the sharper threads cut through part of the bag (although the seal still held, and I don't need to screw it on as much).

I suggest 1/2" outer diameter (OD) hosing, but you might need something else (most likely 3/8" OD). A variety of fittings and hoses are available, so there might be a way to rig up a new connection system. You might need to stretch the hose a bit to fit over a larger-than-predicted fitting, or tighten the Jubilee clip (or hose clamp) to fit on a smaller fitting. Also, since pressure won't be in contact with the tubing, a bit of epoxy might do the trick, too.

Soaker Mom

Thank you!

Post by Soaker Mom » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:33 pm

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me solve my dilemma. Also, thank you for putting up with my beginner double posting shenanigans. Lesson learned. I'm excited to construct this backpack water reservoir and am grateful for the trials and errors of those who undertook this project before me. Truth be told, I never would have been able to figure out such a thing on my own. I'll check in soon just to let you know how we do. I have a feeling we'll be coming here often to learn the fine art of water gun warfare. Thanks again.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:40 pm

Hope your project works out OK. Since this thread doesn't really belong in "Buy/Sell", though, I'm moving it to the repair forum, "Super Soaker repair". :cool:
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

CROC

Post by CROC » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Is it still possible to get an ARM gun? I saw some puctures on google, and it looks like a cool water gun to have. If anyone sees anything around in local stores, let me know
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:23 pm

Umm...no. Rumor is the ARM X.L. 4000 was pulled off the shelves due to "pressure" from Super Soaker, but I think I read about another rumor somewhere that said they might make them again. I doubt they will, though...