Something with long range for bad kitties?

General water gun discussion.
Melissa2008B

Something with long range for bad kitties?

Post by Melissa2008B » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:26 am

We love birds and have had bird feeders in the yard for probably 20 years.

Now we have 9 pet birds in the house too.

But lately, several cats have been hanging out here and chasing the birds and
squirrels that come to our
feeder.

They can really rip apart a bird, where all you see is feathers all over the
place, it's disgusting.

The other day I heard a slamming sound against the glass patio door and it was a
cat that had chased a squirrel that had bounced off the door trying to get away. ( it did )

But this is wrong.

SO, do they make a Super Soaker that can soak a cat from say, 55 feet away?

I heard there used to be a 2000 model but they don't make that one anymore?

But what's out there that's affordable?

SSCBen

Re: Something with long range for bad kitties?

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:04 am

Welcome to SSC!

There are no water guns currently sold that shoot over 50 feet. The CPS 2000 might (let me reiterate that--might) shoot 55 feet without modification but that's beating the average. Modification of many of the older water guns certainly makes that range possible. However, those water guns are hard to find and there is a chance of breaking the water gun through modification. None of the currently sold water guns can shoot over 50 feet without extensive modification to the point where you're practically building a new water gun.

Your most reasonable option is something homemade. I'd suggest the APH because it uses common parts and is rather simple to build.

Let me also state that none of the options I've mentioned here are particularly cheap. The APH can be about $50 to $100 depending on how you build it. A CPS 2000 can cost at least that much but isn't likely to get the required range. You might want to look into options other than water guns or using water guns with less range by getting closer.
Last edited by SSCBen on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:20 am

There's always the garden hose too... Even soakers with less range should work, as long as they have sufficient power and output (maybe even the Flash Flood if you're not afraid to get in closer range), but I haven't tried this myself and wouldn't know.

Captain Galaxy

Post by Captain Galaxy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:30 am

If you adapt a hose so that you can attach threaded endcaps and various other nozzles, you can easily get the neccesary range. This should be easier, cheaper and more effective than the proper water gun.
Live Long and Prosper

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:10 am

Sprinklers? Put some so they can cover everywhere, then each one won't need massive range.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:27 pm

Sprinklers would probably scare away the squirrels and birds, which is why I didn't suggest them.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:25 pm

Some sort of remote control option might work. If I were controlling something like this against some cats I'd consider it great fun, given that it can take on the cats well. Perhaps something more substantial would be necessary.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:56 am

I don't have much to add, but I'd try borrowing a dog and taking it on a tour of your garden. That's helped us against groundhogs and cats, although we do have a dog now so it's not much of a problem.

Or make something that uses noise to scare away the cats. It doesn't necessarily have to be loud...just scary, or associated with the image of you chasing them after making the noise. Hissing tends to work well against the local cats.

And finally, at this time of year (for the northern hemisphere), you could build a simple launcher for balls of leaves held together by rubber bands. Even flinging loose leaves (from up close) tends to scare cats.

coolocat

Post by coolocat » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:32 pm

How about water balloons. They can be thrown pretty far and I'm sure it would scare away the cats.