Sup people...

General water gun discussion.
k9turrent

Sup people...

Post by k9turrent » Sat May 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I'm k9. I usually Nerf, but I guess this can also be fun...
I currently have no water guns but I'm working on a system to convert most of my nerf guns to fire water.

plus I got some quick questions about this forum:

1. Any real special rules that stand out from other forums?
2. How are you guys feel about cursing?
3. Who are the moderators?
4. Why am I asking so many questions?

C-A_99

Re: Sup people...

Post by C-A_99 » Sat May 30, 2009 11:45 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central.

I wouldn't recommend conversion of neither Nerf to Soakers nor vice versa. Performance is severely hindered, or it simply isn't possible. (such as for spring - plunger guns) For the other way around, Soakers to Nerf, pumping is very inefficient due to water guns' larger chambers and does not shoot as well. Its better to leave the guns as they are and modify them only to enhance their original function.

The water warfare community is generally more relaxed and does not get the flood of posts that the Nerf communities get. As long as you don't do anything too stupid, there's not much to worry about here. As for cursing, I personally don't care, but its generally avoided (and not needed in most cases) for sake of being friendly to younger users. Of course, we also prefer proper grammar, capitalization, etc. for the sake of easier reading.

Now unlike most of what I've seen in the Nerf community, most of the basics you need on water warfare are accessible in articles around the site. Since they can't constantly be updated, they are often related topics of discussion in these forums. Still, have a look around and a lot of the basics are covered in articles here and on iSoaker.

A good way to start off is to get some of the best soakers available today in stores, but if you want real power, it rests in homemades and in the CPS line of 1998-2002. Those can only be found on eBay or from friends or garage sales, and homemades are a bit far off until you learn how to get them going. (if you've built nerf homemades, they should be pretty easy) However, as I've mentioned earlier, converting Nerf guns simply won't give you the needed power to blast water.

And thats about it. Many of us here (me included) are also into Nerf, though I haven't been able to take that as far as water warfare. The only real thing I've done with Nerf is the basic CPVC barrel replacement on the Nitefinder. (and some Maverick repairs) I prefer water warfare simply because of the ease of not having to pick up darts, and that water balloons are simpler and more universal than Nerf grenades.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 31, 2009 12:27 am

Welcome to the forums, k9. The rules are fairly straightforward, as C-A 99 already pointed out. They don't ban cursing but it's generally discouraged...of course, we step in if it's vulgar or directed at another user. The staff is listed in a link from the main page. At any rate, Ben, cantab, C-A 99, and I are the active members who've been here for a while. Ben does some Nerf stuff, but most of us don't do anything with the NIC, unlike C-A 99.

You may run into a couple problems if you modify your Nerf blasters (which I'll assume are air-pressure, not spring-powered). First, the pump draws air from the atmosphere, and reconfiguring it to pull from a reservoir (and then building the reservoir itself) may be a challenge. Second, the pressure tank may not have enough volume.

An alternative is to the standard setup (above) is what we call a "pressurized reservoir." Basically, you pump air into a tank full of water. It'll be easier for you to convert to, but they're a little more limited in performance. Finally, you could try converting a spring-powered Nerf gun like the Longshot into something like the Hydro Blast.

Good luck! :)
Last edited by Silence on Sun May 31, 2009 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

k9turrent

Post by k9turrent » Sun May 31, 2009 12:47 am

Silence wrote:Welcome to the forums, k9. Ben does some Nerf stuff, but most of us don't do anything with the NIC, unlike C-A 99.

You may run into a couple problems if you modify your Nerf blasters (which I'll assume are air-pressure, not spring-powered). First, the pump draws air from the atmosphere, and reconfiguring it to pull from a reservoir (and then building the reservoir itself) may be a challenge. Second, the pressure tank may not have enough volume. That said, you could try converting a spring-powered Nerf gun like the Longshot into something like the Hydro Blast.

Good luck! :)
Too bad, different tech, different skills...
But I have a design to make an over-powered squirt gun out of a big blast...

But I found this in my area, is it worth the $20? (oh and FYI, I'm Canadian)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 31, 2009 12:48 am

Hmm, I always assumed at least 30 - 40% or so of us here were also into Nerf in some way.

The Splat Blaster actually operates more like a spring nerf gun, but its unlike that you'll be able to convert spring Nerf guns into working water guns.

As for air powered Nerf blasters, you might be able to get their air tanks to fill up with water, but you'll need to expand or replace them to be useful, and a nozzle is also needed. IMO, not worth it. Alternatively, you could use the air pump for a pressurized resevoir homemade, though I'm not sure since those pumps may be designed differently in terms of how much air is handled.

Edit: That picture you got there is a Splashzooka, which usually scores well higher than $20 on eBay. I'd recommend getting one or 2, but you'll need to find different ways to fill it up if it doesn't come with the hose filler. You may be able to fill it up by sticking the nozzle into the hose directly, or by building a VHS.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 31, 2009 3:37 am

C-A 99: Well, Ben fights some local wars and he builds Nerf guns, and I've often looked into it. m15399, Duxburian, and others were also into Nerf, but they're become somewhat inactive here.

I'd also go for the Splashzooka. If only because, even used, it's at least as good as any new water gun on the market, provided there's a hose nearby. Caveat emptor: make sure the Splashzooka comes with a "quick fill device." It's used to fill and pressurize the gun (at the same time) from a hose, and it's the only way of doing so. They're also perennially in demand because people keep losing them, yet they're no longer sold.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 31, 2009 3:46 am

Yeah, I just went over the deal with the pressurizing QFD. (Quick Fill Device) Its not terribly necessary if you can find ways to pressurize it yourself and as I said, most hoses may fit onto the SC nozzle without attaching a QFD. If not, the VHS I mentioned has a way to fill it. If there are no hoses around, you can pressurize it by connecting the VHS to a homemade pump system. (which of course, requires the basic knowledge of manipulating PVC, but its pretty easy from there)

The VHS I used relies on a specific part: a 3/4" plug from Home Depot. The plug has a kind of inward shape from the top that fits onto an SC nozzle very well. Then, just drill a hole in it, attach it to everything else you need (i.e. a 3/4" female ball valve, which can attach directly to the hose adapter) and bingo, a homemade QFD.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun May 31, 2009 2:47 pm

Welcome to SSC k9!
1. Any real special rules that stand out from other forums?
There is a rule about flamethrowers, but aside from that none of our rules are out of the ordinary. The rules have already been linked to but I'll link to them again here. There are a few rules specific to certain sections but they are not out of the ordinary either.
2. How are you guys feel about cursing?
I am indifferent to vulgar language unless the intention is to offend. I will write "damn" every once and a while to express frustration and I've probably used a number of other curse words over the years.
3. Who are the moderators?
The current administrative team can always be viewed here: http://forums.sscentral.org/showgroups.php

All of the administrators aside from DX are at least reasonably active at the moment.