Competition for 2010?

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
JuchTurtles

Competition for 2010?

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:47 pm

I know it's not even December yet, but I think for 2010, we should have a competition of some sort.

What do you guys think?
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

cantab

Re: Competition for 2010?

Post by cantab » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:41 pm

Why not?

But any ideas what it could be?

I think some sort of engineering challenge would be cool. But it would probably need a prize fund to encourage people to attempt it.

One possibility - build an electrically-powered water blaster capable of at least 2010 inches (about 66 feet) and being carried by a single teenager. It's a big ask, but not impossible.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:25 pm

I think that engineering challenges are the best personally. It's just that we need interest from other members.

I think another is submitting on the website (like reviews, pictures, etc.)

It would be fun!
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:11 pm

Some sort of challenge sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately I'm too busy at the moment to do anything like that. We'll see what's possible in a couple months.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:46 pm

This is a good idea, but implementing anything right now would be pointless. Perhaps more members should post ideas here so that we can have a list of when the time comes.

SSC's activity is cyclic. The first third of the year (January to early April) and the last third of the year (late September to December), activity is very low and the forums are very empty. But activity skyrockets in late April through early September. So we'll see in early April if this can work.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:48 pm

Another choice for this is SuperCannon III (or IV depending on adronl's 6"-cannon) to be built. This would be "U"-shaped.

Or we could build a huge SuperCannon.

Or we could build a large APH or something.

I also think that a submitting competition would be fun.

But what about prizes? A sum of money? or a homemade?
SPLASH! You're dead!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:34 am

I also think that a submitting competition would be fun.
Are you talking about a homemade design and construction contest? That would be interesting.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 am

Drenchenator wrote:Are you talking about a homemade design and construction contest? That would be interesting.
Not really. But that would be cool. I was thinking about doing - well submitting reviews, pictures, war stories, tactics, homemades, whatever.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Bradisfun

Post by Bradisfun » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 am

i think since every 1 think's thats it's impossable to build a water sniper
then why dont we do this? it would be fun and it's something that a lot of kids come into this hobby wanting to do and then leaving after being told it's not possable so y dont we find a way? i think that it would be great for the whole hobby!

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:41 pm

Well, it's just that anything that shoots far ranged would hurt at close, unless the nozzle is changed or the power is toned down somehow. It might be fun to do this, but sniping isn't much of water warfare. At least right now because it's still not considered sniping yet.

100 feet firing at 30 feet still isn't much of a sniper. Now 1000 feet firing at 100 feet is something. Of course, like I said before, 1000 would hurt terribly at close range.

The closest thing we have today to a sniper is a WBL, but it's more of a bazooka. :-( . Sorry to disappoint.

But we could build a new type of SuperCannons or something. I'm actually working on plans for this now. It's a "U" shape that uses a dip tube.

I'm also thinking about egronomical guns. Making the best looking, most comfortable, and best feeling gun!

All these ideas should wait until Aprilish. We'll see what other people think.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Bradisfun

Post by Bradisfun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:21 am

ohk, well i think that u could make a gun that would be a good long range gun and not have it hurt at close range.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:51 pm

I don't know, but aren't you working on that now? That's what your project is now, right?
SPLASH! You're dead!

Bradisfun

Post by Bradisfun » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:57 pm

i gess i could put it off for a while ,i haven't started yet, as im working on a 800 psi pneumatic arrow head gun at the moment!!! (this thing is crazy!).

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:58 pm

Arrow-head gun? Whoa! That sounds a little dangerous!

We could do that then, even though I don't really know about it being that good of an idea. I mean the "sniper" and all.

We'll see.
SPLASH! You're dead!

Bradisfun

Post by Bradisfun » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:50 am

yeah i might post it.. imean thats if the Aaussie govament dont track me down first(i'd be in sooo muck shit!!!!)