Looking for a Free Host

Discussion of other water gun websites.
DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:13 am

I am looking for a new free host for the CFM site. I already have a .tk domain name I can attach to the site, but need a better host than freeservers. If you know any host that is RELIABLE [tried 5gigs] then please post it.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:55 pm

http://free.hostdepartment.com/

I'm not sure how reliable this is, but it allows you to have 100mb. free space and several editing tools. The only problem is it won't accept some pages.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:16 pm

It depends on what features you want on your host.

IMO, the best free host you can find is Free Prohosting. The are fast as lightning even when uploading with FTP, offer CGI/Perl (even so much I have install Ikonboard 2 on them&#33 ;) , have plenty of space for your purposes and 5 gigs of bandwith. The only drawback is the banner ads, but that pays the bills. I wish more soaker sites were on them. Especially the ones who think they can run a popular forum, much better choice than Proboards or InvisionFree.

I'm not sure what you want or need really. What exactly do you need to run your site?

DX

Post by DX » Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:56 pm

I just need a free host that is reliable. For example, the 5gigs server is slow, goes down often, and changes your password randomly. I do need some space for uploading pics, but I'll leave out videos if there isn't enough space for any. Also, on free prohosting, can you edit HTML right on the site or do you need to use an external editor?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:56 pm

Prohosting has been around for years, never had trouble with them.

I believe that they have their own editor in their control panel type thing, but I personally would stay away from it. That, is a sign of lack of knowledge in designing web sites. I would at least be like Blaze and use Frontpage, if you have MS Office you have it. FTP also is much better than web uploading.

I'd suggest asking a forum that keeps up with this. I probably have different goals in starting a website and that is why I prefer certain hosts to others. That already has shown when choosing a new host for SSC in the Mods board. http://www.freewebspace.net is a site I have been to before for that. They have extremely popular forums, also be sure to read their pinned topics, it probably will answer your questions.

Before I forget, if we buy a new plan that has plenty of space and bandwith for ourselves, I'd buy happy to host you. We're not up to that yet, but I'll contact you if we ever are.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:27 pm

Well I have a new domain on free prohosting, but have this problem every time I try to edit the site using the built in editor:

Error. The server encountered an unexpected condition which prevented it from fulfilling the request.

java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:305)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:171)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:158)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:452)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:402)
at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:309)
at java.net.Socket.(Socket.java:124)
at com.mstay.omniedit2.OmniEdit2.doPost(OmniEdit2.java:1688)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:763)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:856)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forwardServlet(SERequestDispatcher.java:638)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.forward(SERequestDispatcher.java:236)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.SERequestDispatcher.internalForward(SERequestDispatcher.java:283)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ApplicationInfo.processApplRequest(ApplicationInfo.java:1827)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServerHostInfo.processApplRequest(ServerHostInfo.java:905)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:1091)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExec.ProcessRequest(ServletExec.java:973)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExecService.processServletRequest(ServletExecService.java:167)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.ServletExecService.Run(ServletExecService.java:204)
at com.newatlanta.servletexec.HttpServerRequest.run(HttpServerRequest.java:486)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:38 pm

As I said before, don't use the built in editor. You'll find it much better to use an editor and a FTP program. I, actually never have used built in editors, so in my recommendatio of them I didn't know of problems in the editor. Try changing browsers, it might only work in a certain one. Or try updating your browser. You also could email them about the problem.