My home make soaker blows up!!!

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
sneakycookie

My home make soaker blows up!!!

Post by sneakycookie » Sat May 10, 2008 2:02 am

Well, Today i decided to make myself a water gun like the "super cannon ||" sept this one can do multible shots, has a back pack for air and water, And could shoot a distance with a wide nozzle.

It was the greatest thing i had ever thought up, but I was stupided enough to use old PVC that had been used and was dirty, and was setting in the weather for about 7 years. Now my dad went and got the parts i asked for are the local shop and i went to work.

I glued it all up and made a nozzle out of spare parts around my house and came up with this...

Well after I i was so exsited to go out and use it. I filled it half with water and about 80-psi
in it I was jsut about to fire it when my dad came out and said "hey sport what ya got there" i responded "its a super duper high powerd water cannon :D " hes said "thats pritty nice son" and he came over and put his hand on top of it..

Now Right when i said these very words " OH BOY i can't wait to shoo..."BOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!"OMG!!!?! what happen" after it exsploded i was jumping around throwing a Big fit because a whole days work was ruined..

My dad was standing there with a mean look :mad: and i said "whats the mader hurt ya self" he said "what do you think" and he put his hand up and it was completaly mest up blood was everywere, I said " are you ok dad" he said "yer, im fine kid" My dads a tuff old fart. Enyways heres what was left after the boom.

and heres what it looked like after i put the peices back together

Now what had happend is it had a small arena were the all purpos cement hadent dryed all the way and when it blew off it tore the bottem off to.

Now thats how my day was, How was yours? :cool:
Last edited by sneakycookie on Sat May 10, 2008 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Add me on xfire, "sneakiecookie"

SSCBen

Re: My home make soaker blows up!!!

Post by SSCBen » Sat May 10, 2008 2:19 am

I've moved your thread to the homemade water gun forum.

Could you get some larger pictures? I can't tell what's going on.

The problem here seems to be waiting the right amount of time for the glue to cure. Have you read the APH guide on our website? I suggest waiting at least 24 hours. If you just decided today to make this and then you pressurized it with only a few hours of curing time... you are in danger. Let me say this clearly: wait the appropriate amount of time. Your father is lucky to not have lost his hand.

The problem probably was compounded with the fact that the pipe was weathered and dirty. I also don't know if you used primer, which is an essential step in the process because it cleans the pipe.

I would suggest reading the entire APH guide to learn proper safety procedure. The water gun itself looks like a fine design and I'm sure if you followed proper safety protocol it would have worked great.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sat May 10, 2008 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sneakycookie

Post by sneakycookie » Sat May 10, 2008 2:30 am

Even thow it blew up into 5 peices, Wouldent it been AWSOME!!! :D

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sat May 10, 2008 2:56 am

Though the design looks sound, your choice of materials obviously wasn't very good. You also probably should have waited much longer--a full day at least--before pressurizing it. From what you've written it seems like you didn't even wait long at all. If it all worked out, it probably would have performed well for a simple air pressure backpack gun.

Could you get some higher quality photos? I can't tell too well from the photos what kind of pipe is being used. What does the pipe say on the its side?
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

sneakycookie

Post by sneakycookie » Sat May 10, 2008 3:41 am

I waited just about 5 hours before using it because I had a couple friends come over and we hanged out a bit. The PVC was to old to tell were it was made it was terrible PVC and I should of been smart enuff to know not to use it.

I was to low on money and my dad had got most of the stuff for me. I normaly would have gotten new PVC but at the time i had no other resources sept for this, I do know that the breaking point was because i didnt have enough cement and I didnt wait long enough for it to dry. I'm shere that the PVC would of held if i waited long enough for the stupid cement to dry.

I have already read over Ben's safty tips on SSC home page and I am clear about what I should use and do when making a home made soaker. I realy am happy with what Ben and you other mod's have done with this site and all the things I havent noticed untill now that you have put in it! Enyways thank you for caring about my dad Ben and hope that this doesent happen to enybody eles...

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:29 pm

Is that stuff even at least schedule 40? It looks like it might be what they use for drainage or some other kind of low or non pressure application. (based on the thickness of the pipes' walls in the pictures)

Aurum

Post by Aurum » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:03 pm

Well, dont be to dis-heartened by this, i would just blame the materials. I'd like to see your model rebuilt from new compression parts, then lets see if it will explode ;)
Armoury includes: Homemade Copper Gun, "Requiem" (boasts a very large water-carrying capacity, large pressure chamber, fitted pressure gauge, and as of 2nd Sept 2011, fully working home-made pump)
I seem to literally only log in once a year!