Tiger Shark pump leak?

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
NightKast

Tiger Shark pump leak?

Post by NightKast » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:15 pm

I just got my Tiger Shark from KMart and when pumping, water seems to leak out. Is this normal?

Drenchenator

Re: Tiger Shark pump leak?

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:24 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central!

Where does it leak from? If it's leaking from the pump itself every time you pump, it's probably a bad O-ring on the pump. To fix this, you have to open up the gun and replace the O-ring with another one the correct size.

If it's leaking from the nozzle while you're pumping, it's a completely different problem--but we have an article about it. It's fairly common.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

NightKast

Post by NightKast » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:30 pm

Yeah it's leaking from the pump itself when I pump. The thing is, it's not a really big leak, more like little sprays and only happens sometimes. Is it worth opening the gun and buying a new o ring to fix it?

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:35 pm

If it's not a major problem, it's probably not work fixing. But if it's a major problem and is stopping the gun from getting pressurized, you should replace it.

NightKast

Post by NightKast » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Yeah the gun shoots fine so i'm gonna leave it. Thanks for your help!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:17 pm

Take a look at our leaky pump seal article. The first option, lubrication, is easy enough and it might solve your problem. All it requires is silicone lubricant. :cool:

Good luck with your repair! :)

NightKast

Post by NightKast » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:53 am

Ok guys now I really need you help, i've opened it up but partially, the orange pump stopper thingy is keeping me from taking the whole frame apart. I don't know how to take this thing off. Any suggestions?

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:00 am

Usually you can remove a pump cap by slowly and carefully prying it off. If you do it right, it will slowly slide off. It's probably tough to get off because it's glued into place. For more information, consult this article on the subject.

NightKast

Post by NightKast » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:37 am

so really, I didn't have to remove the whole gun when I could just pry off the cap and remove the whole pumping rod to reach the o ring.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:09 am

I was talking about sliding the orange pump cap off. Sometimes once you do this, the pump can come out. But it depends. Some guns--Hasbro's newer ones for example--have square cross sections on the pump to keep it straight. You can't just take off the pump cap and expect the pump rod to slide out; it's literally trying to get larger round peg through a smaller square hole. From the images on iSoaker, it looks like the Tiger Shark has a circular pump rod, so it may be possible once you get the pump cap off. It may not too. I'd just suggest opening the whole gun to be on the safe side, with the hardest part of that being sliding off the pump cap.