any dutch sites?

General water gun discussion.
drakenparel

any dutch sites?

Post by drakenparel » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:27 pm

hi guys,

Any of u know any dutch sites of making ur own super soaker?
All answers are welcome :)

bye,
joris

XP270

Re: any dutch sites?

Post by XP270 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Welcome to SSC ! You can use the very nice Homeades section Ben made and take it to a translation site. Although PVC is expensive in Europe.
"I'll be shotgunning XP 310's when I should be shotgunning beers" -Duxburian

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:32 pm

From what I know not too many water gun sites have any information about building your own water guns. SSCentral is really the only site that contains detailed guides on this matter.

The APH guide is very detailed. In fact, it's mostly pictures. If you could get the parts, it should be easy enough to just look at the pictures and do what you see. If all else fails, an online translation service could help you get the gist of it too.
Last edited by Drenchenator on Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:50 pm

I've tried to link to every good known guide to building water guns on our homemade water guns section. There sadly aren't many guides and most of what's online is here.

I had considered making translations of pages here, but nothing ever came of that project. If you could translate some of our pages into Dutch that would be very helpful. However, from what I have been told, finding PVC for cheap in Europe is near impossible, so you have to use other materials. The most commonly used alternative material is copper. There are no guides to making copper water guns online at the moment, but if you follow the APH guide and substitute copper in where it says PVC. I don't know anything about welding copper, but I do intend to learn and make a guide to making copper water guns this summer.

Regardless, the sheer number of images in the APH guide (over 80 from what I remember) should give you a good idea of how to build alone. I have said this time and time again, but the only thing you really need is the diagram on the top of the construction page. That tells you which parts go where and it truly is all that is necessary.

At the moment it would be best to read what we have currently, translate what you think would be helpful, and maybe post the translation here to help the less fluent.

drakenparel

Post by drakenparel » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:33 am

hi,

I can speak english,
but its just that some of the objects (of pvc) ive never seen before.. i asked my dad to he never saw them before 2.. so thats why im asking for dutch sites ;)

EDIT :d ont worry about pvc its not very expensive at the netherlands ;)
and if price will higher i just make one of copper :)
Last edited by drakenparel on Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:17 pm

I understand completely. I speak Spanish pretty well but I don't have a clue about any technical subjects in Spanish.

If you want to learn the names of the parts, visit McMaster-Carr and click on "Pipe Fittings and Pipe" (first link at the top left) and then "Plastic Pipe Fittings and Pipe" at the bottom (direct link). A page should come up with nice pictures to go along with each kind of part, though their uses may not be too obvious. This page on our site also has pictures of the parts in question.

Still, I'll run through the basics anyway for you. Elbows, tees, crosses, wyes, and couplers are all fittings that join two or more pipes together in the arrangement that the fitting is in. An end cap or plug just closes off the end of the pipe.

A male fitting is one that sticks out and plugs into another fitting. A female fitting is one that gets plugged into. Many fittings have a male side and a female side, and some are male and male and others are female and female.

Threaded fittings and pipe have pipe thread so that a male fitting can be screwed into a female one. Unthreaded pipe is smooth so that a male fitting can just fit into a female fitting.

Bushings, adapters, and reducers let you attach one size of pipe to another different size. A bushing's smaller pipe size is female; its larger pipe size is male. An adapter's smaller pipe size is male; its larger pipe size is female.

Pipe nipple is pipe threaded on both ends.

For an explanation of the different kinds of firing or trigger valves, read this article. A firing valve or trigger valve is basically an on/off switch for the flow. If the valves open, water goes through; if it's closed, the water goes nowhere.

You'll run into the term "check valve" a lot as well. A check valve is a valve that only allows water to flow through in one direction. It makes it so that a gun's pump builds pressure in the chamber.

Solvent welding or PVC cementing refer to the same thing. Both are the method we use to join PVC pipe together with the fittings. PVC primer is a cleaner that you have to use before joining the pipes together. Think of PVC cement as a glue, though it's not really.

An O-ring is a little rubber circle. We use these as seals in the pump so that water doesn't leak out.

Teflon tape is a tape you use to seal threaded pipe together. If you don't use it, water will leak out regardless of how tight you turn it.

Understandably, you don't run into these things in everyday life, so you don't know what they are. If you need an explanation into another part, don't hesitate to ask.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:37 pm

PVC isn't the material of choice in Europe. I've been told that copper pipe is more common, but since I don't live there I can't be sure completely. Copper pipe is definitely more common in England. I mentioned this on the front page of the APH guide too, but maybe I should mention it elsewhere as well.