New CPS 3000 broken Trigger

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
ZTrooper

New CPS 3000 broken Trigger

Post by ZTrooper » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:38 am

Just got it out of the box, will pump fine, takes in water OK. Squeeze the trigger, nothing. I undid the numerous screws on the device, but couldn't get the nozzle selector off. I opened the bottom op and observed that a large, bent wire on the front end of the gun was not attached to anything any more. There was a small bit of orange plastic on the end of the wire down by where the trigger is, and it appears to be the same color orange as the plastic. I was able to tug on the wire, and get it to release all the pressure, but I've definitely got a broken gun, which is irritating as I bought it new, sealed in the box off ebay some time ago.

Are there any resources I can turn to in order to get the gun apart without destroying it, and get the trigger assembly working again? Thanks!

ZTrooper
cbiro@wideopenwest.com

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:01 pm

There should be a screw in the centre of the selector holding it on.

Remove this screw, and then the removed selector should reveal a couple more screws. Remove these and open the case.

If you can, pictures would be nice.

There is a modification that can be done to the CPS 3000/3200 that means that you can use the soaker even if the trigger is broken. If you would like to know, then ask.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

ZTrooper

Post by ZTrooper » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:56 pm

Sounds interesting. I'd like to know what the mod is. I'll get some pictures up once I get a chance to sit down with the gun and really get a good look at what's inside. Depending on how broken the trigger plastic piece is, I might try a little JB weld to get things working properly again.

As far as getting the halves of the gun apart, there appear to be a couple places where the plastic was glued together, (so it's not just held together with screws). Is there a way to separate the two halves without major trauma to the surrounding plastic?

Are there any online and/or visual guides to taking the gun apart? I'd like to keep the gun in as nice a condition as possible. There also is a ring of plastic on the back, where the hose from the backpack plugs into the base of the gun. Is there an effective means to get that off without cracking it? Thanks again!

-Cj

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:13 pm

This sounds a lot like what's happening with my CPS 4100. The irrating red pump cap has been glued on, and the screw for the nozzle selector is on so tight that I can't remove it with a screwdriver. I will user an electric drill on reverse with a Philips head to hopefully get the screw off, but if I overtorque it and the bit pops out, then the screw head will likely be messed up forever. Oh well...

Thank goodness you can tug on the wire to fire or release the pressure in another way; otherwise, the CPS bladder would be constantly losing strength before the repair is complete. There is probably a specific article in the repairs page at SSC--there are several trigger and trigger valve repairs, but I don't know if this is one of them. Chances are that it is, though, and I'll get a hyperlink if you want it.

ZTrooper

Post by ZTrooper » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:35 pm

Well, I saw a link to a CPS 4100 repair. the trigger assembly looks similar to the trigger part on the 3000. However, the 4100 repair guide shows a small, long piece of plastic that sticks out in front of the trigger with a small hole on the end to connect the wire to. On my 3000, that little end bit with the hole is on the end of the wire, and I cannot find that long, thin piece. I suspect it's somewhere inside the gun, unless the design of the trigger piece is radically altered.

At this point, I need to figure out how to get the gun open without really damaging the plastic housing. After that, I can figure out how to get the trigger fixed, and go from there.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:29 am

Basically, the mod is removing the clear side panels.

It looks quite cool, reduces weight, and you can reach the trigger mech to open it manually if needs be.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston