Viruses...

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:57 pm

Heya all,

Our downstairs computer just got hit with a trojan called Cydoor, but thank goodness my dad is a computer person, We went and deleted the .dll, .mst and registry keys. Anyone else get hit by a virus before? It's really annoying.

Curse whoever made Cydoor!
I don't check this forum anymore.

superstormer

Post by superstormer » Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:10 pm

Man whoever makes viruses is just some lonely guy who has no life and just has nothing better to do than make viruses. My computer's been keylogged before and it got MSBlast once. It's also had a few trojans.

Why are they called Trojans?
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Socrates)</div><div class='quotemain'>I drank what?!</div>

Hyper_9

Post by Hyper_9 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:37 pm

Originally posted by superstormer@Jun 29 2004, 06:10 AM

Why are they called Trojans?
Because they allow a hacker to remote excute commands using the trojan. Its giving a hacker total access to your computer, similar to bringing a army straight into the heart of (Troy, was it? I forget.)

Also, last and only REAL one I got hit with was Klez. Really fudged me up... In the end, after (almost) finshing the restore process, it caused the Startup BSOD ala Protection fault. Had to reinstall windows over existing install - kept my files, but lost all program access. And, at that time, we had to drop our net access. Therefore, it ****ed me up bad. It also had to trash a few files with serious klez in em in teh process..... Lost some of the best RA2 mods and could never find em again... least in PROPER form....
Offical DMOZ Editor of "Recreation: Guns: Toy: Water Guns"
Soak On
HYPERACTIVE 4 EVER!

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:39 pm

My new computer got loaded with tons of adware, which is basically a companies' way of hacking your computer. What they do is keylog your internet movements, and after a while of monitoring your internet movements, they attack your computer with constant pop-ups and even change your homepage (the page that shows up when you first go onto the internet). Spyware is worse, because it's one creepy person, and not a big company. Adware can also open your connection to other viruses and XPBackfire-esque. It happened to my new computer once, because of Kazaa, but now we have a firewall router, and only one account on our comp is and admin (we normally never use it for the internet). We have never had the same problem since then.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:14 pm

I use two great programs to remove the spy and ad-ware from my computer, Ad-Aware and Spybot Search And Destroy. Ad-Aware gets, well, adware, and Spybot: S&D gets spyware. both are free.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:33 pm

Trojans are called trojans because of the story of the Trojan horse. The Trojans offered some other antient culture a giant horse as a gift in a war. It turned out to be a trick. That's why they are called Trojans, you think they are something different than what they are.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:32 pm

They are called trojans, because they hide a virus or some spyware inside some innocent looking file that you download. It waits until it inside your computer and then all Hasbro HQ breaks loose.

its basically a trojan because it hides like those guys in the story about the trojan horse.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:36 pm

Very very sorry about the doulbe post

the spyware search and destroy contains spyware inside itself...Don't DOWNLOAD IT... the only place the program doesn't search and destroy is inside the computer itself! Don't DOWNLOAD IT !

Again very very sorry for the double post, but I thought that was important
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Hyper_9

Post by Hyper_9 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:32 am

Originally posted by Commander_Gaunt@Jun 29 2004, 12:36 PM
Very very sorry about the doulbe post

the spyware search and destroy contains spyware inside itself...Don't DOWNLOAD IT... the only place the program doesn't search and destroy is inside the computer itself! Don't DOWNLOAD IT !

Again very very sorry for the double post, but I thought that was important
A. And you got this information where?
B. Theres a magic thing to edit you posts and keep from double posting. Its called the edit button. It looks something like this. Image
Offical DMOZ Editor of "Recreation: Guns: Toy: Water Guns"
Soak On
HYPERACTIVE 4 EVER!

pyro

Post by pyro » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:40 am

My dad is a computer man and he says there is nothing wrong with search&destroy.Where diddddd you get this info. Anyway I Don't have to worry about it cause I use Nod and somekind of firewall. Hehe.

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Wed Jun 30, 2004 1:57 am

we scan for spyware all the time, but on linux it's not much of a problem :Hey, that's funny.: the only actual virus my family has ever been infected with is goner, my mom got it because her entire office did, but they failed to call and warn her (she was working at home at the time). we run norton 2004 pro with the latest defs and the latest version of spybot with the latest defs. but as I said, when I'm on linux, it's not much of a problem. for a firewall, we have a linksys befsr41 wired router.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:56 pm

Originally posted by Commander_Gaunt@Jun 29 2004, 03:36 PM

I HIGHLY doubt it, I searched through all the files, including IN the files, there is nothing spyware-ish in it.

USSA

Post by USSA » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:04 pm

mind u they say that spybot search and destroy is easy to hack but hy I'm a privacy freak... and virueses don't make me that crazy. I mean I have 4 soon to be 5/6 computers in my room. The chance of them all going down is slim to none. If I get hit with a virus... (almost never because I monitor and scan everything) I just wipe the comp and for that d ay simply use my other comps. (then again I got a really bad one once that I had to contact a computer tecnition for.... long story I'm not going there

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:57 pm

Myabe it's the vendor you downloaded it from. ONLY download things from the actual company page and/or a trusted vendor
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Wed Jun 30, 2004 9:11 pm

maybe it was the vendor. however there is a massive surge of spyware placed in search and destroy and similar programs, because hackers realised that the programs didn't actually check within the program itself.