Nerf gun smells after paintjob

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
strato_2r5

Nerf gun smells after paintjob

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:37 am

Last week I painted my Nerf Alpha Trooper with a base coat of Krylon Fusion Silk Black and a layer of Krylon (regular) Silk Oxford Blue. After four hours I kept the gun in my room, and soon it was filled with the smell of spray paint. I aired out my room and kept the blaster in my garage. Currently I am leaving it outside for the day and bringing it back to the garage for night. It still smells though. Is there anything I can do?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

C-A_99

Re: Nerf gun smells after paintjob

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 am

Leave your windows open, blast fans, and never leave anything that leaves fumes while drying sitting in a closed space ever again. This applies to any kind of paint, stronger epoxies (though not a bad idea with any kind of epoxy), PVC primer and cement, etc. And wear a mask particularly while working. Use rubber gloves for these items too.

Chemical vapors are bad stuff. Overexposure may lead to dizziness, lung damage, etc. I myself have gotten lazy too many times and not worn a mask while epoxying but instead simply trying to avoid the fumes while working. Bad idea.

Can never be too safe with this sort of thing.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:17 am

Yeah, I solved the room problem but the gun itself still smells. Anything I could do for the gun?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:39 am

Since you just painted it, you have to wait for the paint to just release its chemical odors.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:54 am

Actually it's been a week but I'm only airing it out now.