Book Discussion

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
MilkMan

Book Discussion

Post by MilkMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:15 pm

Well I've decided to make a thread dedicated to literature. Post your favorite book, recent books you've read, or anything of that matter.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:59 pm

I have been reading "The Odyssey", but I plan to read The Halo Trilogy again just for the heck of it. I don't have a favorite book, or atleast I can't think of one at the moment.

newb

Post by newb » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:02 am

I' ve read "The Art Of War", and its a good book. Any more needs to be said?

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:09 am

I just finished reeding The Catcher in the Rye in my honors English class (Freshman Year). It was a great book. I've also read all the Harry Potter books if any reads them.
"Anything with a nozzle and a pump is good enough for me." <--------------- Same lying signature 3 years and counting!

DX

Post by DX » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:07 am

My favorite book is either The Killer Angels [about the Battle of Gettysburg] or Isaac's Storm [about the Galveston Hurricane of 1900]. The Perfect Storm and Into Thin Air were also great reads if you like historical novels/non-fiction.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:18 am

I just read catcher, it was ok. I didn't want to get into it because, well, it's an english book and I refuse to read english books. You can't force someone to read or learn something that they don't want.

My favorite book of all time is The Da Vinci Code. Yes, I know a lot of christians think the book is a load of crap, but the plot and the way it was written just made it very enjoyable to read.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:51 am

My favourite authors include the English comic greats of PG Wodehouse (that includes Jeeves and Wooster if you're wondering) and Evelyn Waugh. For adventure, John Buchan (e.g. The Thirty-Nine Steps).

Then there are a lot of other books I enjoy, such as The Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy and a fair few French comic strips, including the unbeatable Tintin.

EDIT: nice thread idea by the way! Will sticky it.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Soaker Leader

Post by Soaker Leader » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:03 am

Crashdummy wrote:I have been reading "The Odyssey", but I plan to read The Halo Trilogy again just for the heck of it. I don't have a favorite book, or atleast I can't think of one at the moment.

The Halo Trilogy is my all time favorite books. I like The fall of Reach the most. The first Halo game makes a lot more sence if you read the first book of the trilogy, then play the game. I just finnished reading them for the 2nd time, and I think I know where Dr. Hasely went with Kelly in the last book ;) .

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:05 pm

I am currently reading the 1000 and something page A+ Cerification book so I can get certified to repair PCs.

Shows the 1337 hax0r in me. ;)
I don't check this forum anymore.

MilkMan

Post by MilkMan » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:22 pm

I'm really into the Stephen King book The TommyKnockers right now. I've had it for about 5 days now and am on page 280. I'm definetly going to read more of Stephen King after this, it's a great book. Very scary.

kylemw9

Post by kylemw9 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:47 am

NiborDude wrote: My favorite book of all time is The Da Vinci Code. Yes, I know a lot of christians think the book is a load of crap, but the plot and the way it was written just made it very enjoyable to read.
I'm a christian and it's really just someones idea they made up I didn't ever get why there was so much fuss about it its a fitional book it always was why does it matter . back on topic I read hoot it was pretty good i'm waiting for the movie. i've also read all the harry potter books from one to six.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:23 am

I've read quite a lot of great books recently in school, but they're all excellent for anyone. First is Ordinary People by Judith Guest. It's about a boy who blames himself for his older "perfect" brother's death in a sailing accident, and the book is about how he pieces his life back together after attempting suicide. Second up is Rebecca, written by Daphne DuMaurier. It's a bit girly but its really well written and its pretty weird and creepy at some parts. Last is The Power Of One, written by Bryce Coutennay. It's about a young english boy being born in South Africa and having to deal with the hardships of being hated by the Boers that live there and encounters racism, clashes of religions, and boxing. He aspires to become a welterweight boxer, and it follows his life from being 5 years old to when hes 17. It's a long one, but I thought it was the best one of the three.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups