Really Compact APH

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.

Should I change this to CPS?

Yes
40%
No
60%

Total votes: 5

strato_2r5

Really Compact APH

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:28 pm

Hi guys, I'm new to the homemade world and I'm thinking of making an APH. The ones on this site are really bulky and I'm thinking of making this Shotblast sized. Any tips for a trigger? And is the Pressure chamber big enough? Here's my design for it.
Attachments
Water Gun.png
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

soakernerd

Re: Really Compact APH

Post by soakernerd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:19 am

That would work....sort of. You really need a large PC for good performance
The real problem in most homemades isn't their size, but their ergonomics. It is very hard to create a good trigger for a APH.
I am currently working on a similar project:The valve from that design does not work. I will be using something like a PVAT, but housed in the Tee like the original design.
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:31 am

That would not work - there's no pressure chamber. As it is, it might squirt out a little water for a moment... but it really isn't going to do anything without a PC.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:31 am

Not going to work very well. Remember in the pressure chamber the air always sits above the water. As soon as you tilt the blaster upwards - which you have to for best range - the air is right against the firing valve, and when you shoot you'll just shoot air.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:04 am

cantab wrote:Not going to work very well. Remember in the pressure chamber the air always sits above the water. As soon as you tilt the blaster upwards - which you have to for best range - the air is right against the firing valve, and when you shoot you'll just shoot air.
Would adding two more bends in the pressure chamber fix that problem? The top pipe would bend down towards the pump then forwards, creating an S-shape. Would that solve that air problem?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:25 am

Soakernerd, you didnt even reference my thread?

Back on topic, it would somewhatly, not really. it would only fire flat, and if you angled it, the air would bubble out like in the original design. Slower, but it would.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:00 pm

oops. Couldn't remember who posted that. Sorry.
Credit to mysterio for suggesting the PVAT as a firing mechanism.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:44 pm

mysterio wrote:Soakernerd, you didnt even reference my thread?

Back on topic, it would somewhatly, not really. it would only fire flat, and if you angled it, the air would bubble out like in the original design. Slower, but it would.
So how could I fix that?

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:19 am

Add a pressure chamber. A vertical length of pipe is really needed for it to perform well.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 am

Attached is a possible layout for the pressure chamber and nozzle section. This is probably the most compact feasible layout, however it will sacrifice performance compared to the more usual vertical design.

The pressure chamber - the uppermost pipe - should be as large a diameter as you consider practical. The barrel - the lower pipe - should be large diameter for performance, but small in volume to reduce "dead space" (water that cannot be fired). So its diameter is a compromise. You could shorten it, having the pressure chamber protrude further forward than the nozzle.
Attachments
PC_and_nozzle.png
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:43 am

Thank you cantab. I'll try that once I get the materials. Any tips for a trigger mechanism?

mysterio

Post by mysterio » Sat Mar 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Build the PVAT that soakernerd mentioned in the thread earlier. It should work out okay, as long as its a tee.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:58 pm

If you really need the compact design, I'd have to seriously recommend making a CPH or APH pressurized reservoir design instead. Even if you have a backpack, an APH can still get large quite easily as a lot of volume is needed to store the air.

A PRH (pressurized res homemade) would be easier to build and may not perform as well as a standard APH. For a CPH, you can nest the bladder into the reservoir and keep it fairly small. No one has actually done it before, but it doesn't seem to be difficult to do if your reservoir design allows for it.

Edit: soakernerd's correct on that, my bad.
Last edited by C-A_99 on Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:16 pm

I think JLspacemarine's CPH had and internal res/PC.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:03 am

How do I stop my resovoir from caving in when pumping? And mysterio, would you please draw a design showing how to attach the PVAT?