Electrolysis...

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:57 pm

I've read several places that when an electrical current is applied to water, oxygen and hydrogen form on the ends of the wire. Would it be possible to use this as a pressurizing system for small water guns (such as the XP215)?
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:43 am

yes, I once did an experiment with eletrolsis, though it would be a means of pumpless pressurization, it would be slow.

Dark Elite

Post by Dark Elite » Sun Apr 03, 2005 2:58 pm

Although it may seem like a good idea, getting it to work effectively may be difficult, and it would be impractical most of the time. However, it is worth trying out so we know.
Visit <span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Sam's Supercars

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color :o range'><span style='font-family:Arial'><u>My Weaponry</u>
CPS2100 (Thank You King Soaker&#33 ;)
1 Liquidator/Pressurizer
1 Max-D 6000
1 XP310 w/my own power mod and 8 balloon XPS mod
2 piston-pistols (backup)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:22 pm

Remember KISS? Keep it simple stupid!

Just because something can create pressure, doesn't mean it is practical. Electrolysis would require a ton of power and time to create adequate pressure.

I also doubt much pressure will be created if any because as the oxygen and hydrogen are released, the water disappears. You are only breaking apart the water into other parts, not adding a gas.

Try electric or gas powered pumps if you want a better way to get pressure through electricity.

CPS

Post by CPS » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:07 am

if you want a PRACTICAL way to generate pressure scientificaly you need:

a heartburn tablet
a soaker WITHOUT a separate pressue chamber

how to: plop the tablet in the soaker that has been filled, the tablet will react with the water and start to fizz, thus generating pressure

pros: lessens need for pumping would work great on xp215

cons: only works on single chamber guns, make your opponent smell like citrus acid

BTW: the more tablet/s you put in the faster it will work, and the less the overall 'fizz' will be, may depentd on battle, for an endurance battle use less tablet/s for a faster battle use more.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:31 am

Originally posted by Doom@Apr 3 2005, 02:22 PM
Remember KISS? Keep it simple stupid!

Just because something can create pressure, doesn't mean it is practical. Electrolysis would require a ton of power and time to create adequate pressure.

I also doubt much pressure will be created if any because as the oxygen and hydrogen are released, the water disappears. You are only breaking apart the water into other parts, not adding a gas.

Try electric or gas powered pumps if you want a better way to get pressure through electricity.
[snapback]23491[/snapback]

I don't really think that he was suggesting this as a way to practicaly pressurize a water blaster but merely as an innovative way of looking ay various ways of pressurization. And as far as simple goes, am I the only one who thinks that running electricity through a wire is simpler than havine a pump, pump shaft, o-ring (or some other form of) seal, various check valves, a pressure chamber of some sort ( in the case of non PR guns)?
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:52 pm

CPS, when are you going to start using the spell check?

There is also a difference between practical and easy. Practical would mean that a pressurization method is not only convenient but pressurizes well (meaning it quickly gets high pressure).

Electrolysis may be simple when you do it (I've done tons of little experiments with Electrolysis myself - try it with some salt water and you'll get some acid I can't remember at the moment). However, I don't expect anyone who is using Electrolysis to get good pressure even after days of pressurization.

As I mentioned before, there's ways of automatic pressurization that are way better than these "cheap solution" types that seem to be so common. Just go use them if you really don't want to be disappointed.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 2:44 pm

someone could try dry ice....have a thing you pull that puts dry ice in the chamber...as far as I know when dry ice comes into contact with water...it expands rapidly...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:33 pm

Shadowstalker thought of that once before. The problem is, dry ice makes way more pressure than you need (like 500 to 900 psi +). It would be just plain dangerous and in my opinion a waste of dry ice.

I remember a website where a guy used dry ice to test how much pressure a pipe could hold. I can't find the URL at the moment, but on the site he supposedly ran away to a safe distance to prevent anything bad from occurring (this was with a steel pipe as well).

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:43 pm

maybe not use too much dry ice....it might be possible to use in a water mine....
use the expansion of gas to push the water out...

vaporizer28

Post by vaporizer28 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:24 pm

Why not just pump your gun?

^This was made by Superstormer. What, do you think it got here on its own?

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:34 pm

Originally posted by vaporizer28@Apr 9 2005, 04:24 PM
Why not just pump your gun?
[snapback]23643[/snapback]

Ditto. I find new ways of pressurization interesting yet the current system works fine. Research until we can find something that works effeciently better. Electrolysis is a novel idea though.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

CPS

Post by CPS » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:58 pm

talking about no pumping, didn't those old water guns( before super soakers) use batteries? :huh:

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:09 pm

yea...funny...maybe a battery pump...

perilous1

Post by perilous1 » Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:08 am

ELECTROLYSIS!

THAT IS NO A GOOD IDEA!

EDIT by Spinner: This is spam, please don't make posts like this that just state the obvious by now.