Homemade water gun class

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
SSCBen

Homemade water gun class

Post by SSCBen » Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:48 pm

Found this link: http://consider.k-state.edu/majorslist/hightech.htm

Scroll down to read this quoted paragraph.
Current Topics in Chemical Engineering

The Nerf water guns of your childhood days have nothing on these guys! If you take this class you'll get to design, build, and test homemade water guns. The competition is judged on best water gun design, water gun with the most aesthetic appeal, and water gun that shoots furthest. With the winning gun spraying almost 49 feet it sounds more like a fire hose than a water gun.
A whole 49 feet? Wow. Those guys must be some real professionals or something.

Wait. I beat them by 50% and I don't even consider what I did to be hitting the limit. That and my water gun only has about 90% of the performance of a fire hose.

Still, this sounds like a real neat class. I'd love to take that, but it might just be that I'd like to take it because I'd be the master of water guns there. Too bad I don't live in Kansas and too bad I don't want to go to that college.

I looked for an email address to tell them a thing or two about water gun design, but I couldn't find anything helpful. I'll be looking through, because 49 feet isn't by any means a fire hose!
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I think Kansas and I write Ohio. Error corrected.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:51 pm

Wow...that's pretty sad. Wasn't there something once about a physics teacher using homemade water guns, in the mailbag or something?

Plus the course name deals with chemical engineering! And they call them Nerf water guns!

I presume that they just don't use good nozzles, along with other factors that you've pioneered like area and linear flow. Consider the fact that the best gun "sprayed" almost 49 feet (how close can they measure? And to the last drop?)...