Thunder Wars?

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
StormGlorious

Thunder Wars?

Post by StormGlorious » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:30 am

Hi I'm new here but not that new to water warfare.
A couple of years ago a group of me and my friends played laser tag. We really liked it but wanted to be able to play at home. Well.... My friend came up with this really gimpy name 'Thunder Wars', which has kind of stuck.

The rules basically work like this:

When one recieves a wet patch 12cm or more in diameter on any part of the body ( Not feet) they are out for the duration of the round.

To win the round your team must bring the opposing teams flag back to your own flag and hold it thier for 5 minutes.

The technology has now evolved from crappy squirt guns to cps guns Pgl's
with big portable fortifications called mantlets

Just wondering what you guys think.

P.s This is probobly not a very original concept but it was thought of before this wealth of soaking knowledge (SSCentral) was discovered

I forgot to mention that we use Super soakers instead of lasers. Hey, that's funny!
Last edited by StormGlorious on Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Re: Thunder Wars?

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:54 pm

So basically, it's just standard 1HK elimination with CTF right? Keep in mind that if the enemy team is eliminated, the other team wins, regardless of the flag. Also, holding it for 5 minutes seems long, I usually prefer to just have one person be holding both flags, one in each hand to count as a score. (In this case, we usually do simple respawning, where hit players go back to a spawn point at their base. Basically, they have infinate lives too)

Welcome to the forums.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Welcome to the forums, StormGlorious. :)

What type of environment do you play in - like a forest, more open, or in a suburban area? I also agree five minutes is a long time to hold the flag, but I guess it depends on the situation. And finally, how many people play?

It sounds like you guys are having a blast!

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:18 pm

To win the flag does not have to literally be held. Just in the base with your own flag.

<edit> C-a-99 WE have found that if you allow people to respawn you tend to end up with a game where people just charge in to combat because it doesn't matter if they get hit.
If they don't respawn then there is more ???tacticalness??? because if you lose team members in combat then they are out for the rest of the game

To silent Guy- The battlefield we use consists of a valley with a base constructed at both sides of the hill. (If you know what I mean)
There is lots of cover, both man-made and natural.
At the moment we have two teams: one team known as the 'Blood Dragons' which consists of four reletively elite members.
The other is the 'Dark Apostles' Which has nine decidedly average warriors

thanks for posting guys.
Last edited by StormGlorious on Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:09 am

Well if the spawn point is located far enough from the flag (we have it at the front door of the house, while the flag is near the back door), then getting killed will cause delay and problems when an enemy is taking a flag. With elimination, that can become the focus of the game because it may be easier to eliminate everyone than to try to take the flag. (though in many cases that's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're going for big, long CTF matches, elimination won't work, there has to be at least some kind of respawn mechanism)

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:18 am

Generally we try and have lots of games as opposed to just one long one.
But dont get me wrong we do play respawn games just not when we play Thunder Wars

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:33 am

Hi Guys,
I'm the friend that came up with the original concept of Thunderwars and runs the games. I'm getting close to finishing rulebook for the game. When it is finished, I'll see if I can send it to you guys at SSCentral.

Although we're quite new to the Soaker Republic, Thunderwars has been around for years. It's only recently that it's taken off. If you've wondering about the name, I just want you to know that it was created years ago and was based on the symbol. There have been a few attempts to change it. However, generally when there's a name it sticks.

Bye, From Australia.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:36 am

No it's called Dark Apostles

Just Correcting myself
Last edited by MarsGlorious on Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Confusion

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:01 am

Hello Guys,
Thunderwars has gone through many different rulebooks. We are currently working on Thunderwars Rulebook 5th Edition. Fortunately, this will probably be the last edition.

In the old rulebooks, battlefields were separated into 3 territories. Enemy, Neutral and Allied. It was opposite for the enemy. The spawn point was at each team's base in Allied territory.

If a member of that team was neutralized (Killed or Eliminated in Thunderwars), they would be out until the enemy players moved out of the territory. This solved the spawning problem but was scraped in later editions.

Bye, From Australia.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:31 am

Welcome aboard! It's nice to see so much enthusiasm for water wars, especially for a slightly less conventional format. My wars are actually the opposite - we do three hit kill with weaker guns. Obviously the effect is longer battles.

But perhaps the most telling difference is the number of people playing. I like to think you can afford to send people out for the rest of the round when there are plenty left to play. :p

Anyway, thanks for offering a copy of the rulebook! We're in the midst of a major website revamp, and the tactics section could certainly use a few newer articles and such.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:48 pm

Well Silent Guy,
The edition that I was referring to, didn't work out. It was actually quite a while ago and we didn't play anywhere near as often as we have lately. Those rules had problems (example: territory borders) that's why they were scraped.

Also, your concern about the number of players, is a problem. We currently have 14 possible players. But we generally only get 8 or 9. I suppose we have to meet more people and ask them if their interested. However, this touches on another problem. Land and Resources.

The games is generally played in backyards. You cannot keep run and jumping through backyards without causing damage and erosion. So we were hoping to take things out of the backyard and into larger battlefields. We currently have two possible battlefields. The Blood Peak and the Zodiac Plain. However, Then the resource problem kicks in. No taps, No proper shelter and little means of moving equipment and portable defence walls.

We need a place like Ridgewood. An area of Native Bushland and Taps. StormGlorious does have huge property that fits this description. Each player would have to be driven there though. We'll see.

And, by the way. The Rulebook should rather be called The Rules and Information Hand Book. It contain larger sections describing basic stream anatomy, techniques to determine if a player is neutralised and more.

Bye, From Australia (I'm not kidding Australia.)

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:57 am

Would any of you guys be interested the technology handbook I'm currently working on.

I've recently finished a homemade blaster with a design that as far as i can see is completely original I hope to post pictures soon.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm interested! Your homemade also sounds interesting, partly because you withheld details...I look forward to seeing pictures if you can get them up. :cool:

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:42 pm

Yeah StormGlorious,
you should take a picture of it and post it as an attachment rather than trying to draw it in paint.

It's actually a pretty cool gun and an original concept. :cool:

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:35 am

Mars and Silent guy today i went off exploring the abandoned timber farm near the mines.... i took tons of photos (it has the potential to be an amazing battlefield) however as a result i accidently deleted the photos of the homemade.
I am going camping for ten days so will be absent from the forums
not that that will actually have a big impact on any of you!

l.o.l