Minimum Temperature for a water war.

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
captianfear

Minimum Temperature for a water war.

Post by captianfear » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:51 pm

I have recreational inter-squad wars and I am hoping to start in may. I live in Eastern Ontario and I was just wondering what would be the lowest possible temperature to have a water war in you opinion. We would not want to be wearing warm clothes, It would have to be warm enough for shorts and bathing suits. I know it has to be sunny but I was wondering if something like 20 Degrees Celsius (68 F) would be a good minimum. I am just asking for insight.

Thanks,
Fear

martianshark

Re: Minimum Temperature for a water war.

Post by martianshark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:22 am

My minimum is 75 F. For very small skirmishes and Assasin games, my minimum is much less - about 65 F.

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm

Would your wars be when its sunny though or do you have wars when it is cloudy?

ncog

Post by ncog » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:14 pm

It all depends on other factors such as wind chill as well....When organising a daytime waterfight I generally shoot for at least 18 degrees (64.4F)...obviously something in the 20s is preferable but since you run a lot in a waterfight most people are fine if it's not too warm, as long as it's not raining and they don't stay in their wet clothes for too long after it finishes.

I've had two night waterfights, with a temperature of around 10 degrees (50 F) which was also fine....since everyone wears warm clothes and is running around it gets very warm very quickly in spite of getting wet.

For your specific situation fear, a minimum of 18 degrees (64.4 F) would be fine I'd say, that's about the temperature of my large waterfight a few months ago and was perfect. The hotter the better but you'll get away with 18 easily as long as the war is active (with lots of running) rather than slower with more hiding/waiting.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Good to see you around, Fear.

Our minimum temperature is generally 70° F, but we might be able to go down to 65° if it's night time and light soakers only. Temperature is the only factor regarded; we war just the same when it's a sun burning 95° and when there's a torrential downpour of rain. However, if there's a tornado or something we will definitely cancel.

This summer we'll be tinkering with nighttime wars which we haven't done yet. If it gets below 70° I may have to restrict to lower end water weaponry.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 pm

70 to 100, depending on the wind chill.
-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:20 pm

Air temperature alone is not the only factor. If it's sunny it will feel much warmer than if it's overcast. If it's windy it'll feel cold.

It depends on weaponry and rules. A CPS soakfest is only for warm weather. Play one-hit-kills with XP-class weaponry only (maximum about a 2-3x stream), and there's really no problem with battling in temperatures of 5-10 C (40-50 F).

However, in that case most people would be wearing jackets, unless it's a war that involves a lot of running, like say Capture The Flag on a large area. For what you describe, 20+ C would be ideal, but you could maybe go down to 15 C, provided it's sunny and calm.

Since weather forecasts everywhere suck, I would advise you use weaponry restrictions and favour OHK when appropriate. Probably better than cancelling.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

captianfear

Post by captianfear » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:24 pm

We were going to war today and its below 20 C right now but there wasn't enough interest. We were going to use small arms only.

DX

Post by DX » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:40 pm

Depends on ages too. Older participants tend to be more willing to play in lower temperatures. Waterbridge and the Ridgewood Militia set 50 degrees F as our threshold. In general, scoring and killing games work best at a lower temp, while soaking games tend to work better in high temps. You don't want to be soaked at 50 degrees, nor do you want to be running a tough, tactical battle at 100.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

steelboot

Post by steelboot » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:59 pm

I usually soak when the temperature is 15-20 degrees Celsius or higher, but it depends on interest. Most people, especially inexperienced players, will only really want to play in temperatures like 25 to 30 degrees Celsius.
steelboot pwns n00bs
If you have five dollars and steelboot has five dollars, steelboot has more money than you.
GOTTA SOAK 'EM ALL!

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:02 pm

I dare say tolerance depends on the weather you expect. Live in California or Australia and there's no problem refusing to play when it's below 25 C or cloudy. Live in England or Canada waiting for such weather means you'll hardly ever play.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Comrade117

Post by Comrade117 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:36 am

Well, I play when it is 20-35 C. Temperature here is not a problem, but wind is. When it is not windy here, temperature is usually from 20 to 35 C.