go giants

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
Specter

go giants

Post by Specter » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:45 am

super bowl 42. Go Giants!!!
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Re: go giants

Post by SSCBen » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:27 am

The Giants won in what could be the biggest upset in Super Bowl history...

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:59 am

It was a good game, and I knew they'd come through. I'm not really a fan of them but I dislike Boston.

Now to wait for DX to log on. :D

DX

Post by DX » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:34 am

WELL

I could go on some long rant, however, the New England team I saw playing in that game didn't look like it was playing to win. You could see it in the Giants, they WANTED that win. The stats and odds didn't apply, which isn't surprising to me given the nature of big upsets. What surprises me is why the Patriots couldn't do anything with the momentum they created or were handed. If you get a miracle situation, like the 12 men on the field penalty, that creates a sudden shift in momentum, a reverse.

You ride that reverse and put the football in the end zone! You can't come away with nothing. The call to go for 4th down was sketchy. In such a close game at that point in time, you don't need to. Kick the 49 yarder, it was realistically in range. Now I know that's hindsight, but even still, in a close defense-dominated game, with a struggling offense, you take any points you can get.

Now I know I might lose you if I try to compare real life to water warfare, but I'm completely puzzled as to why the Pats were unable to counter effectively. If the opponent has major energy pouring through and flowing in their pass rush, you've GOT to counter it. You've got to match them in your pocket protection and raise your efforts higher than they. If they've got fire in their eyes, you'd better get some too, or don't even bother showing up. The Patriots defense was perfectly capable of holding off the pass rush. Both teams were initially capable of defeating each other and being better in any aspect.

Thing is, I still don't fully understand how things like momentum work or what they really "are". The Pats couldn't hold onto any sort of momentum until deep into the 4th quarter. Why? How does one "use" momentum and prolong its effectiveness? And why does it suddenly shift? Why does it sometimes deny you the ability to wield it and/or control it for a certain length of time? I just don't get it. It's some form of energy, yet it kinda has a mind of its own.

Then again, if someone knew how such things work, it would be pointless to try and play against them, now wouldn't it?

Wow I don't think this was the response you were expecting, ROTFL.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:16 pm

DX wrote:Wow I don't think this was the response you were expecting, ROTFL.
I'm not sure what I was expecting as a response, but I agree with you. The Giants wanted the win and they got it. They just attacked Brady with more ferocity and conviction than you may have thought possible. The five sacks weren't results of a single lineman or linebacker getting through; it was two or three linemen tearing apart the Pats' offensive line. A tidal wave, if you will.

I honestly didn't see that coming from the Patriots' defense. Where were the blitzes? Apparently there were two in the entire game, but I must have missed them.

The Giants were rollicking on offense, too. I was somewhat scared to see Eli Manning attempt all sorts of close plays, but that's what it takes to win. When you have nothing to lose, you may as well take chances. Manning shot a few bullets to get those first downs, which isn't very safe.

I'm not very hopeful for next year though. All my favorite NFL teams are terrible right now, and UVA's looking even bleaker. Senior Chris Long (star defensive lineman) is leaving, junior Jeffrey Fitzgerald (main linebacker) is entering the draft early, sophomore Jameel Sewell (starting quarterback) got kicked out along with a few others... :p

EDIT: I must say a couple Pats did put up remarkable performances. Wes Welker got some impressive running with the ball, and Laurence Maroney was as physical as ever. But the defense was overpowering, plus the Giants got lucky a few times. Manning even got out of a couple of sacks, Big Ben-style.
Last edited by Silence on Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:00 am

That last almost-sack should have ended the game. I don't know how Eli got out of that one AND completed a long pass.

Next year still looks good. New England teams are going strong, even with this historic upset. We ALMOST got another regional dominance display with the World Series and Super Bowl.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!