Spring powerd WBL?

Threads related to water balloon launchers.
dutchguy

Spring powerd WBL?

Post by dutchguy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Would it be an idea to make a spring powered WBL?
With as a posability an electric motor that slowly pulls the valve back again?
It's just an idea, and i don't knom much abodut them(don't have one or builded one).

Silence

Re: Spring powerd WBL?

Post by Silence » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:20 pm

People usually give up on large spring-powered concepts because strong springs weigh too much.

dutchguy

Post by dutchguy » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:34 am

I don't mean big ones!
The idea was you could stil use them when someone is 10 m away.
so not like an artillery based one, more like a rifle. and, i think it could still be able to have better range then most soakers.

You could now say that you could also throw them then, but, that is less accurate.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:34 pm

I thought I posted here already. Stupid broken wifi. :-@

It should be entirely possible. I can think of a few possible designs.

A catapult or speargun design, using extension springs instead of elastic. Hard to see any reason it would be better than elastic, but possible.

A crossbow design. The bow is technically a spring, though I guess it's not what you had in mind.

A cannon design, with a compression spring. You could have the bomb pushed directly by the spring, or you could use a design like an air gun, with a piston on the spring and an air space between it and the projectile.

In any design, you need to bear in mind that water bombs can only take so much acceleration before they burst. Thus, you need to use long soft springs, not short stiff ones.

An electric motor driving a winch would work, but to get a decent reload speed needs a big motor and battery. You'd probably be better with muscle power.

The drawback of springs is the weight. The advantages may be a possibly faster reload. For smaller weapons, a simple lever might be able to do the job, in a single arm motion, compared to the many pumps a pneumatic launcher needs. For larger weapons, a winch can be cranked continuously, compared to the intermittent nature of manual pumping.

If you want to make something rifle sized...that may get tricky. To actually gain an advantage over blasters won't be easy. You'd really want a semi-automatic weapon, and that gets complicated.

Bear in mind none of these ideas have been tested to my knowledge. There is no reason why they shouldn't WORK, but there may be reasons they don't work as well as pneumatic designs.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

supersoakerman

Post by supersoakerman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:22 am

Firstly hi! first post can someone direct me to a thread that tells me ho to make a WLB?

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:49 pm

We have several guides at the bottom of the Homemades page on the website itself. I don't think any threads on the forum say anything past what these guides say, so check out the guides first.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.