6" water cannon :D

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
adronl

6" water cannon :D

Post by adronl » Wed May 13, 2009 9:26 pm

Well the parts have arrived for the 6" water cannon and for a couple of other piston guns.

I am going to leave the exiting pipe at 2 1/2 co it will be compatible with the 2 1/2" nozzle that McMaster Carr offer. For now I will be using the same 1 1/2 nozzle that the SuperCannon2 had. Have any thoughts or excitement on this?

Edit. The 2 1/2" ball valve was tough to operate probably would loosened after a couple of shots but it cost 28bucks as opposed to $8 for 1 1/2 I am having some regrets maybe I should have used a 2 at least to try and get more distance. I mean it still has quit a volume advantage over the SuperCannon2 but I think it needs a power advantage too :D

Ok that's it I have to go back. I just called and the 2" is only 10$ I am happy but annoyed I have to go back
Last edited by adronl on Mon May 18, 2009 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

adronl

Re: 6" water cannon :D

Post by adronl » Thu May 14, 2009 9:52 pm

adronl

Post by adronl » Thu May 14, 2009 9:56 pm

Here are all the parts and pieces for 5 more guns including the 6" water cannon I was talking about

Sorry for posting the text separately the pictures are so large you would have to scroll sideways to read

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:23 pm

6" is, simply put, ginormous and I highly doubt you can find pressurated ones at that size. If its not pressure rated, you can only use it for holding water or as a WBL barrel. (though you'd have to be pretty crazy to be launching 6" water balloons) Try to find 5" or 4" pipe thats pressure rated instead; using non-rated pipe for pressure applications is too unsafe.

Performance wise, I don't think you'll be able to get much more than the SCII. There seems to be limits to these things, at least to how practical they are. After all, every slight diameter increase means an exponential increase in pipe and material needed for just a little range boost.

Edit: Oops, see below. I can't really see the markings on the pipe clearly anyway. (except for the one that appears to be for 3" pipe)
Last edited by C-A_99 on Fri May 15, 2009 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Oops. My bad, I was wrong!. It is pressure rated, 180psi at 73 °F. It was actually posted elsewhere, pipe can be 'DWV' and pressure rated.

I agree on performance. This is going to be a beast, and quite probably output could be insanely high. However, I don't expect much range boost compared to SCII.

Of course an alternative way of doing it is to have the same nozzle that SCII uses, giving similar range and output, but over twice the shot time, without making the gun overlong.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri May 15, 2009 12:29 am

It seems that you'll want at least 1/2" for the nozzle given the size of the valve and pipe you're using. 1" seems to be good for a large nozzle and a large blast, though 3/4" is probably a little easier for it to shoot.

Due to the lower pressure rating, you may have to keep this below 80 PSI. The rating is, of course, for water instead of air, which will put further restrictions on air. It seems that a higher PSI would be more ideal for large diameter applications, but at least theres a ton of air volme.

Good luck with this project.

adronl

Post by adronl » Fri May 15, 2009 12:32 am

Well guess what The nozzle Is the exact same as the SCII but the ball valve is a 2" I think Ben used a 1 1/2 so there is the extra power :D

The max PSI will be 150 that is the max safe operating level of the schrader valve. all the pipes and fittings are rated over 180psi

The capacity of the tank is 5.87 US gallons I wanted the 2 1/2 threaded nozzle that was bigger but it cost almost ten times as much as the 1 1/2
Last edited by adronl on Fri May 15, 2009 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 am

I'm looking forward to the results. This is something I've wanted to try for a while. It's about time someone got around to it.

The 2 inch valve will not increase performance with the fire hose nozzle. The bottleneck is the nozzle; the valve leading up to it is essentially irrelevant as long as it's larger than the nozzle and has good flow characteristics.

If you're going for a riot blast however, you'll definitely see increased performance. Be aware that the recoil will be extremely high. There is little difference between a water rocket and a water gun. I'd suggest testing riot blasts at low pressures and increasing the pressure by 10 psi or so at a time to see where the recoil gets too high.

Let me reiterate about pressure rated fittings. The one that you wrote "I'm rated" on is definitely not rated. The short sockets are a dead giveaway and it's shaped like a DWV fitting too (see Spudfiles on this subject and please DO read this page if you have no already). Do not use that one under pressure. The short socket fittings are especially dangerous because the fittings will fly off.

adronl

Post by adronl » Fri May 15, 2009 10:58 pm

You are right that one piece is not pressure rated if it was it would hold 280psi or above but it is not. If you read closely it says I'm rated 200 psi even though not pressure. I read your pressure pipe guide.

People assume that dwv is not pressure rated at all, well read the guide some more there is dwv rated for pressure but be careful when buying ask to see the computer's data on the piece and make sure the NSF or other rating is correct..
Last edited by adronl on Sun May 17, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun May 17, 2009 6:18 pm

So we built the giant beast and test fired it. It was awesome in fact when we shot a riot blast it hit a car in the parking lot and it set off the alarm LOL. :eek: Also we had the gun propped up and I mounted it to keep it from taking off it kicks like a mule :D

Any way there were 2 problems though I had a tiny leak on the top 6" fitting from putting the piston in I guess. I had taken the thing inside and scrubbed it not once but twice with soap and very hot water I guess I could have washed more, maybe used a light solvent, or used some more glue IDK it doesn't matter now it can be fixed. The other problem is unlike 4" piston gun you need to make the piston a lot more solid than in the SCII construction. The piston did not fail but it is not working perfectly I have a way to fix this too of course.

So the gun is functioning great but needs some minor repair and modification. All I have to do is get some acrylic caulk or some marine epoxy and a 6" coupling I have to cut it open reseal take out the piston and modify it.

Oh yeah we haven't done a full power test yet due to the problems. Soon well have to bust out a long tape measure.

Sorry no pictures up yet I have some just didn't get the chance to get that done yet
Last edited by adronl on Sun May 17, 2009 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 17, 2009 6:41 pm

Hmm...yeah, you don't want to shoot this thing at objects, especially at short-range. At point blank I'm sure you could break a window.

Is this something you plan to sell?

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun May 17, 2009 6:47 pm

That is up for debate I was kinda wanting to keep it but I can always make another one better. I don't want to give final word on that but it may very well come up for sale. The guy investing thinks it is a good idea. Let me think about it If I do sell it, It is sure to include a big warning label. :D

On another note with the 1 1/2" nozzle like the SCII has this thing fires for a good while. We are firing it loaded with about 5 gallons of water and 1 pressurized air. Also without the nozzle it is just under 6 ft tall

Edited I had the numbers for water and air a bit high
Last edited by adronl on Mon May 18, 2009 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

zerg

Post by zerg » Mon May 25, 2009 7:24 pm

adronl wrote:Well the parts have arrived for the 6" water cannon and for a couple of other piston guns.
That's a little much for six inches. did you mean feet? That's the ' sign, not ".

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon May 25, 2009 7:30 pm

No, I think he means 6 inches DIAMETER.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon May 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Yes I did mean a 6 inch diameter cannon and those are parts for 5 guns I have already built them all and they fire quite well I did have some issues with the 6" cannon though. Expect me to be starting auctions next week on E-bay and there will be video links etc. Keep your fingers crossed on that.

Also the 6" by 4' cannon is for sale it will be $160.00 I am not really making any profit if you consider that I had to drive around get parts order parts spend time building them and testing.

Well the testing part wasn't bad :D

No the piece on the bottom is not part of the gun the schrader valve is located there and I had the cap and valve stem removed, so the off center piece is just temporarily protecting the schrader valve. Also if you buy it you will not get the exact 6" cannon pictured but one better made, same size, and painted.
Last edited by adronl on Tue May 26, 2009 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.