Design specs for cps systems

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
adronl

Design specs for cps systems

Post by adronl » Sun May 10, 2009 1:17 am

I am interested in specs for cps systems anyone got the design spec for the baddest super soaker cps system you know of. I am looking for inspiration not to duplicate but to create something similar (better is the idea)

Silence

Re: Design specs for cps systems

Post by Silence » Sun May 10, 2009 3:51 am

Look at the patent listing that Ben compiled. The CPS 2000 came out in 1996; the patents around that time should be applicable. Good luck!

You can also search for homemade CPS water guns - there's a lot of information on them, actually.

cantab

Post by cantab » Sun May 10, 2009 6:41 pm

One interesting thing is that CPSes often use relatively low pressures - lower than many air pressure guns. They gain their power both from the fact that the pressure doesn't drop much as they empty, and from the use of large-diameter pipes between the chamber and the nozzle. The latter is particularly important - it's also why the APH can be so powerful, because the pipes used are wider than the internals of most commercial water blasters.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun May 10, 2009 6:50 pm

Cool Well I was thinking about making a more conventional design but instead I am just going to use some of the ideas. Another question I have is does anyone know where to find some high grade bladders. I know I heard about people using balloons for pressure but was that encapsulated in pvc or something.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 10, 2009 7:43 pm

Ben talks about "latex rubber tubing," which you can get from McMaster-Carr, in the article about CPS homemades.

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun May 10, 2009 8:27 pm

I was kind of thinking novelty baloons like the ones you used to be able to get at the grocery store that were a foot in diameter and 6ft long when inflated. I have a feeling that the latex tubing wouldn't expand predictably and there would be weak spots also you would have to use a water based lubricant on the inside of the PVC cylinder also I would need to find the right fitting to mount up to the inside. Seal it then pressurize the chamber no need for the added complication of built in pump, separate water reservior and extra valves like the super soaker CPS systems. Has this been done befor ethat you know of?

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun May 10, 2009 8:37 pm

Then the rubber part is pointless - it's only there for pressurization.

You'd end up with something very similar to what you've built. Look at Supercannon and SuperCAP - both use air pressure in such a manner.

adronl

Post by adronl » Sun May 10, 2009 10:28 pm

I looked at the designs you are talking about and the principle of the Supercannon you got right with the fact that water don't float and modifying the cap would have to be done. On the Supercap the only thing similar is the rubber tube that holds/pressurizes the water and the 4" PVC housing. On the SuperCap the housing serves little to no mechanic function It protects the bladder and keeps it from expanding too much and protects from outer penetration. My Idea is for a horizontal water storage, not creating the pressure the main toss up is will it work right. I am exploring the idea because it may be possible to permanently pressurize the tank with air (aside from maintenance) just refill with water and you have 80-100 psi ready to go. One issue is, is it more time efficient with reloading than a piston gun? Will the layered balloons try and push out, if so is there a solution, will the force of the water be able to compress the air enough. It will be kind of a hybrid of sorts but most of the pressure will come from air if that's what you mean by it will be similar to what I have already built.
Last edited by adronl on Mon May 11, 2009 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon May 11, 2009 1:31 am

Supercannon II uses a piston to separate the air and water, which is much simpler, stronger, and more reliable than a bladder.

SuperCAP does not use a bladder.

You can't permanently store pressurized air in the tank and have an unlimited reserve of energy to fire with. If the water gun works, it would be because of the energy you spent trying to force the water in, which makes it a pre-charger.

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon May 11, 2009 1:56 am

Whoa I brain farted whoops I was thinking the SuperCPS when I mentioned the bladder. On the pre-charger Yeah that is what I am getting at forcing the water in with a male to male connector connected to your outside faucet or the cold water line behind your washer, there should be at least 60psi coming out of the average faucet. All you need to do is close the valve once the flow stops. But for that matter maybe you can build a precharged piston gun
Last edited by adronl on Mon May 11, 2009 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

adronl

Post by adronl » Mon May 11, 2009 6:11 am

So I was sitting here thinking of how to possibly use a left over piece from the 8" pipe and the most ridiculous idea popped into my head a Pre-charged Revolver :eek: lol yeah.