Spring Mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
blaze

Post by blaze » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:54 am

I posted this in WaterWar.net and decided to post it here too for you that Don't surf there. It's my Water Warriors Hydro Power mod, equivalent to a K-Mod for a CPS. What I wrote this for is especially for a Blazer, but if you do this to a Pirahna or Lightning just use one spring platform thing.

I recently bought a Blazer and didn't like the power, so I made this mod for it.
First, open up your Blazer. Be careful not to break the pressure gauge wires or you can't use it. Next, take out the PCs (they are both attached to each other). Now, unscrew the case of the PC. Now, take two springs, about 2 inches long each, with a resistance of 7 or 8 pounds (EDIT FOR SSC: Use more resistance, around 10 probably for the most power). You could use more resistance, but I didn't, and did not know if it would work as well, as the Blazer is already hard to pump. Get out the hot glue. Now, hot glue one end of one spring to the middle of the inside part of a large juice bottle cap (about 1.5" diameter is good). Now, drill a small hole in the center of the cap, going through the hot glue. Do the same with the other spring. Now, get two identical bottoms to plastic containers and cut circles about four inches in diameter out. Hot glue the other ends of the springs to the centers of these. Now you should have these on each spring platform from top to bottom: cap, glue, spring, glue, plastic disc. Ok just checking. Now, take the hot glue and put a ring of hot glue on the top of each bottle cap, and place each one on one side of the inside of the top (silver plastic part) of the PC. The hole that was drilled in the juice caps through the center part of the springs will now release air from the chamber since the juice cap would have originally blocked air flow and messed up your soaker. Now, you should have two platforms (the plastic discs) that are springy in your PC, so that when the diaphragm moves up, it hits the platform and gets more resistance. Put your soaker back together. With this mod, rangewise, my Blazer can go a few extra feet on teh regular nozzles, and can reach 35 feet maximum in on my drilled-9x-sized nozzle, which is not bad. The mod may sound a bit complicated, but it is really fairly simple. I had more trouble taking the PC apart (way too many screws) than doing this mod.

You could also do this mod to a Pirahna or Lightning, but with only one spring platform since there is only one diaphragm in those.

So that was my mod. I should have used stronger springs, but it was a pain to open the PC so im not going to do it over. Also please do not say that you thought of this mod first. Many people so far have said that to me and the fact is that we all thought of it by ourselves so in a way we all invented it. Except for me, I improved on it with the platform and juice cap "equipment" and I actually did it. Also, you could do this mod with like 12 or 13 pound resistance springs and do a check valve freeze.

--blaze

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:06 am

I don't think this is like a K-mod or colossus, because it doesn't come close in power upgrade. Although, I wonder how much the strength of the spring would make it hard to pump. Someone buff should do like 25 pounds of resistance. That's almost half the resistance on a motorcycle spring shock. Hey, that's funny. :Hey, that's funny.:
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

blaze

Post by blaze » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:10 am

Originally posted by BlueSmudge@Jun 5 2004, 08:06 PM
I don't think this is like a K-mod or colossus, because it doesn't come close in power upgrade. Although, I wonder how much the strength of the spring would make it hard to pump. Someone buff should do like 25 pounds of resistance. That's almost half the resistance on a motorcycle spring shock. Hey, that's funny. :Hey, that's funny.:
This is why I said about a thousand times that you should use more resistance. You obviously didn't read the entire article.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:12 am

No I did, but you recomended only a couple pounds more, which would only change like a foot of range. I'm saying like doubling the amout of pounds per square inch. If your strong enough.
BlueSoak.net

blaze

Post by blaze » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:16 am

Originally posted by BlueSmudge@Jun 5 2004, 08:12 PM
No I did, but you recomended only a couple pounds more, which would only change like a foot of range. I'm saying like doubling the amout of pounds per square inch. If your strong enough.
I doubt it would just be a foot of range, Blue. If you were to use 15-20, you would NEED to do a check valve freeze or your gun would only pump like 5 times, probably. I used 6.5 lb. resistance springs for mine, and 10 lbs. of resistance is much stronger and will make the soaker much more powerful than just with 6.5 lb. ones.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Jun 06, 2004 4:31 am

It would probably only pump 3 times anywayz, because it would be to physicaly difficult. Like on my 12k. I can only easily get in 3-5 before it gets hard. It may be a short burst, but the outpoot and range is huge.
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 06, 2004 1:34 pm

Stop arguing you two, before I ban you both.

I wouldn't have done the hot glue and other stuff personally. All I would have done is put the springs in the chambers, make sure they were about an inch longer than needed. That may decrease capacity, but it would make the mod much more simple.

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Jun 06, 2004 3:53 pm

I would do this if I had a Blazer.

By The Way, Blaze, I don't like your bragging signature. :angry:
I don't check this forum anymore.

blaze

Post by blaze » Sat Jun 12, 2004 4:48 am

Originally posted by DoomSoaker@Jun 6 2004, 05:34 AM
Stop arguing you two, before I ban you both.

I wouldn't have done the hot glue and other stuff personally. All I would have done is put the springs in the chambers, make sure they were about an inch longer than needed. That may decrease capacity, but it would make the mod much more simple.
doom, this was originally what I was going to do. however, it is not as simple as it seems. a naked spring would tear up the diaphram and fall out of place, as well as not even the resistance well.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 13, 2004 1:32 am

Well, I would center it with some tape, like electrical tape. I'd also use a cloth or something to prevent it from damaging anything. That sounds to me to be the best way to do that.

blaze

Post by blaze » Sun Jun 13, 2004 4:44 am

trust me on this one, doom. this is the best way to go. the cap lets it be stabalized more, the plastic disc molds to the shape of the diaphram and also evens the resistance. like I said, I was going to make it simple at first like you are mentioning, but as I opened it and researched the diaphram, I realized that it was better to do it the way I mentioned (otherwise I wouldn't have done it! ;) )

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:05 am

Whatever, when I try this I'm doing it my way. I likey won't do it on a Blazer though, I never make trips to K-Mart. Lightning/Piranha is what I'll likely do it to, the only real differences (other than size, ect.) are the fact that is has one PC and less nozzles. It being a smaller gun (compared to other CPS types), some may be very surprised.

Jangadance

Post by Jangadance » Mon Jun 14, 2004 9:32 pm

I breezed over the mod writeup, once I read that it was on a BuzzBee soaker and it involved a spring I had a fair guess what it would be. I would have to agree with Blaze that the best way to increase pressure on the chamber would be with a platform that had a spring behind it. That way, the pressure is spread out over the whole rubber chamber. It would allow for you to use a higher-gauge spring since it will have the entire rubber section pushing up on the platform rather than just 1 spot where the spring hits the rubber.

1 question: where do you suggest buying springs and how do you measure the pounds rating? I have bought springs at Home Depot before to use in Nerf guns, they worked fairly well. I don't recall them having a rating listed however.

blaze

Post by blaze » Mon Jun 14, 2004 10:34 pm

I bought my springs, which came in a 2 pack, at the Home Depot. The cardboard piece on the plastic bag with the springs in it said that the resistance was 6.5 lbs. I have heard of some speacialty stores that have the exact length and resitance you want, but I didn't need to go to one so I just stuck to the Home Depot. If the springs come without a bag or something, ask someone who works there about it.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:57 am

You might also want to know Janga that the spring mod was my idea a few months back when Big Bee first started posting. Blaze reinvented it (without knowledge of my idea) and was the first to try it. I would use springs 2-3 times as powerful as what blaze used btw, and do a check valve freeze. If 6.5 pounds equals about 30 balloons in a K mod (because blaze didn't do a check valve freeze), then 15 pound will be about 70 balloons. I also would try to make the Blazer's internal diameter larger (past the PCs) with PVC or something because it looks a little thin. Then it might be a real performance blaster for it's size.