Effective Rushing?

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
WaTer FigHt NoOb

Effective Rushing?

Post by WaTer FigHt NoOb » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:57 pm

I was just wondering what everybodies opinion on how to rush effectivley.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:14 am

So, by rushing, do you just mean charging a position in a rigid formation? If that's the case, then don't do it. It's possible to be aggressive while not being rash (or rush, pun intended :p ); analyze the enemy's position and judge accordingly. Usually, though, if you have to rush, you're probably going up against a fortification (natural or man-made), and in my mind, it's always better to flank an enemy rather than rush. I'll explain why if you really need to know, but for now, just listen to whatever Duxburian says :p .

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:26 am

Rushing can be used tactically, however, when the word "rush" comes to mind, most think of a reckless charge made by little kids with nothing to lose, being completely soaked already. In that case, there is nothing to know other than sprinting blindly and unleashing whatever you've got. But if you want a tactical analysis on rushing then read on...

Rushing is the last thing you want to do in an open field or in a dense grove of plants. The best place to rush is in semi-open terrain with middle-distance cover [like a forest with little ground vegetation and spaced trees]. The best time depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Rushing is part of the best method of taking a hill. A lightning-fast oblique, left or right, is extremely hard to counter even if you know it's coming. "How to take a hill in 30 seconds" is part of my future tactics "book" and does highlight the importance of the rush, when used correctly.

Another use of the sterotypical mad charge in tactical warfare is right after an ambush or when an enemy, badly outmatched, turns to flee. That's when you can come at their backs swifty and perhaps score an easy kill. Most enemies are not used to being sprinted after when they retreat. The smartest enemies will counter with the hated Sprinters' Ambush, so rushing repeatedly after retreating enemies can be risky. When fighting a stupid enemy, don't waste the time thinking about counters, just CHASE THEM! :p

Another use of the rush is when time is winding down and one team is in the hole. Action in the last half hour of a battle can be furious. A 6-5 game can suddenly explode to 16-9 if one side shows desperate aggression. The more desperate an enemy, the more likely it is that they will hit you with that "nothing to lose" attitude late in the game. This is one situation where a mad charge will not be controlled and the other side may end up running away. It takes guts to repulse a spirited rush, when said rush is backed up by good guns and experienced fighters.

Another use of the rush is to take out a water balloon launcher. Anti-artillery tactics call for you to get to that launcher ASAP, but wisely. Using trees and other cover, a sweeping team will overwhelm a launcher if they get there fast enough and smartly enough. That is not a time for a heroic charge head-on. :rolleyes:

The best way to counter a rush is to use weapons with high sting factors or high output-range. No sane person will rush a launcher or water cannon head-on, and likewise, no one will rush a loaded modded gun or homemade with a big riot blast. If you have one of those weapons, a counter-charge will halt the enemy charge, break it up, and/or reverse the momentum if they flee. The guy [or girl] who keeps his or her head and has a gun to be confident in will stand their ground.

Hopefully that was insightful. For those coming to the Regional War, take note that I don't like getting rushed and you won't like the counters I use. :p
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:13 am

If "rushing", then take care, at least until experienced.

There could easily be an ambush or booby traps waiting for the unwary.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

DX

Post by DX » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:01 pm

The Sprinters' Ambush is a deadly counter to the rush, when playing tactically. Know they're coming? Run away, but leave hidden men behind to dish out damage when the enemy runs by.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!